Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 5, 2009, 4:41 PM   #11

Hope spelling doesnt count here. That was tewible :-)
vexedviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 6:39 PM   #12

vexedviking wrote:
Quote:
... Great advice on the lens. Im hoping the Henrys in town carries the Tamron product line. Cheaper and better works fine with me. I did find a 70-200 minolta lens for this camera used, what do you think of those?
If that's a 70-210mm f/4.0, that's the 'Beercan' of myth and legend. It is very good and goes for less than $200 on eBay. If the zoom range is ok for what you want to shoot, you won't find anything better at twice the price.

A few notes of caution about the 'Beercan' though. It's big (6.25" long and 3" in diameter) and heavy (1 lb. 9 oz.). It's not the fastest focusing lens, but it's faster than most in it's price range, and I use it to shoot equestrian sports and I don't have any problems. And lastly, the front element rotates during focusing, so using a polarizing filter can be difficult.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 7:31 PM   #13

And if your local Henry's doesn't carry Tamron lenses in the A Mount, DO NOT get the Sigma 70-300. It has a history of stripping the gears when mounted to the newer Sony Alpha dSLRs.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 7:59 PM   #14

very helpfull info thank you
Old Jan 6, 2009, 4:29 AM   #15

I have a line on a Sigma 75-210mm and a minolta 35-70mm with several filters with a minolta 35mm cam and bag for 80$ Does this sound OK for what I would need untill I can afford a better zoom lens?
Old Jan 6, 2009, 8:08 AM   #16

vexedviking wrote:
Quote:
I have a line on a Sigma 75-210mm ...
I can't find anything on a Sigma 75-210 lens, but Sigma did make several 70-210 lenses, and except for the ones with the maximum aperture of f/2.8, they're nothing really special. And if what you're talking about is theSigma75-200 f/2.8-3.5, then there's a good chance that it won't work with your camera. Early Sigma A Mount lenses (and this is one) only worked with Minolta's early autofocus film cameras. In addition, it's a push-pull zoom, which is awkward.

vexedviking wrote:
Quote:
... and a minolta 35-70mm ...
Minolta madetwo versions of a 35-70mm lens.One was an f/3.5-4.5 (worth about $30-$40) and the other was an f/4.0 Macro (worth about $50.) Both are nice lenses. Where their ranges overlap, they're better than the kit lens, and the macro is nice to have.

vexedviking wrote:
Quote:
... with several filters with a minolta 35mm cam and bag for 80$ Does this sound OK for what I would need untill I can afford a better zoom lens?
This doesn't amount to much (with the possible exception of the 35mm camera, of course, but not likely). If the telephoto zoom is an f/2.8, jump on it before the seller realizes what he's got. Otherwise, everythingis just stuff that will keep you from getting what you really need.

Which, by the way, you have yet to give us a clue about. What do you want to shoot?
Old Jan 6, 2009, 4:55 PM   #17

The package is as follows:

A complete 35mm package:
- Minolta 3xi camera body
- Minolta AF 35-70mm zoom lens with protective filter
- Sigma UC-II AF 70-210mm, 1:4-5.6 zoom lens with protective filter
- Cokin filter system including sepia, sunset, soft and polarizing filters
- all manuals
- padded case

I want to shoot my daughter at the beach and in the water. I also enjoy taking pictures of nature and scenery. Family get togethers. group shots. pets. You get the idea. Hope this clarifies things :-) I did say 75-210, as you can see my memory isnt what it used to be.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 6:50 PM   #18

vexedviking wrote:
Quote:

A complete 35mm package:
- all manuals
- padded case

I want to shoot my daughter at the beach and in the water. I also enjoy taking pictures of nature and scenery. Family get togethers. group shots. pets. You get the idea. Hope this clarifies things :-) I did say 75-210, as you can see my memory isnt what it used to be.
The Minolta AF 35-70mm is nice, whichever one it is. See the Dyxum listing for the Sigma UC-II AF 70-210mm, 1:4-5.6. The Cokin Filter System is very nice, but most of what it can do can be done in the camera or in post processing, and make sure the polarizing filter is the #164 circular polarizer. The #160 Linear Ploarizer interferes with autofocus systems.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 8:01 PM   #19

Went to the dyxum listing and couldnt find the lens, Do you feel its all woth the 80 he is asking. Your help has been a real god send. Thanks againTCav wrote:
Quote:
vexedviking wrote:
Quote:

A complete 35mm package:
- all manuals
- padded case

The Minolta AF 35-70mm is nice, whichever one it is. See the Dyxum listing for the Sigma UC-II AF 70-210mm, 1:4-5.6. The Cokin Filter System is very nice, but most of what it can do can be done in the camera or in post processing, and make sure the polarizing filter is the #164 circular polarizer. The #160 Linear Ploarizer interferes with autofocus systems.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 8:02 PM   #20

Nevermind I didnt realize you had given me a link . I will read itvexedviking wrote:
Quote:
Went to the dyxum listing and couldnt find the lens, Do you feel its all woth the 80 he is asking. Your help has been a real god send. Thanks againTCav wrote:
Quote:
vexedviking wrote:
Quote:

A complete 35mm package:
- all manuals
- padded case