Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 6, 2009, 11:02 AM   #1

Hi,

I'm pretty new here so please bare with me, I'm trying to keep this simple for now.

Is there a ceamera in the Canon brand that woud be about the same (give or take) as the Nikon P80???

If so, do you prefer one over the other for general pictures? I only take the normal picutres of friends, indoor & outdoors, now don't laugh, I take pictures of food on the BBQ to post on my BBQ forum, we all do that there.

I do want good zoom as I live in AZ. and in the summer I love to go to places like Sedona and get shots of the red buttes or go to the Grand Canyon for pictures.

I was looking at the Canon Rebel but it's way more camera then I need.

Thanks for any help given,

Bordello
Bordello is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2009, 11:21 AM   #2

The Canon brand alternative to Nikon's P-80 camera is the SZ-10 IS. The each have some sizeable problems. I do own the P-80, but I rarely everuse it as it can be very noisy above ISO 200.

Some folks love the SX-10, which replaced the S-5, and some feel that its colors are rather bland and muted. The aperture on that lens also begins to narrow very quickly.

The alternative that I chose and am very pleased with is the Panasonic FZ-28.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 11:47 AM   #3

I would tend to agree with Sarah's recommendation of the FZ-28. I suggested it to a friend that lives in Phoenix during the winter, and back up here in the UP of Michigan in the summer. She purchased it recently and appears to be happy with it.

If you are not in a big hurry, Kodak just announce their super-zoom Z980 model. Nothing is available in the reviews, and it won't be released until spring. Here's some info on it;

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/04/k...shoot-cameras/

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 11:56 AM   #4

Thank you Sarah Joyce,

I have been here reading so much about so many different things, read your post on learning about DSLR and many other post. I'm on overload. I am in Fl. dog/house sitting but am flying back to phoeinix this afternoon, I'm running around like a chicken with it's head cut off.

I wil look at the FZ 28 while I'm waiting for my flight.

Thank you so much and I will get back here with more soon.

I have also recommended the site to my friends here in Florida, you and the forum members are a great source of information. I thank all of you for being so gererous with your knowledge.

Regards,

Bordello

Old Jan 6, 2009, 12:50 PM   #5

Hi Dennis,

I'm doing this on the run, airport timming.

Thank you for your input. I am kind of in a semi hurry. I had an Olympus C2100 UZI that got broken inbetween airports coming to Florida. I loved the camera but it' s not worth fixing.

What that means is I'm without. LOL Taking pictures of food on the Barbie to post on my BBQ forum is something I enjoy. Meaning I don't want to wait that long but am willing to wait while I figure out what I need.

Thanks,

Bordello

Old Jan 6, 2009, 2:30 PM   #6

Bordello,

Given your situation, the "best camera is the one you have with you" concept suggests you need an FZ28 ASAP! Order from Amazon, pay extra for quick shipping and get it in time for your BBQ, IMHO.

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 8:25 PM   #7

Hi Dennis,

I'm in the Dallas airport waiting for the next plane to take me into Phoenix, today has been a zoo. Thanks for your input. I will do some reading tomorrow on the FZ-28 then report back.

Sorry for posting this while I'm on the run but do thank you and Sarah Joyce for the help. I'm really on overload after reading for the last few day.

Thanks,

Bordello

Old Jan 6, 2009, 9:33 PM   #8

As long as you don't buy that darned Nikon P-80, Ill be happy. Yes, I made a huge mistake by purchasing and lost money by purchasingthe Nikon P-80. I just don't want to see anyone else fall into that trap.

The Panasonic FZ-28 will do a much, much better job for you Bordello, as both I (Sarah Joyce and Dennis) have told you. So hang in there cowboy!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 5:58 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Hi Bordello, hope you had a safe trip back.

Sarah seems to be convinced that there is a colour problem with the SX10 but from what I've seen it looks very natural. A good way to check things out is to go to flickr and type Canon SX10 or just SX10 and do the same for the Panasonic. You will find both of them do a good job. The lens on the Panasonic is a little faster (lets in more light) which can be helpful in certain situations.

If you are looking at the two then check out the comparison reviews and sample photos in the same lighting conditions.

Canon http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca...IS/index.shtml

Panasonic http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa...umix_DMC_FZ28/

If you go to the results page of either one you will see comparison shots and in the galleriesyou can check out differing scenes andhigher ISO shots from both of them.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:26 PM   #10

Hi Sarah,
Well I'm home, safe and sound, feels good to be back except for all the things one has to get caught up on, mail, wash, put things away. So it will be a crazy day.
I just did a very quick look at the FZ 28 and it looks fine plus I respect the info you, Dennis and Mark have given me. I will look at the info from Mark then decide. I will just have to wait till I get these other things caught up.

All that means is I will take the time this afternoon to do it.

Thank you again for sharing you expertise,

Bordello

I will let you know what I decide on or if I need more help I will ask.