Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 21, 2009, 2:49 PM   #1

Thinking of getting one of these. Seems like a lot of features for the money. 12X optical, 10meg, stabilization and manual over ride of many features.

Looking for something to take good all around pics and good scenery shots.

Any one have experience with this model?
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2009, 4:40 PM   #2

I don't have one, but know someone who does. It's a nice camera, and does provide a lot of features for the money, but I don't think it's right for you - it doesn't have a real wide angle on the low end, only 33mm. In comparison, the S8100 has a 27mm on the bottom end, which would better suit your scenery pics.

What else do you plan on shooting, and what is you budget?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2009, 6:25 PM   #3

the 8100 does have a wider range lens, but is atleast half again the money. I have seen the s1000 on ebay for approx 160 bucks with a 4 gig card, 4 rechargable batteries and charger. The s8100 is going for closer to 300.

this is for a factory refurb which carries the same warranty as new. i bought my olympus c720 that way quite some time ago. Would probably still be using it had my wife not drop tested it!

will the extra range on the wide end matter that much for scenery shots?

i could afford the 8100, but, not sure it's worth the difference. looks like it's not as compact as well. this is a factor, particularly with my wife.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 6:30 PM   #4

I would suggest the S2000, which has image stabilization and a wider angle setting

(27.6mm). That's important for group portraits and landscape shots.

The S2000 ischeaper than the S8100, but more expensive than the S1000.

You can get 4 gig SD cards for less than $15 at a lot of places now. A battery charger plus 4 AA batteries can be easily had for less than $20.

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2009, 8:07 PM   #5

yeah, I'm checking out the 2000 as well. Real image stab would be nice to have. Apparently the 1000 does it by just clicking up to a faster shutter speed.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 8:10 PM   #6

Don't overlook the Panasonic FZ28. Yes, it costs more, but "you get what you pay for" applies in this case. It has a 27-486 mm (equiv) lens, can shoot RAW images, and has a relatively small size. It has excellent reviews on several sites. It also received a Highly Recommend on DPR's super zoom camera testing.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q109superzoomgroup/

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2009, 8:19 PM   #7

pete,

In your OP, you didn't give us much to go on...the only thing you told us was that you wanted the camera for good all around pics and scenery shots. You didn't say you were on a limited budget, or what that budget might be. You didn't say the camera was intended for your wife. Therefore, in my reply, I made a suggestion based on my limited knowledge of your needs.

Now that I know more...

Forget about ebay deals that pretend to have a great price and throw in everything but the kitchen sink. First of all, $160 for a refurb is not a good deal. Neither is a piece of garbage SD card, no- name batteries and charger that will probably won't work and may just ruin your camera, a case, card reader, "deluxe" lens cleaning kit and tripod that aren't worth $5 combined. If the S1000 is the camera you want, you can buy it brand new from a number of RELIABLE web merchants for around $160 - BRAND NEW, with full warranty. For example, Amazon is currently offering the S1000 for $164.95 - delivered.

If you'd like to at least think about the S8100, B&H is selling it for $249.95 - delivered. There is also a $30 mail-in rebate available on it. It has a 27mm wide angle (vs 33mm for the S1000)...it has 486mm telephoto (vs 396mm)...it has IS (the S1000 does not)...manual focus available (not)...burst shooting at 6.8fps at 5MP (3.3fps at 5MP)...13.5fps at 3MP (7.5fps at 2MP).

Is it worth $50 more? Only you know for sure.

Good luck with your decision.

The Hun

Old Jan 21, 2009, 8:54 PM   #8

hun,

you make a pretty good case for the 8100. Do you think it's much better than the 2000? Seems to me that they are fairly comparable. That does seem like a hell of a deal though, with the rebate.

thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 9:51 PM   #9

You're right, the S2000 and the S8100 are pretty close. The 2000 gives you HD video (which eats memory cards for breakfast), but takes away some zoom. Personally, I wouldn't buy either camera - I only mentioned the S8100 as a reasonable alternative to the S1000. I feel that most of the current Fuji line has been stripped down and cheapened to compete with the other manufacturers strictly from a price standpont. Fuji has been known for excellent image quality, realistic color rendition and much better than average low light/high ISO performance. Unfortunately, it seems they have traded those previously desirable qualities for gimmicks, ridiculous pre-programmed shooting modes, too many megapixels, and too much zoom range. The only Fuji cameras I feel confident in recommending right now, are the F100 and the S100fs. Both really nice cams, but also near the top of their class in price.

I know it's hard to say don't shop strictly for price, but think about it - you get what you pay for. Good glass, large sensors, fast processors, and desirable features all cost money...but they usually result in superior performance. Of course, results may vary depending on the skill of the user.

Once again, good luck.

the Hun

Old Jan 26, 2009, 8:03 PM   #10

I have taught photography, and I always tell my students to bring in interesting shots they see published. It proves to them that 90% of great shots that are not portraits or commercial studio shots are wide angle. You will need wider than 35mm equiv for good scenics flexibilty.
lancekoz is offline   Reply With Quote