Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 13, 2009, 6:02 PM   #1

I currently have a Canon PowerShot A95 and have had it for some time now and it has served me well. Newegg has the A590 for 99 shipped and I can get a 4GB SDHC for $7 so $115 after tax. From my research I can sell my current camera for about $65 so I would pay ~$50 for the upgrade.

I know its a good camera but is it worth $50 for the upgrade if I am trying to spend the money I have wisely? I know it is somewhat of opinion but thats what I am looking for.
SnowPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:12 PM   #2

The A590is is a step down in class from the A95, which was the top of the line of the "A" series when it came out. However, Canon no longer makes the class of camera that the A95 belongs to (the A650is is the latest incarnation but it's been discontinued for a while). Further, the A590is is newer technology than the A95 and more advanced in certain ways. The A590is is probably more like the A95 than any other camera currently available and it's a great buy at the Newegg price.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:50 AM   #3

Is it worth the $50 and the hassle of selling my A95 or should I continue to save and spend $100 to get something much better.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:57 AM   #4

It's worth the 50 bucks. However, can you get something else better for another $100? Probably. Only you can decide what is best for you.

What do want to do that the A590 cannot do?
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 1:11 AM   #5

I am pretty happy with my A95, I would like better close up shots, better movies, and higher resolution.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 11:05 AM   #6

The A590 is better in movies (30 seconds at VGA versus unlimited VGA) and resolution (5MP vs8MP)for sure. I don't know about macro (close up) shots.

There are a number of 10 megapixel cameras by Kodak, Pentax, Panasonic, and Fuji that cost about $150. The build quality is nowhere near as good as that of your A95. However, they do have much bigger LCD screens and some of them even have higher than VGA video recording.

I suggest going to a camera store, telling the salesperson your budget,and seeing what he/she suggests and how each camera feels. Then you can come back here and ask what we think of the various cameras you are considering.

The A590 is closing out. It may not be around in a couple of months. I have seen it for less than $100 at several stores online. It is a great deal at that price. Your A95 was between $300 and $400 when it first came out.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote