Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:34 PM   #1

hello everyone,
i would like to know what is the name of the effect when the flash is off and the photo MUST be blurry! for example, even in a well lighten room i cant take photos without flash, cuz photos become blurry. what is this effect's name and what do i have to look after when buying a camera in order to avoid this effect?! so far i used nikon L4.
wonderlust king is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:49 PM   #2

king-

The blurriness comes from the camera selecting a shuttler speed that was proper for the correct exposure, but too slow to stop the action taking place in the photo environment.

The cure is rather simple (1) you have to use a flash, or (2) you must be using a camera that has a fast lens (a wide aperture lens) and the capability to take photos at high ISO settings.

Please take a look at this photo. It was taken with a Panasonic FZ-28 camera without flash, but the ISO setting increased to ISO 400. So here is proof that it can be done if you select the correct camera.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:03 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Or possibly ISO 400 hehe but the theory still holds.

Exposure Time = 1/25"
F Number = F2.8
Exposure Program = Normal program
ISO Speed Ratings = 400

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:34 PM   #4

Yep, you're correct, Mark-

I just checked it to with my EXIF reader, and it is ISO 400. However, as you say it still applying the corect ISO ans Shutter speed to capture the photo scene. I aplologize, that is my goof. I guess as usual I was moving to fast.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:37 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I'm just surprised you still have time to post as much, I would probably be packing to go away if I was sailing so soon. Is this a long trip, and nice places to visit?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:21 PM   #6

Mark-

It is a combination of multiple assignments. From 14 January to 06 March 2009 we are on the Tahitian Princess. Then on 07March we begin a 35 day contract on the Norwegian Star. On April 17 we begin on the Norwegian Jewel, doing first a Trans-Atlantic Crossing and then, on the same ship, doing 12 dayBaltic Capitals cruises beginning and finishing in Dover until 15 June when we head for home and take a breather for 2 months. Then it is off to Alaska for a month doing cruises on the Norwegian Sun out of Vancouver.

We finish out the year with a month sailing betweeen LAX andHawaii over Christmas and New Year's. Not many folks want that much wear and tear, and the cost of airfar to make all those connection. And oh yes, there are a couple of other requirements, you have to have a doctorate degree, have taughtat a major university, and have published books on at least three different subjects in major circulation. A Best seller is really preferred.

Shall I sign you up? Are you ready? Do you have your creditintals ready for a very thorough review by a 14 member University level Creditentials Board? Its a little more difficult that most folks might suspect.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 8, 2009, 1:24 PM   #7

before this turn into travel topic i came to an end of my camera choosing

what should i go for?

sony w110s, nikon s210 or nikon p50 evey comment is appreciated

cheers

ps i hope none of these cameras have this effect u explained me here.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 1:55 PM   #8

King-

I am sorry to say that the cameras on your list will not overcome the problem you have described. None of them are good at low light shooting. As long as you depend on the camera's built-in flash unit to provide light for your photos, when needed, and stay away from no flash shots you will have acceptable photo results. To overcome that problem you would have to move up a bit further on the camera food chain.

The best camera on your camera list would be the Sony W-120. It does have an optical viewfinder, but it is near the bottom of the W-series cameras. You would be a little better off with either the W-150 or W-170 cameras. You would be much better off with the Sony H-10 camera, as it has an excellent built-in flash unit and it also gives you the benefit of 10X optical zoom.

I have attached a Sony H-10 photo sample. It is a no flash photo in the Lisbon, Portugal train station that really did come out nicely without the benefit of the camera's built-in flash unit. It solves the very same situation that you described in your original post.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jan 9, 2009, 10:09 AM   #9

thanks mtclimber a lot. i see i should face DSLR cams in this case. would fuji s5800 be fine?! and speaking of sony w series, w120 or 125 would be a better choice than 110?

thanks again

greetings from serbia
Old Jan 9, 2009, 10:35 AM   #10

King-

You don't necessarily have to move to a DSLR. A Fuji S-8100, or a Panasonic FZ-28, or a Sony H-50 camera could perform the tasks as you desire. The point I am attempting to make is that inexpensive ultra compact cameras are not up to the task that you described in your original posting, you are going to have to purchase a more competent camera, and yes, that will cost some money.

Sarah Joyce