Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 19, 2009, 2:11 AM   #1

Hey folks..

it´s been a while since I bought my C8080 WZ, and now I am looking for a DSLR-cam, which

- is not too heavy to carry around

- offers the same or better image quality as the 8080,

- is also good for landscapes, nature as well as concert pictures (altough that of course depends on the lens as well)

- allows large print-outs in good quality.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Santuris
santuris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:36 AM   #2

..just in case:my financial limit is around 650 € =)
Old Jan 19, 2009, 8:51 AM   #3
Administrator

A good place to start your search is Steve's Best Cameras List

These are models deemed to be a good value in their market niche, and you'll see some of the entry level models in the dSLR Category you may want to consider. Make sure to read the review conclusions for how models stack up in different areas (viewfinder, focus speed, image quality indoors and outdoors and more).

For concert use, you'll want to lean towards a model that performs better at higher ISO speed settings. As you've already noted, lens choice for low light use will be especially important. With your budget level, that will rule out any brighter zoom lenses (i.e., zooms that can maintain f/2.8 throughout their focal range), which is what you really want to have in most concert lighting at better venues. In lower light venues, you may need a brighter prime (fixed focal length versus zoom) for best results, as the stage lighting can leave something to be desired. I'd give members more info on what kind of concerts you want to take photos at for better responses. Also, keep in mind that dSLR type cameras may not be allowed at some concerts.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:10 AM   #4

..as you wish =)

The concert aspect is rather a side aspect, but the concerts will be mostly in the rock/metal area. I´d like to use the camera mostly for nature, landscapes and architecture. Therefore, I´d love to have a camera with the same crisp colours of the 8080...though some people told me, that most of the up-to-date cameras do not match this criteria.

I have already read some of the reviews, but some of my favourites are not yet reviewed by Steve. So far, they are

- Oly E 520

- Panasonic G1

- Oly E 420.

I have even considered the bridge camera Oly UZ E 590, which will be due in March. But I think, this would be rather a step backwards. Thus I am leaning towards the entry-dslrs..

Santuris
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:48 AM   #5
Administrator

santuris wrote:
Quote:
.The concert aspect is rather a side aspect, but the concerts will be mostly in the rock/metal area.
With a better known band, you'll usually have better stage lighting. Of course, at larger venues, you may not be able to get your camera in. ;-)

In smaller clubs, lighting can vary quite a bit, and you may find that a zoom lens is not bright enough for a high percentage of photos without motion blur, even shooting at ISO 3200. So, I'd consider the lighting you're likely to encounter if you plan on shooting in low light conditions often when choosing a camera and lenses. You may need a bright prime (for example, 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 ) with a camera model capable of shooting at high ISO speeds with lower noise levels to get the results you want. If you can use a flash, you'll have more options.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote