Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 20, 2009, 9:38 PM   #1

If I buy a Panasonic G1, is there a risk that the micro 4/3 lens won't make it and the market and eventually die out? Also, what if I want a lens that goes farther than 200mm? What would I use?
dman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2009, 11:47 PM   #2

The G1 has a m4/3 to 4/3 converter mount that is available as an option, enabling any of the standard 4/3 lenses currently available and any future offerings to mount on the G1 body. There are several currently available 4/3 lenses that will take you out to 300mm and 500mm.

Using a 4/3 lens somewhat defeats the whole reason for the u4/3 mount and lenses, however you should not be out in the cold if no new u4/3 lenses are produced.

Here is the link to the 4/3 to u4/3 adapter
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702

Here is a link to the current 4/3 lens available (regardless of vendor)
http://www.four-thirds.org/en/products/lense.html

Here is the micro 4/3 standards site
http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/

and product page (including the adapter)
http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/mft_product.html

... also there is an adapter now that lets you mount Leica -M (I believe) mount lenses on the G1
http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/08/a...ameras-for-re/

and here is a site listing the leica lenses (which appear to only go to 135mm)
http://www.photoethnography.com/Clas...html~mainFrame

Hope that helps....

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2009, 1:44 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Of course there is that risk, but realistically not within the lifetime of the camera.

Olympus are on-board with the M4/3 thing too, and in fact it may be their best bet for survival; to take advantage of the increased flexibility that M4/3 offers to produce some revolutionary new cameras.

So there will be some more lenses in 2009, and more after that. Will the M4/3 system still be around in 2020? Very likely.

Panasonic are not about to go out of business. They are a very large company who want to play in the whole consumer electronics game, like Sony. They are doing very well in the P&S market too. I personally would bet that they have a more secure financial future than Nikon or Leica for example.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2009, 8:53 AM   #4

You might want to read (if you haven't already) the newly published review of the G1 on DPR;

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcg1/

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2009, 12:29 PM   #5

Kodak introduced a line if cameras called 'Instamatic', that used a 126 film cartridge. These cameras were quite affordable and quite popular for several years. There were even SLRs that used the 126 film cartridge.

Kodak also introduced a line of cameras called 'Pocket Instamatic', that used a 110 film cartridge. These were also affordable, popular and there were SLRs available that used the 110 film cartridge.

The films for these cameras areno longer available, so all these very popular cameras are now useless.

Your film isn't going anywhere. The camera and the lenses will continue to work, and general purpose accessories will continue to work with the G1, even if the Micro Four Thirds product line disappears. For the foreseeable future, you will be able to buy filters that will work with those lenses, and you will be able to buy memory cards for it and use those memory cards to move images from the G1 to your computer.

If the G1 is already everything you want in a camera, buy it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2009, 2:47 PM   #6

dman777 wrote:
Quote:
If I buy a Panasonic G1, is there a risk that the micro 4/3 lens won't make it and the market and eventually die out? Also, what if I want a lens that goes farther than 200mm? What would I use?
Is the home computer, USB connection and printer going to disappear? If not, then you have nothing to worry about as your camera will always work with your peripherial devices.

Sounds likethe G1 might be a prettysafe purchase. 20 years from now there might be a better system on the market. Or maybe in 5 years, or even 2 years.Regardless,what you buy today will still be working for youwell into the future.

Am I going to buy a G1? Nope. I don't like a small camera body as my primary camera. Personal choice. At the same time I can understand the need of the G1 as the perfect travel camera, backpacking camera, camera for small hands,camera for weak armed users unwilling to hold 9 lbs of camera and big lens, the perfect camera to carry in jacket pocket or purse.

Ok, I might actually buy a G1. Nearlyas good or better than the typical cropped sensirdlsrin a much smaller travel size.

Lenses? Once you buy your basic selection of lenses... what is the chance you will need another?

And if you really need another lens, what is to say your format size camera is appropriate for such a lens? Think really wide angle. Hard to find a really, really wide angle lens for cropped dslrs (acutally impossible). Maybe that is why most people shooting super wide angle are doing so with a full frame dslr rather than a cropped sensor?

Oh, and those 4/3 sensors seem a perfect fit for birding etc. I bet we find longer lenses being offered any day now.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2009, 4:41 PM   #7

Another thing concerns me about the G1: Telecentricity.

Digital image sensors have their photoreceptors at the end of tiny tubes. In order for photons to get to the photoreceptors, they should be traveling straight through the tubes straight at the photoreceptors. In order for this to happen, the photons should be travelling straight out the back of the lens. If they aren't, the photoreceptors at the edges, and especially the corners, will not be as well lit as those at the center of the image sensor. This results in vignetting.

This is one of the things that makes a dSLR with a crop factor more desireable than a full frame dSLR when using inexpensive lenses. The lenses are designed for 35mm film where telecentricity isn't an issue, and if they aren't relatively telecentric, a full frame image sensor will produce a vignetted image but a smaller image sensor will crop off the vignetted areas.

A dSLR lens doesn't have to be absolutely telecentric, but it needs to be close in order to prevent that vignetting. And making room for the mirror box means there's room for light leaving a smaller exit pupil to still be travelling on a path that will make it down the tubes to the photoreceptors.

But if you take out the mirrror box and mount the lens a lot closer to the image sensor, the lens must be fairly close to perfectly telecentric, and the exit pupil must be fairly close to the size of the image sensor. That makes for a complicated lens design.

To be sure, if anybody can do it, I beleive Leica can. And, most surprisingly, Leica's initial lenses for the G1 have been reasonably priced. But Leica's 14-50 f/2.8-3.5 MEGA O.I.S lens for the Four Thirds mount goes for $900! Is Panasonic keeping the price of Leica's G1lenses artificially low to assist in the success of it's G1? And how much longer can they keep that up?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2009, 7:14 PM   #8

Ahh, telecentricity, of course. I knew that. :-)

It's great to be able to learn new things. Thank you very much, TCav.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 1:48 AM   #9
Super Moderator

The new M4/3 lenses get stunning reviews. :-)

The whole beauty of the M4/3 and 4/3 formats is that they are new designs so can be designed specifically for the new format without having to worry about backwards compatibility.

I definitely see a M4/3 in my future. Perhaps the G1 when the new 20mm f1.7 comes out, or perhaps I will wait until Olympus release their first offering.

My next camera will either be a 5DMkII or a G1, at the moment the G1 is in the lead. :-)
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:31 PM   #10

dman777... regarding your possible desire for a lens longer than 200mm, I'm sure there'll be longer micro four-thirds lenses offered before long. If not by Panasonic/Leica, then by Olympus/Zuiko or Sigma. But, while we're discussing it, do you know that the crop factor for four-thirds and micro four-thirds is 2x? That means that 200mm is equivalent to 400mm on a full-frame camera.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote