Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 6, 2009, 3:04 PM   #11

Wrightone wrote:
Quote:
Now I need to find a good deal...
If you check out the buy boxes within our reviews, most of the time they have the best deals available on the internet.

Good luck!

-Billy
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 3:11 PM   #12

wrightone-

The Canon A-590 is a very well respected camera. It does not have a wide angle position on the lens and a limited zoom range. But it is very capable camera and it even has a nice optical viewfinder. It is currently very well priced, but the A-590 is no longer being manufactured and the remaining inventory is flying off the dealer's shelves rapidly.

If those specs work for you, go for the A-590, its a great little camera. Here is a sample photo from the A-590.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 4:23 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Hi Rightone,

The FZ28 is a great camera, I'm just went back to your original post and superzoom wasn't essential and small size was important. Is this going to be too large a package for you though, I know what I'm like if it is too big then it wont go out with me.

If it is going to be too large then I would put another vote in for the TZ5 as it's not nearly as bad as Sarah makes out. Yes the FZ28 does have a better/brighter lens but that adds size so everything is a compromise, going to ultimate quality then you go dSLR but even more so size is compromised.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 4:30 PM   #14
Super Moderator

I should have added two other things about buying new cameras.

1, If you wait (as mentioned) there will always be something new around the corner.

2, If you do wait then you will not be able to get better quality shooting with a new camera.

So if you are happy with what you have now and the current models don't quite give what you want then it's best to wait, but if you are ready to upg now then upg now.

Oh and lastly once you've got a new camera don't keep looking at the prices as generally they come down (the FZ28 is a strange one as it was cheaper last summer), and also don't lookat the new range and think I wish I had waited as surely there will be something new and improved.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 4:34 PM   #15

It appears as though the FZ28 will be a substantial upgrade from my old S70 (although in a larger size).

I believe my choices are: 1) Keep the S70 as my onlycamerafor a bit longer, 2) go with the Panasonic FZ28 for about $300, or 3) go with the Canon A-590 for about $125 (or less).

My S70 has served me very well. Is it time to go to something much better like the FZ28, or is the A590 enough? Or is the A590NOT going to be dramatically 'better' than the S70.

What would you do???

Definately going to be a comprimise of some sort.

Sorry to bother the forum with my indecision!
Wrightone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 5:05 PM   #16

wrightone-

The purchasing of the Canon A-590 will give you a camera that is almost equal to your present Canon S-70 camera. However, this is a money saving strategy.

The purchasing of the Panasonic FZ-28 will be a sizable upgrade from your current Canon S-70 camera. You are going to get a much better camera, with many more capabilities. However, the cost will be around $(US) 300.00.

Only you ccan make that decision, as you know your own budget demands. However, if the budget would allow the purchase of the FZ-28, it will you to expand your photographic knowledge and experience.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 6, 2009, 11:11 PM   #17

Good advice.

Thanks!

Looks like the FZ28 is the way to go for me at the moment.
Wrightone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 3:10 PM   #18

Hi Wrightone,

Great choice. I've got the FZ18, kindly recommended by Sarah Joyce- purchased for a 3 week trip round China, landscape, architecture etc - and have been so chuffed with it I've not visited this forum for months! However now I'm eyeing up the FZ28.... I would add in support of the long zoom: you might not think you need it now but youcould be very glad when you've got it. It enabled me to get some great shots of one of the 4 thousand year old hanging coffins, which was a 30 metres and them some above us.

I'd also add that my sister was on the same trip. She bought the Panny TZ3, I think it was, and has been very pleased with it - but kept borrowing the FZ18 for the longer zoom...!

Wibblemore
Wibblemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 3:48 PM   #19

Hello, Wibblemore-

It been a long time since I have seen you in the Forum. I am so glad to hear that you are so very pleased with the performance of your FZ-18 in China. I must admit that I was more than a bit hesitant to switch so quickly to the FZ-28. But, now that I have used it for 4 1/2 months I can report that it is everything the FZ18 was with the wonderful addition of a new ability: the capability to take very good photos at ISO 800 in a low light level shooting.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 8, 2009, 4:15 PM   #20

Hi Sarah Joyce,

Thank you for the welcome back. I've been happy with the FZ18, so although I've looked at the site a few times brieflyI didn't feel the need to research anything else...however now there's the FZ28...and I'm also wondering if it's a good idea to switch right now as I usually have my cameras for more than a year. I might have to drool for a little longer!

The low light capability sounds good, as does the capacity to zoom in video mode (most of my shots are stills, but the video's proved useful for things like falconry demonstrations when those darned birds are just too fast for me) Ooo, does it have automatic 'perspective detection' I think it is - ie, does it automatically turn your pictures the right way when taking portrait orientated shots?

Wibblemore
Wibblemore is offline   Reply With Quote