Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:07 AM   #11

Thanks a lot dennis. Just one more thing. if anyone has a Canon SX10 IS, can they please tell me if it can take more than 1.4 frames per second in continuous shooting mode? may be at low resolutions, but can it? please let me know...
deepthought420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:27 AM   #12

Now I'm really confused between the Canon SX10 IS and the Olympus SP-570 UZ...

Please help me... :sad:
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:13 AM   #13

If you have access to a camera store or place that carries these cameras I would pick one up and see how it feels to you. Play with it a little and check out the menus and controls to get an idea of what it's like. The fz 28, the Canon sx 10, or Oly SP 570 are all goodcameras in my opinion. Each has it's pluses and minuses. They are only as good as the person using them. Whichever you choose will give you great pictures if you learn how to use the camera. Good luck.

Eric
esharri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:26 AM   #14

deepthought420 wrote:
Quote:
Now I'm really confused between the Canon SX10 IS and the Olympus SP-570 UZ...

Please help me... :sad:
Here is the review of the SP570, if you haven't read it;

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_...sp570_pg5.html

The camera has lots of features, and costs more than the newer SX10. From all I could find on the SX10, you are limited to 1.4 fps continuous shooting. I also checked the camera User Guide from Canon.

The SP570 can go up to 13.5 fps at 3 MP. It also can shoot RAW images, so you can play with the results to your heart's content during post processing, over and over again. It uses xD storage cards, which are not preferred by most folks, so this may not appeal to you either. xD cards are limited to 2 GB at the present time, based on info I found. If you are in to long exposures, it offers Bulb mode up to 8 minutes. Here are it's full specs on the Oly site;

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...=1367&fl=4

If I were making this decision, I would go with the Canon SX10, but then I'm a Canon user, so I'm biased. I also like an articulating LCD, which the SX10 has, and this capability is hard to find anymore, especially from Canon.

This is your decision, and it sounds like faster continuous shooting is your priority, so the SP570 or SP565 would be better suited to your needs. If you want to use an external flash some day, then the SP570 provides that capability

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:37 AM   #15

I am trying to do that Eric. I'll probably get my handas on a Canon by this sat, i'm not sure about the Oly though.

And i couldn't find any significant differences between the Oly 565 and 570. Can anyone please point out.

Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:43 AM   #16

Thanks Dennis. I have read the Reviews and specs of both the cameras, thats why i am confused... The continuous shoot mode is what is bothering me most. no probs other than that.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:22 AM   #17

The 570 has a designatedhot shoe and manual focus ring instead of toggle switch. I'm still a little confused as to why they even bothered with the 565 especially since the 590 is coming out shortly. I guess their R&D had nothin better to do that month.

Eric
Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:30 AM   #18

Maybe Olympus has improved the quality of the images taken in super fast burst mode, but I wasn't that impressed by the image quality of such pictures with my SP-560. They were 3 megapixels, I think, but the resolution seemed less than that of the average picturetaken with a 3 megapixel camera. If sustained burst rate is really important to you, you might order the SX10's, big brotherthe SX1 IS from Amazon UK.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:56 AM   #19

I'm sure you're probably right Robbo, having only used the burst mode a couple times I have no comparison to other cameras.I mostly use the zoom ability with tcon attached for bird and wildlife shots. But for regular picture IQ I think any of the top bridge cameras mentioned here will give decent results. I understand from another post that the fz 28 does better in low light at higher ISOs. I know above 200 on the 560 in low light there is noticable noise. The 570 offers although electronic, a more manual zoom ring and in normal light I believe the IQ is very good for a non dlsr. I'm not pushing my 560, obviously the newer models coming out monthly it seems are better. Still when I see pictures posted from all the bridge type cameras I see none with much better IQ than mine. I'll put my pics up for comparison and in the end I think all of the top cameras will be close in IQ. It really boils down to what you feel comfortable with and knowing each cameras specialties, some better in low light, some better burst, some with hot shoes, etc, etc. I like them all but I have Oly because I'm used to their menu from having a C765 .
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:21 PM   #20

Thanks for the time and replies guys. really means a lot. hope i can make up my mind soon...