Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 5, 2009, 8:19 PM   #11

rinnie-

I really love Nick Bland's work with the Fuji F-100. It is beautiful, with excellent composition. However, in all fairness, we have to idicate that Nick Bland takes most every one of his Fuji F-100 photo on a nice, sturdy tripod. That is why he gets such great results! I really admire his work a lot.

However, most of the regular folks posting here in the Forum are not about to drag a nice, sturdy tripod along with them in their camera kit.

The point I was attempting to make is simply this: if you are willing to move just slightly higher on the camera food chain to something like a Sony H-10 (same approximate price BTW) you can really increase your image quality a lot.

Take a look at this photo sample for instance. It is a Sony H-10 photo with better image quality, but you also get the benefit of 10X optical zoom and an industry beating flash range of 23 feet.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:05 PM   #12

"However, in all fairness, we have to idicate that Nick Bland takes most every one of his Fuji F-100 photo on a nice, sturdy tripod. That is why he gets such great results!"

Do you know that for a fact, Sarah?

My point was, horrible amateur pics on pbase are about as reliable as disgruntled user reviews on Amazon for determining the relative worth of a camera. Nick's F100 album shows what that camera is really capable of.

Perhaps I should have added a disclaimer...

WARNING: Photographs taken by a professional photographer on a closed test track. Do not try this at home. Results may vary by individual. Your's will probably be considerably worse.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:53 PM   #13

Yep, Rinnie-

That is why Nick Bland's F-100 photos look so very good. I would love to say hey, look at this, I took it hand held. But the bottomline is that the advantages of a good, sturdy tripod cannot be discounted.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 6, 2009, 6:00 AM   #14

Sarah,

I'm not discounting the use of a good, sturdy tripod - they are extremely valuable tools, and no photographer should be without one.

My question to you is, how do you know that Nick Bland used a tripod to take the F100 pictures in the link that I posted in this thread? Do you know him personally? Did you ask him? Is it mentioned somewhere on his website? Is it in the EXIF data?

How do you know?

the Hun

Old Jan 6, 2009, 9:04 AM   #15

I appreciate all of your help.

The Hun - I definitely see your point about amateur pictures and Amazon ratings. That's why I came to the professionals that might have used these cameras before to get good feedback!

I checked out that site with the comparometer - thanks...just have to make sure I look at the full res images because the small comparisons again have compression artifacts. I did noticed on the full res versions of images like the house poster - all of the cameras seem to be blurrier. The look fine scaled down. I'm just surprised at how they looked at their native size. I compared the fuji f100 to a higher end camera like the rebel. See attached.

In all reality it might be a matter of buying more than 1 camera and returning it but I just wanted a good option to start with.

Attached Images

matt2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 6:59 PM   #16

Hey matt,

Maybe this one will meet your standards...

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...K3FARCON01.HTM

Around $6600...give or take a couple of dollars...oh...that's just for the camera body...

the Hun

Old Jan 6, 2009, 8:14 PM   #17

Now you're just toying with me. :-) That is great quality! So six grand will get you there, huh?

Thanks Hun.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 8:32 PM   #18

Matt-

However, you have to understand that small and ultra small/compact camera have their limitations. We really have attempted to get that message across to you.

We have shown you multiple photo samples from the Sony H-10 which produces measurably better image quality, but you have made no comments at all.

A slight move-up in size yields some very improved image quality. Is that acceptable to you?? Oh, BTWthis was the Sony H-10 picture of the day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:38 AM   #19

My apologies that I didn't provide much back on your comments. I sort of blanketed it all with the "I appreciate all of your help" comment.

Sarah, I did check out the images you posted with the Sony H-10. The images look much better for the most part, IMO. I will go out this week sometime and see if they have them in stock at the local Best Buy/CC to see just how big it feels when handling it.

You all have been so helpful. Thanks again.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:51 PM   #20

I couldn't find images on the comparometer for the Pentax S12 - any good?