Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 6, 2009, 6:39 PM   #1

I am stuck between these two cameras

Any thoughts or tips on which one is the best of the two?

wojoee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2009, 7:09 PM   #2

wojoee-

There are excellent professional reviews of these two cameras that have been done by Steve.

Personally, I would go for the Canon XS, as some folks have had some qualms about the D-60's color pallette. You might also read over the thread entitled "Thinking of Buying a DSLR Camera?" There is a lot of good information in that particular thread.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 7:37 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Hi and welcome to Steve's!!

It is a personal thing for a lot of people but for me the Canon is the way to go. The Nikon is a little more limited due to not having a focus motor in the camera so there are less lens options than the D80 or D90.

Getting the camera is only a part of the equation and it is essential to get the right lenses for what you want to shoot.

That leads me nicely onto my next question, what sort of things do you want to photograph as neither option might be best? Have you set a budget as the body is only a part of the equation?

Mark

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 7:56 PM   #4

In addition to what's already been said, the Canon's kit les is better than the Nikon's, and it's stabilized. Also, the Canon has 'Live View' while the Nikon doesn't.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:20 AM   #5

First let me thank you all for your responses.

Sarah....I will be reading that thread next

Mark, I am looking to upgrade a fuji S602 and SLR is the next step. I am typically taking family shots, kids playing sports ect. My local Big box has a deal right now for the Camera and a 75-300mm lens for less than $600 so I am thinking that is a deal i can't pass up

Tcav...Thanks for the post

I was leaning towards the Canon and your help has sealed the deal for me

Thanks!!!!
Old Jan 7, 2009, 4:44 AM   #6
Super Moderator

wojoee wrote:
Quote:
First let me thank you all for your responses.

Sarah....I will be reading that thread next

Mark, I am looking to upgrade a fuji S602 and SLR is the next step. I am typically taking family shots, kids playing sports ect. My local Big box has a deal right now for the Camera and a 75-300mm lens for less than $600 so I am thinking that is a deal i can't pass up

Tcav...Thanks for the post

I was leaning towards the Canon and your help has sealed the deal for me

Thanks!!!!
You're welcome.

If you are looking at the Canon with Canon 75-300mm lens there is a reason that is it not expensive, the 75-300 is not the strongest lens out there.

Are we talking indoor or outdoor sports?

For family shots then the kit 18-55 lens will work fine so that is covered.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 5:52 AM   #7

wojoee wrote:
Quote:
... My local Big box has a deal right now for the Camera and a 75-300mm lens for less than $600 so I am thinking that is a deal i can't pass up ...
"... and a 75-300mm lens ..."

As Mark1616 says, the Canon 75-300mm lens isn't very good. In fact, nobody makes a cheap75-300mm lens that's very good. They all are relatively soft and have significant chromatic aberration at the long end. Thecheapestones don't have the coatings required to prevent flare caused by internal reflections off the image sensor. The two best are the Sigma 70-300 APO and the Tamron 70-300 Di LD. The XS alone goes for about $485, so that would mean the lens in this package costs less that $115, so it's probably not one of those two.

Watch out for package deals. They often have what appears to be an attractive price, until you look closely at the junk that comes with it. And the disadvantage of all that junk is that it was money spent and replacing it means admitting that money was wasted.

I suggest you Buy the XS and save up for a better lens, unless the second lens is the Sigma APO or the Tamron Di LD.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:49 AM   #8

Mark,

Outdoor sports for the most part

I will look to see if the camera is sold here without the Extras. Either way I am going with the Canon
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:00 AM   #9

Adorama has the XS for $485 (they're out of stok on the black body, but they have the silver), and B&H has it for $490 with free shipping.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:12 AM   #10
Super Moderator

In that case you won't need fast expensive lenses, although they certainly help and are essential for high quality shots, so as an OK starting point then the Sigma or Tamron will be OK. I used to use a Tamron Di LD which I liked a little more than the Sigma (personal choice after trying both). Neither have the fastest AF so be aware that you will miss some shots but they will still do a better job than any of the superzooms.

Check out this thread http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=82it talks a bit about how my sport shooting has changed over the years and a lot of that comes down to technique. The first two shots were taken with a Konica Minolta 5D and the Tamron lens. They are not great but even with the lens could have been improved significantly if I had known then what I know now (details covered in the thread about framing, position etc).