Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:59 AM   #1

Need someof the expert point of view I seem to notice hereon Stevesdigicams:idea:, Ok wereGoing on a cruise in march. Taking my terrific PQD40 18-200VRof course and Ixus 960is in my holdall as well. I like quality items that feel well put together and offer the best picture quality at good value pricesif allfourcan be had at the same time then thats a result !.

So I want anouther back up camera in case of any loss and to beour other compact camera .

So big descision I have a newG9 unopened it cost just £229 have it on 20 days keep it or free return I am in the UK, other Options are the G10 but at £350 in the Uk expensive as its new, I do prefer the longer zoom of the G9 really compared to the shorter lens on the G10 even forgoing the 28 mm wide endthis model has, but opento your expert advice

I see is here many teachers and other expert people offering advice for those less expert like myself,and have mucho respect to those expert teachers and camera wzzes I notice give great advice so help me please to decide.

The other option is the FZ28its about the same price as a G9 but the build is not so good I tried one in store ,no metal I do value build and feel,how do they compare I wonder, ButPQ even if not so well put togetheris my goal thats why I have the wonderfull D40 but wont want to haul it every time, FZ 28 has great features .

I wonder howthe FZ28compares to the G10 / G9. I have a FZ2 and great as it is / was I allways felt it falls short these days ( just )to even my little Ixus 960is in PQ. I would like to have one of the three but open to any other points of view, I like the G9 because of its fabulous for the moneybuild / feel and £229value I think at the same price as a FZ28 that has a lower build I would say ?,

Dont like the TZ5 so please dont count that in,no peep hole for the tropical places we are going to visit, and the much lower PQ it has I believe compared to the above cameras,. Thank you for your time and expert point of view I hope you can give me some advice Rodo.,
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:10 AM   #2

rodo-

I own a Canon G-7 and the Panasonic FZ-18 and FZ-28. The FZ-18/28 cameras are about half the cost of the Canon G-10camera, so you would expect less metal and more plastic. However the PQ or image quality from the FZ-28 is excellent.

The FZ-2 was a 2mp camera and many generations of FZ cameras back. So I don't believe that is a valid judgment point. My husband and I work on cruise ship as digital camera instructors, so we are very familiar with the type of photos taken.

I often times take no flash/existing light photos of the entertainment on our cruise ship. The photo sample attached was taken with the FZ-28 at ISO 800 and you can see the colour and detail the 10mp imager was able to capture.

So functionally, the FZ-28, at least for me, is an excellent camera. However, as you well know how a camera feels in hand and how we relate to it can make a huge difference. In summary, I think the FZ-28 is worth your consideration.

Sarah Joyce

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:16 AM   #3

Rodo-

Here is another close-up sample from the FZ-28. My husband and I leave Friday morning on the World Cruise.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2009, 3:40 AM   #4

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
rodo-

I own a Canon G-7 and the Panasonic FZ-18 and FZ-28. The FZ-18/28 cameras are about half the cost of the Canon G-10camera, so you would expect less metal and more plastic. However the PQ or image quality from the FZ-28 is excellent.

The FZ-2 was a 2mp camera and many generations of FZ cameras back. So I don't believe that is a valid judgment point. My husband and I work on cruise ship as digital camera instructors, so we are very familiar with the type of photos taken.

I often times take no flash/existing light photos of the entertainment on our cruise ship. The photo sample attached was taken with the FZ-28 at ISO 800 and you can see the colour and detail the 10mp imager was able to capture.

So functionally, the FZ-28, at least for me, is an excellent camera. However, as you well know how a camera feels in hand and how we relate to it can make a huge difference. In summary, I think the FZ-28 is worth your consideration.

Sarah Joyce
Quote:
Thanks for your words of wisdom Sarah . I was so interested to see you have a G7 similar jpegs to the G9 So please tell if the FZ28 exellent you say for image quaility is in front or behind the G7 at low iso in good light.
Quote:
On the cruise I need a smaller option but with superb PQ at low iso in the sunshine .
Quote:
I only use iso 100 or 200 isomaximum most times,because my overidingconcern over all other in a small sensor camera is picture quality. I cant / wont take my dslr all the time and I am looking for the best high IQ option with decent range lens at least 200mm or more so down to G9 or FZ28 . = good price and value bothgreat IQ cameras but whichhas thebestPQ..
Quote:
I found the G9 my friend uses has very similar quality at 80 iso tomy D40 and kit lens, so its pretty good at low isos, but how does the FZ28 do up against the G7 you have at low isos , that would be very helpfull to know and a veryimportantmarker in my choice FZ28 or G9. I do see the G9 has a bit bigger sensor. but more pixells !
Quote:
Yes the G series is built a little better at a price ie G10 too expensive in the UK but G9 is ok at £229 same as FZ28.,but the FZ28 buildisnotsofar off just more plasticbut nice to touch
Quote:
Any way of courseits the IQ picture quaility more importantlyI would like to know about between these two, if you or any other experts can give an opinion then thankyou so much:bye:.
Quote:
One thing why has my post here come out grey in color, and sectioned off :shock: exuse me if I am dumb, but I am not so computer savy ! rodo
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2009, 8:22 AM   #5

rodo wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
One thing why has my post here come out grey in color, and sectioned off :shock: exuse me if I am dumb, but I am not so computer savy ! rodo
Because when you press "quote" instead of "reply" the post you are replying to will be sectioned off in a gray border. If you type your response within the gray border, that is the way it will turn out in your post.

An alternative is to press "reply" and go back to the post you are replying to and copy and paste sections of it into your response.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote