Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 21, 2009, 2:12 PM   #1

Hello,

I've beenconsidering the Canon SX10 and the Panasonic FZ28. I did some test shots with the Canon in a store using my own SD cardinthe display model. The shots seemed pretty decent considering I had no idea if the IS was enabled, etc. The color, clarity and exposure were decent. Then I boughta FZ28 to test itout. I'm very perplexed. The photos taken of the outdoors through a window areok but the indoors shots are terrible! They are very "fuzzy" and some are downright blurry even though the IS is enabled. I've tried different IS settings. The camera "floats" when it's in full zoom and I find it difficult to control. The exposures of photos with people in them are nothing to rave about.(Face Detection is enabled.) I did side by side test photos with my Canon SD 700. The 700 outperformed the FZ28 in every way. The color of the 700 photos is better than the FZ28 which surprised me. Only a few "people" shots out of a few dozen turned out ok. Even those were nothing to sell me on the camera.

I keep playing with the settings in the Quick Menu but am still getting the same results. I'm wondering if I'm missing something? It seems that this camera should be able to be used as a p&s. Now I'm wondering if it's defective?

If any FZ28owners can shed any light on this puzzlement I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thank you!

Mary
MaryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2009, 2:41 PM   #2

I'll try to post a few pics. I don't know how to embed them so I'll have to do some attachments. (Sorry...don't have much experience uploading to forums!)

The first one was taken with the FZ28 with no zoom. Second photo was taken with Canon SD700. The coloris better with the Canon.

Third photo was taken with theFZ28using about half the zoom. I've taken several photos like this with this camera today. I'verarely had this experience with other digitals!
Attached Images

Old Jan 21, 2009, 2:42 PM   #3

Second shot with Canon 700. About the same except I like the Canon color better.
Attached Images

Old Jan 21, 2009, 2:45 PM   #4

The "blurries"!!! I'm really puzzled by the ones that look like this. My hand is not this unsteady and the IS was on!

Only a few looked like this.....but I don't think any should be this blurry. I take thousands of photos every year and almost never see this kind of blur.

Thanks so much for your help!
Attached Images

Old Jan 21, 2009, 3:16 PM   #5

I have the FZ28 and have loved it. However, I still can't decide if the problem with your camera is simply a matter of adjusting your settings or returning a defective camera for replacement.

First, the colors. The FZ28 has been cited by a couple of reviewers as having problems getting proper white balance in some indoor lighting. Solution? Play around with the various white balance settings and see which is most pleasing to you. If you want, you can set a custom white balance with white or gray cards before shooting. Also, Canon's colors are usually a little more saturated than Panasonic's, so you might want to increase the saturation setting on your FZ28.

As for the camera floating at full zoom (486mm, I believe), that is normal, in my experience with various super zooms. The image stabilizer should reduce the visible effects (e.g. blurriness) but won't eliminate them in extreme cases.

The last picture shows your friend with a blurry face. If you didn't use a flash and the shutter setting was slow and your friend moved a little, even image stabilization won't help you.

If you want better advice, try to provide some of the EXIF data to go with your pictures.

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2009, 3:55 PM   #6

Thanks very much for your reply, Robbo. So sorry I didn't provice EXIF info. I did use a flash on blurry shot. It was taken with ISO 100 at 1/30th at f3. Focal length was 7mm.

That's interesting about the "float". I don't think I experienced it with the SX10 in the store...if my memory serves me. All the full zoom shots wereequally clear.

Thanks for letting me know about the white balance issues indoors. I'm researchingthis camera for my stepdaughter who is a true point n shooter so this is probably not the camera for her!

Thanks again!
Old Jan 25, 2009, 1:07 PM   #7

Based on the scant information provided, it's hard to make any real evaluation of these FZ28¬*images. Which mode on the dial were you using when shooting the above shots with the FZ28? I tried saving the file and looking at the EXIF data, but however you saved this file, you lost all EXIF data.

I would expect a Canon SD700 to outperforms the FZ28 in a strict point & shoot tryout using default settings. That's what the SD700 is. You have little chance to change any parameter options with the SD700 so Canon sets it up to provide great color and contrast with no input from the user. It's obvious in those first two shots the contrast and saturation are higher in the SD700 shots.

The Panasonic FZ28 is an advance superzoom digicam on a different level from the SD700. Yes, it can be put on Auto/Program and used like a point & shoot, but if you want point & shoot results, depending on the mode you used, you may or may not¬*need to COMPLETELY set it up like a point & shoot, and that means also¬*setting your image quality parameters up to where the output matches what you want.

With the FZ28 in Program mode or any of the other creative modes like¬*A, S or M modes on the dial,¬*you have the option of setting up image quality parameters like sharpness, contrast, saturation and noise reduction to values you want. Those are all factory set to values of -0-, but you can turn any or all of those up or down. Did you do this before shooting your *test* images?¬*If you had the option of seeing how Canon set the SD700 up, you can bet at least some of those settings are juked up to give more punchy results and you can see that in those results you posted. If you have not done this with the FZ28 and were using the P(Program) mode, you are the one at fault for the FZ28 not producing point & shoot results similar to the Canon.

If you were using the IA mode, those parameter options are not available, meaning Panasonic did not use as high a setting in the saturation and/or contrast setup in their programming¬*and I'd suggest going to program and upping some combination of contrast, saturation and sharpening until you see the results you want. You can leave those set that way, or save them under one of the custom mode settings and can call them up at any point when you want to use the FZ28 as a point & shoot. The FZ28 is very customizable. In terms of on-board controls it is very much like a DSLR and can be used and controlled that way if one wanted to.¬*The SD700 is not. If you don't want or need that many options, the SD700 is what you need to be using.

It's hard to make any comment about the out-of-focus flash shot. A steadily held, out of focus shot will show an overall¬*soft, almost puffy-type look, where a hard, blurry look is what you get due to an¬*unsteady hold or subject slightly moving¬*and this image you posted has a little of both. 1/30 second is a¬*very slow shutter speed for even a flash shot. Unfortunately, that seems to be a very common speed used by Panasonic cameras in general when flash is used if the user doesn't intervene and set up a faster speed. I know the reasoning behind this. They want to include as much ambient light as possible with the flash to balance the scene, but for many the camera needs to be using a faster shutter speed for flash shots.

In the P and A modes, the FZ28 allows you to set a minimum shutter speed between 1¬*second and 1/250 second¬*to try and avoid this issue and the camera will never fall below that speed whether you are using flash or not. Again, very customizable. I rarely use flash with the FZ28. If I need flash, I use my DSLR and separate flash for better quality lighting. The FZ28 needs a hot shoe like the SX10. Maybe someday someone at Panasonic will realize this.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 2:12 AM   #8

I think it is settings. I'm in the same boat as you as I have a horrible time getting the shot everyone else usually gets. Check out the photo's from this guys fz28, made me place an order for the camera:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ourphotostore/3220275661/
dman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:38 AM   #9

Thanks so very much, Greg, for all your detailed info about the FZ28. I have a DSLR and I use my SD700 as a "grab and go" pocket camera. I wanted to do side by side comparison shotsbetween the FZ28 and the SD700 because I like the image quality of the 700 very much.

I'm sure the FZ28 is a stellar camera but it's obviously not a good choice for my stepdaughter who has two toddlers and no camera experience! (I'm very glad I purchased the camera at a store where I can return it for a full refund. whew.)

dman777 - Thanks for sharing that you are having the same difficulty with your FZ28. Hopefully, the info here will help you obtain the quality you are looking for. Thanks so much for posting the link to those photos! They are great!

I did try outthe Canon SX10 in the store. (I took my own memory card and batterieswith me. Theywere very nice about lettingmetest the display model.)I didn't have any trouble keeping the camera steady at full zoom and the photos were reallyquite good. I was surprised because I didn't take the time to check the settings. Ihave no idea if the IS was enabled, etc. So the Canon seems like a better choice for my stepdaughter.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 2:57 PM   #10

Mary,

I was studying the two pics. of the man reading the magazine. I am not sure if the pic by the canon is very accurate in the area of colors. For the true test I looked at the whites(like his cup) and the canon all the whites were off white and cream(when compared to the FX28 version).

The SX10 looks like a great camera though. Like many peple of said, you can't really go wrong with ether.
dman777 is offline   Reply With Quote