Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 6, 2009, 11:31 AM   #11

OK, I can try this on her. At COSTCO, I get 2% back on all purchases and this kit is lower than Abes, Adormama, or B&H by a couple hundred plus about $45 in COSTCO credit:

$2,239.99 after $300 Savings

Nikon D300 12.3MP 3"
18-200mm VR Lens

That's $2420.32 with tax. Then, of course, there will be filters, back up battery, etc.

I don't think I can get her to spring for this, but...
FatherJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 11:33 AM   #12
Super Moderator

The 18-200 is really not going to be long enough for most wildlife work.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 11:36 AM   #13

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
The 18-200 is really not going to be long enough for most wildlife work.
On top of that, like every other super-zoom lens it's not very high quality compared to quality zoom lenses witth shorter focal ranges.

Not saying Nikon is bad - it's very good. But that's a poor lens choice if quality is an important factor. Great for the entry level person who wants convenience and no lens changes and isn't as concerned about ultimate quality. And a great travel lens. But it's benefit is convenience not quality. And, as Mark mentioned it's way too short for wildlife work.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 11:41 AM   #14

JohnG - thanks for the good info.

I priced the 50D and that lens and came up with

$1069.95 + $1246 = $2315.95 - less than the Nikon I priced.

I would still want another lens for wide angle, though and that would put it too high, I think.

I appreciate all the info, everyone! You are really VERY helpful!

Oh, as as for the PC and Photoshop; I use CS3 now for all my editing. CS4, if I went there, says that lots of RAM on the video card is very important. That is where it gets really expensive. I could get less, but again - it better last me 7 years or more.

If I could sell more of my photos (one in the last 3 months), maybe I could look for more.

Thanks again; you don't know how much I appreciate all your knowledge.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 12:57 PM   #15

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Well, in regards to your PC and software plight - $5k is a huge hunk of change. No need to spend that kind of money if photo editing is the most intensive thing you'll do. The key to photo editing is memory and fast hard drive. Video card doesn't matter much and neither does CPU for that matter (within reason). I'm happily editing my photos on a 5 year old PC or a $1200 laptop. If you were doing video then things get tougher - but you said you're not.
You are right, John! I priced a system at DELL and this looks pretty good for under $2K. Anyone see any problems with it?

PROCESSORIntel® Core™ 2 Quad Processor Q9550 (12MB Cache,2.83GHz,1333FSB)

OPERATING SYSTEMGenuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit

WARRANTY AND SERVICE2Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis

MEMORY8GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs

HARD DRIVE1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 32MB Cache

OPTICAL DRIVEDual Drives: 48x Combo + 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capable

MONITORSDell S2409W 24" Full HD Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

VIDEO CARDATI RADEON HD 4670 512MB

SOUND CARDIntegrated 7.1 Channel Audio

SPEAKERSNo speakers (I have speakers)

BLUETOOTH AND MEDIA READERDell 19 in 1 Media Reader with Bluetooth
FLOPPY & MEDIA READERDell Media Card Reader included in Dell Bluetooth Package

Old Jan 6, 2009, 1:09 PM   #16
Super Moderator

As for the Cameras, there is no point in getting the D300 with such a short lens you would just be throwing your money away. If as it sounds the budget won't stretch that far then you are possibly better going with something like the 40D with kit lens for about £950 and the Canon 100-400. Or if you want the higher spec 50D then go with a lower spec PC than you are looking at, yes it seems really nice but you will really not make the most out of that for the amount of photo editing you will likely do. If you were playing a lot of games editing video etc then this would be great but you are potentially throwing money in the wrong direction. A good camera and lens combo is going to do a lot more than a good computer, if you skimp on your kit then you still won't sell any work.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 1:09 PM   #17

I sympathize with your conflict between wanting an excellent camera with a long zoom for wildlife and not wanting to spend a huge chunk of money.

Have you considered the Canon SX10is? For about $350 you get a camera that's very similar to the S5is, though a bit larger, but with a huge 20x zoom that takes really fine pictures at the long end.

See http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca...rShot_SX10_IS/
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 4:51 PM   #18
NHL

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
I know an option that is liked by NHL is the D300 and one of the Sigma lenses. I will get him to chip in.
I shoot with a D300 and Bigma for over a year now (and I really agree with everyone that you'll need a longer lens):
http://www.pbase.com/nhl/sigma_50_500

However it sounds like your budget is pretty tight in which case this option might be cheaper (if you really need IS):
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=28312122

-> Someone in the thread mentioned the Tamron 200-500 if you need something lighter than the Bigma. The Tamron 200-500 is also sharper and cheaper too however it's not all metal that's all

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:30 PM   #19
Super Moderator

Another interesting option is the Pentax K20D and Bigma.

A very good combo and excellent value.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:54 PM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
...priced a system at DELL and this looks pretty good for under $2K. Anyone see any problems with it?

PROCESSORIntel® Core™ 2 Quad Processor Q9550 (12MB Cache,2.83GHz,1333FSB)
You'll get more "bang for the buck" going with the new Dell XPS Studio instead. This model uses the latest Intel Core i7 CPUs, along with with tri-channel DDR3 memory.

Dell Studio XPS Desktops

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote