Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 8, 2009, 11:31 AM   #21

Thanks for the advice on the Pentax Kelly and Sarah, I've crossed it off my list.

Kelly, I see your point about Canons being a safe bet. I've had a lot of use and fun out of my trusty old A95 over the years (I look for very different things in a camera than my wife). That said, it's low light performance is abysmal. You wouldn't set it above iso 50!

Sarah, What does the IS stand for? If it's image stabilisation, both the Canon and the Samsung have optical image stabilisation.

99% of the output of this camera will be 6x4 prints. 90% of those will have no post-processing or cropping and those which have any post-processing will only have cropping and levels. It would be better if the camera gets things near enough (doesn't have to be perfect) to get that to 100%. No noise reduction will be done, and a little noise can be tolerated. I expect I will set both cameras down from their maximum resolution as it's just overkill for her use.

From my reading, both cameras will take good enough pictures. The questions remaining are these.

1) Which has the better optical image stabilisation? I see this feature as being able to save about 50% of the shots which we currently can't use, as they are too blurry.

2) In the hands of a stressed amateur with little intrest in learning how to take good photos, and a need to get shots off quickly, which will get a "good enough" shot more often? The Canon with it's slight edge in quality, or the Samsung with the extra automatic features (blink and smile detection, etc)?

If I were buying for myself, I would go with the better base camera, as the operator can do a better job than the software with a little effort, however the way my wife will be using it, I'm leaning towards the extra automatic features on the Samsung.
MattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 12:13 PM   #22

Matt-

The IS designation stands for Image stabilization. And, yes, I know that both the Samsung and the Canon have IS. It is your choice of course. However, in as much as I was asked for my opinion, I would opt for the Canon SD-1100 camera. I sincerely believe that it will surpass, by a small margin, the performance and the image quality of the Samsung LS310W camera. Please understand that none of the cameras on your list is an ideal match for the photo conditions. So you will be dealing with compromised photos, which probably will not even benefit from any help that real post processing could provide. It is like going out to hunt elephants with a .22 calibre rifle. These are really not the right cameras for the demands.

With that said, go with the Canon SD-1100, it is probably your best shot.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 12:13 PM   #23

In my view blink and smile detection are gimmicks. My Fuji has face detection, but I never use it. For peculiar exposure or focus situations I use the spot setting instead of FD. If you want to get fancy about catching the "right moment" I would be more inclined to put a camera into continuous mode than blink or smile detection. Though continous is pretty much out for flash situations.

For a quick snap shooter in difficult lighting I would still lean more toward the Sony W-series than Canon or Samsumg.

Camera automation has its limits, even today. Where there is a significant difference in basic performance I would weigh that a lot more in the selection than fancy features.

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 12:16 PM   #24

Not to highjack the other's Matt's thread :-) but is there any difference between low light shooting with the 1100 or say the SD790 or SD880 or are all the Canon ultracompacts bad in low lighting conditions?

And Kelly, how do the Sony's hold up in comparison to the Canons? I tried using a T series (think it was T77) at Circuit City and I dunno if it was the LCD or not but the image looked like garbage.

matt2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 1:04 PM   #25

Well, Steve gives the W150 his "high recommendation" -

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_..._w150_pg5.html
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 1:11 PM   #26

Matt 2009-

Most Canon SD-cameras are not well adapted to good low level light level shooting. The only SD camera that improves ever so slightly on that low light capability id the new SD-880. The low light venue really is the domain of the Fuji cameras like the F-40, F-50, F-60, and F-100.

The Sony W-series cameras are slightly better in low light level conditions, in the W-150 and W-170 cameras. It is the Sony W-300 that has the least shutter lag of all point and shoot cameras. But again, I would like to point out that if you moved just slightly upward on the camera food chain to the Sony H-10, where you will see a very measurable improvement in the low light level capability of the camera.

Here is a good example, this attached photo was a no flash, elevated ISO setting photo taken with the Sony H-10 in the Lisbon, Portugal central train station. Notice how the action is stopped.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote