Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:14 AM   #1

Icurrently havea Canon Powershot S70 that has seen a lot of use. It has manual and autocontrols, wide opical (28mm I believe), and is realtively compact. Technology seems to have passed this camera by, and I feel the need to purchase a new one. There doesn't seem to be a direct replacement though.

My photography is mostly outdoors. People, architecture, landscape, etc..., although the camera goes everywhere with me and is used indoors also. The wide angle of 27 or 28mm is important to me, although super zoom probably isn't as critical. A somewhat compact size is important. It doesn't need to fit in my pocket though.

The two cameras that seem to fit my needs are the Panasonic FZ28, and the Canon G10. I know these cameras are different, but both seem to have many positive qualities.

Really like the quality/value of the FZ28. But it does have the super zoom that I may not need, and it is slightly larger.

The G10 fits my needs fairly well, but it may not perform as well in lower light. Not surethe need for 14MP. Also is pricier.

Another option is to wait 8 months or so for the next models. My S70 is still operational.

Thanks for any advice!!!
Wrightone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2009, 10:29 AM   #2

To my eyes, the Panasonic FZ28 is slightly less noisy at ISO 400 and 800 but the G10 has a sharper picture. Neither camera is very good at ISO 1600.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 10:51 AM   #3

wrightone-

Steve has done thorough professional reviews on both the Canon G-10 and the Panasonic FZ-28. You might find your answer right in the two reviews.

For me, the answer was the FZ-28. Like you, I would never use all of the zoom on the FZ-28, but my requirements were mostly for a good low light level camera, with an ocassional need for good flash performance for group shots. The camera also have to cover the usual family fun of vacations, special events, and school activities and yes, some landscapes too.

I purchased the FZ-28 with the DigiSlave 3000 flash. The cost of both the FZ-28 and the flash was less than the G-10 alone and I got a great performing camera and flash. Your requirements and mileage may vary, but there were too many MP crammed onto the G-10 imager to make me happy, andI judged the G-10 tohave only a limited low light shooting capability.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 2:03 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick replies.

Seems like the FZ28 fits my requirements fairly well.

Is there any merit in waiting 6 or 8 months to see what new models are coming later in 2009. I know therewill always be something newer coming, but my S70 is still functioning and I could wait.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 3:10 PM   #5

As you said, there is always something new coming out, but I wouldn't wait. If there is a replacement for the FZ28, it will probably cost more for the first few months at least.

Another camera that you might consider (Maybe youhave.) is the Panasonic TZ5. I think the picture quality of the FZ28 is better, at least in low light, but the TZ5 (and little brother TZ4) are extremely portable and do have the wide angle 28mm setting available.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 3:22 PM   #6

I surely do agree with robbo-

The FZ-28 meets your needs very nicely. Anything new is going to be a full list price for the first three or four months. The FZ-28 reached its lowest USA price during the summer when it got down to $(US) 235.00. Since then the price has gone back up again somewhat.

I do however disagree with robbo on the TZ-4/5 suggestion. It is an OK pocket zoom but it just does not have the low light and image quality capabilities of the FZ-28. You see I own the TZ-5. It does fairly well out of doors. However, it has a very weak built-in flash unit and it is not well adapted to low light venues and an ISO 800 setting. Here is a TZ-5 photo sample show it in low light and ISO 800.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jan 5, 2009, 7:43 PM   #7

OK. The FZ28 is the one.

Now I need to find a good deal...

Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 7:46 PM   #8

wrightone-

I hate to say this but the very best price on the Panasonic FZ-28 was during this past summer when it was down to $(US) 235.00.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 5, 2009, 8:42 PM   #9

Wow. That is a great price. It seems to be around $300 most places (on sale).
Old Jan 6, 2009, 1:46 PM   #10

I have another question!

What are the merits of the Canon A590.

I believe the optical zoom is 35mm to about 140mm. Maybe not wide enough.

Extremely good value. Great Deals of about $125?

Is it a worthy replacement for my old powershot S70? Or should I just go ahead with the Panasonic FZ28.

(This is more difficult than I thought)