Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 15, 2009, 2:20 AM   #11

Hi,

Unless you are a committed Nikon fan, there are other 6M pixel dSLR which has non-crippled auto focus system.

One good example is the Pentax k100D Super. This is an old model but it is not as old as Nikon D40, I think. The full auto-mode of the k100D Super is pretty good one i.e. meaning that one can use it as a Point-and-Shoot cam when one prefers. Hence it is quite suitable for dSLR beginners.

Good luck!
dancheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2009, 3:01 AM   #12

Hi Dancheng,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion, I'll try to check it out.
fiscalbong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2009, 3:57 AM   #13

fiscalbong wrote:
Quote:
Hi Dancheng,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion, I'll try to check it out.
Take a look for Steve's review in 2007:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...ax_k100ds.html

Here is his conclusion:
Quote:
The bottom line - This lightweight, durable camera was fun to use. While the K100D Super's 6-megapixel resolution lags behind that of some entry-level models by competing manufacturers, the addition of Shake Reduction (SR) and Dust Removal to a set of mature and useful camera features makes for an attractive consumer dSLR. With the street price hovering around $599 (US) with a 18-55mm zoom lens, the K100D Super is a great value. With a price point that overlaps into consumer digicam territory, the K100D Super offers a compelling choice to point-n-shoot upgraders. Further more, users of Pentax film SLR's will be tempted to make the jump to digital, with their inventory of K-mount lenses being compatible with the K100D Super AND its integral Shake Reduction feature.

For your info, Pentax's Shake Reduction is equal to other manufacturers' Image Stablizers. A dSLR has changeable lens and dusts may get into the camera body and rest on the image sensor. Such dusts will spoil the image quality. "Dust Removal" is a feature that get rids of the dust on the image sensor.

The current street price of a k100D Super with a 15-85mm kit lens is around $450.
Also beware that there is a k100D model without 'Super". This is much older which has no Shake Reduction and Dust Removal features.
Good luck!
dancheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:41 AM   #14

A minor correction - the older Pentax K100 does have shake reduction, but not dust removal. It also doesn't support the new SDM lenses, but that might not be a big deal unless you are planning on buying one particular Sigma lens (can't off hand remember which one now), or one particular Pentax lens (the DA 17-70). The other Pentax lenses with SDM will work with the K100 as they can work with the camera's focus motor also.

The advice to get the K100 Super is a good one in that it's an update of the K100 and would therefore be newer.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote