Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:02 PM   #1

Pretty much what I said above, trying to find a good deal on a Panasonic DMC-FZ28 to replace an old canon elph. I keep seeing references to the $235 price days on this camera and know I missed out on it but the best I can do for a vendor with a decent reseller rating is $300...am I missing something?

Thanks, and sorry if I am violating some rule.
Telbereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:50 PM   #2

Mike-

You can use the shopping websites to find the best price and then check the the reseller's ratings so that you don't end up with "schlock" deal. The prices around $(US) 240.00 that we saw this past summer are gone. The going price seems to be around $(US) 300.00.

Here are the websites:

www.shopping.com

www.pricegrabber.com

www.techbargains. com

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:40 PM   #3

The FZ28 was selling for $239 a month ago from a legitimate, reputable sight. As Sarah wrote, though, the price has risen recently.

If you are not sure if an etailer is reputable or not, go to:

www.resellerratings.com

I told an acquaintance about the $239 hot price for the FZ28 last month and he told me he could get it for $189. I checked out the site offering that price. Its resellerrating was less than 0.5 out of a possble 10.

Sometimes you can luck out and find a close ut or clearance price that beats anything on pricegrabber. However, usually, if something is priced unbelievablly low, you shouldn't believe it. If you have doubts, ask here first.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 9:53 AM   #4

I use reseller ratings as well. Some sites have this camera at $209 but appear to be total bait and switch.

I just can't handle the idea of paying 30% more than what was available a few months ago. ARRG
Telbereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 12:01 PM   #5

Mike-

The camera market responds very much like the stock market. When the demand is high (as it is in this case, with the FZ-28) or the inventory is low, prices rise. It is axiomatic.

Based on my excellent experience with the FZ-28, I began reporting on the FZ-28 as early as mid June 2008 when the price was still at $(US) 240.00.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 2:20 PM   #6

Telbereth wrote:
Quote:
I use reseller ratings as well. Some sites have this camera at $209 but appear to be total bait and switch.

I just can't handle the idea of paying 30% more than what was available a few months ago. ARRG
Best Buy has a great deal on the Fuji S2000hd - $204. It's not the Panasonic FZ28 but it's a pretty good ultrazoom.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 2:40 PM   #7

The Shopping link on Google is also helpful. You type in the product, and it shows you several options to choose from. Click one of the options, and it lists the product, reseller, reseller's ratings, and costs. Here's one of the results for the FZ28 for an example;

http://www.google.com/products/catal...331#ps-sellers

Dennis

denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 4:17 PM   #8
Administrator

This is an old thread. But, I just noticed members browsing it. So, I'll remind everyone that using the price search engine here helps to support Steve's.

Simply select the "Compare Prices" menu choice from the main site at http://www.steves-digicams.com and you'll be taken to this page, so you can compare prices for a given product from a variety of vendors:

http://steves-digicams.pgpartner.com...hp/page_id=48/
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote