Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 13, 2009, 12:29 PM   #1

Hello to everyone! I am a newbie here to the forums, as well as to digital SLRs.

My husband was a professional photographer and photo editor in NYC, who has worked mainly with SLRs. He has a number of great Canon lenses and I would like to buy a Rebel on which I can use those lenses and am having difficulty in fully determining which one is best for my needs.

I have read reviews and done much research on all the available Rebels and have read so much (positive as well as negative) about each that I can't decide what will meet my needs best.

My needs for a digital include, but are not limited to -

1) child and toddler portraits - I love to take photos of my little ones and my digital point and shoot is just too slow to capture them often times.

2) I am a doula and will also need to take the camera with me to births and postpartum visits to shoot pictures. Therefore, I do need the ability to take many pictures in rapid succession and I need it to be fairly sturdy.

3) one that can well handle low-light photography.

So, I have Canon lenses to use; now I just need to decide which camera body to put them on. I basically would like to take high quality portraits and action shots of people that will not be printed in large sizes.

Before I had children (nine years ago) I loved taking photos and was rarely found without my camera. I am very interested in getting back into photography, and really jumping into digital photography and learning more about it as I experiment.

I would prefer not to spend a large amount of money (an xsi and some accessories would be the limit of my budget), as I am thinking that this will be a transitional camera - one I can learn on and utilize well, and then make the upgrade to something in the future when I have become more experienced and educated about digital photography and my own abilities.

I appreciate any suggestions and really look forward to getting to know everyone on the forums!

Thanks!

Michelle
MichelleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2009, 3:57 PM   #2

Hi Michelle and welcome.

Let me ask some follow-up questions as I'm unclear on some things:

you said:

Quote:
Therefore, I do need the ability to take many pictures in rapid succession and I need it to be fairly sturdy.
What do you mean by "fairly sturdy" in this context? Are you talking about image stabilization? Or build quality of the camera (which I'm not sure how build quality applies to this). So please elaborate on what you mean by the 'fairly sturdy' comment.

Quote:
3) one that can well handle low-light photography.
Be very specific about what type of low light photography you're talking about. It makes a difference. If there is subject movement then you need high ISO and wide aperture lenses. If there is no subject movement then image stabilization can compensate for some of that. And in some instances you simply need a flash as light is low enough and there's too much subject movement for even professional level DSLRs to not be able to stop the movement without additional light.
Quote:
I basically would like to take high quality portraits and action shots of people that will not be printed in large sizes.
Portraits are easy. Given any of APS-C Canon DSLRS (xxD and xxxD models) you'll get similar results - the lighting and lens will contribute more to success than one body over another. But when you say action shots you need to be very specific as to what types of action and under what circumstances. For example - your toddlers playing in the living room - at night time without direct sunlight the right solution is to use an external flash regadless of lens or body. Toddlers playiing during the day it is possible to get decent shots without flash given high enough ISO and wide enough apertures. Which is all different than shooting HS varsity football under the lights or full field soccer during the day. So be specific as to what activities you want to shoot.

What lenses do you have?

Now - you've said the XSi is the limit of your budget so you're not going to be buying a 50d and for the little amount of money you save I wouldn't drop down to the XS model. So the only thing to determine is whether the XSi paired with your lenses is going to be able to do what you want to do. If you can provid the above info we can go from there.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 4:54 PM   #3

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Hi Michelle and welcome.

Let me ask some follow-up questions as I'm unclear on some things:

What do you mean by "fairly sturdy" in this context?*

Be very specific about what type of low light photography you're talking about.* It makes a difference.**

What lenses do you have?

Now - you've said the XSi is the limit of your budget so you're not going to be buying a 50d and for the little amount of money you save I wouldn't drop down to the XS model.* So the only thing to determine is whether the XSi paired with your lenses is going to be able to do what you want to do.* If you can provid the above info we can go from there.

I'm sorry - I should have written out more clearly what I meant.

In my reference to sturdiness, I meant of the body of the camera itself.

In terms of "low-light" I am referring to taking pictures, indoors and out, at dusk, with no to low lights on, and I would prefer not to use a flash, especially if I am in a labor room with a pregnant mom - I don't want to disturb with a flash.

In regard to lenses, I just took these out of the one photo bag I could find, I know there are others, but I just found these...
Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM
Canon Zoom EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5
Canon EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6

I am sure I will need other lenses, and I am planning on buying a camera body only, so as to put the remainder toward whatever else I may need.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond to my post; I really appreciate it and the advice!

Michelle
MichelleS is offline   Reply With Quote