Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:19 AM   #1

Hey ,

Finally , after reading lot of reviews , i narrowed my result to "Sony DSC-H50 / Canon SX10 / Panasonic DMC-FZ28 " .

My budget is $300 - $350 and i love zoom capability and usually takes photos of landscapes and family gathering .I have used Canon S5 and found to worth of price.Please give me your recommendations from the above 3 camera's .

Thanks
Sushant

Sushant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2009, 2:33 PM   #2

Hi Sushant,

There are some other threads on the site that have discussed certainly the Panasonic FZ28 and the Canon SX10 that are worth reading.

All I can say is that I own the Panasonic FZ18 - the predecessor to the FZ28 - and have been very pleased with it. The zoom is fantastic (504mm!!!:?) on such a comparatively lightweight and small(er) camera. It's also nice having the 28mm wide angle. I bought it to take on a 3 week trip round China (lots of landscape shots) and it's light enough to lug around, having the zoom was a boon, and I'm happy with the pictures (over 1,000 of them).I'm looking forward to having an excuse to trade up to the FZ28. ...

Wibblemore
Wibblemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:54 PM   #3

I have spent the last two weeks trying to decide which would be the best super-zoom to buy. After extensive searching on the web, including many dedicated sites like this one and users' reviews on Amazon, YouTube and other sites, I think I have narrowed it down to Panasonic's Lumix FZ28 and Canon's PowerShot SX10IS.
I have to say that I'm leaning toward the FZ28, specially after reading Steve's review in this site and at dPreview. Main pros are lighter body (AA batteries are heavy!), 'faster' lens at the tele end and faster continuous shooting. Main cons are crappy video sound, inferior user interface (Canon has friendlier controls) and fixed LCD (although brighter and larger than the SX10).
So... which one should I pick?:?

Cheers,

Ricardo
RConsonni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2009, 4:31 AM   #4

...and if the competition wasn't rough already, now Nikon has a new model that might spice up the competition.
This just came out Nikon P90: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0902/09020303nikonp90.asp.

I'm practically at the same situation stckfigure described at another thread: I plan on using my new camera in my vacation next July, but I'm starting to do my homework before I get pressed with time. I expect Sony to release a new model too in the next weeks, so I guess it's better to sit tight and wait for the news...

Cheers,

Ricardo

Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:57 PM   #5

Not sure what you mean by "best" superzoom, but did you consider the Fuji S100fs? Whether you are considering image quality, low light performance or features for your determination of 'best', you should certainly consider the Fuji.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:17 PM   #6

Hun, thank you for your suggestion. The Fuji S100fs sure seems to be a great camera. On the other hand, it's a darn big girl! Around 2 pounds, I think it's way too heavy and bulky. And its price is too high too - around US$600, while Sony DSC-H50 / Canon SX10 IS / Panasonic DMC-FZ28 cost about half of that. Maybe I'm just not a sophisticated photographer and can't realize all the benefits of the Fuji S100fs.
Cheers,
Ricardo
Old Feb 6, 2009, 1:22 PM   #7

As a Digital Camera Instructor, I use both DSLR cameras and ultrazooms primarily. I have used and returned the Canon SX-10 IS. I also own a Canon S-5, the Sony H-50, the Panasonic FZ-28, and the Nikon P-90 (18X).

At least for me, the FZ-28 comes the closest to being the so called, "best" for my personal needs. It really depends on your needs and your personal photographic experience.

If low light levels is a concern, here is a photo from last night's entertainment with the FZ-28 - F 3.6 at 1/10th at ISO 400

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:08 PM   #8

Hi,

I am also trying to figure out which one of the Sony H-50 or the Panasonic FZ28 is best for me. Just now, I found this website where you can compare shots taken with different cameras. When I compared them, I noticed that FZ28 shows more features than H-50, and also depth of focus in FZ28 is far better than H50. But my concern is about the colors. It seems to me that H50 shows color better (or maybe it is artificial).
Also, I'm not sure, which one has better quality in low light and/or night.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Cheers,

Pouya.
pooyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2009, 10:13 PM   #9

Pooyam-

I shoot with the FZ-28, H-50, and the SX-10. Both the FZ-28 and the SX-10 are sharper in focusing than the H-50. The FZ-28 beats the other two in low light, and in my opinion the SX-10 and the H-50 win the color sweepstakes.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote