Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:45 AM   #1

I need a fairly compact camera for self takes.
So what in your opinion should I go for? All have a remote available and a twist LCD.

Canon G3, G5, G6 or Pro 1. Possibly a G1 or G2 but these are getting on a bit now.
Olympus C-5060. (My choice at the moment)
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200.

I need to be able to take shots in the dark so maybe this rules out the Konica?

Any feed back would be much appriciated.

Steve
butcherbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2009, 3:21 PM   #2

I recently acquired an immaculate C-5060. I also have a couple other digital cameras and a DSLR (all very highly rated). I really enjoy the 5060 a lot. The remote is handier than I ever thought it'd be, pics taken when it's really dark turn out fine, and the ability to control just about every parameter of the camera without going into a menu is great. It has a 'custom' button that can be programmed to control any function that is accessible via menu only. I have this set for ISO on mine. Focus, flash, exposure compensation, ISO, etc are just a button push and wheel turn away. It also has an articulated LCD (like my Canon PS A610),an optical view finder, and a hot shoe. I'd go with the C-5060.

As an aside, I purchased mine for $30 from a surplus property sale at a local university. The camera shows no signs of ever having been used andall literature, CD's, cables, and remote were still packaged. Included were two add-on lenses, lens adapter, and an external flash. There are no marks of any sort on it. I originally thought to re-sell it on eBay, but have developed enough of a fondness for it that I'm keeping it. It's become one of my favorites.
David_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 3:48 PM   #3

Great steal, that camera is one of the good ones like the 8080
Eric
esharri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 5:11 AM   #4

$30, really cheap, do you want to sell it

My only concern is a fault with the comand dial which I read about on the internet?

Steve
butcherbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 7:44 AM   #5

butcherbob wrote:
Quote:
$30, really cheap, do you want to sell it

My only concern is a fault with the comand dial which I read about on the internet?

Steve
I'll sell it if the price is right or if the dial on mine screws up beyond repair, whichever happens first! I've read about that issue, too, but mine doesn't have the problem... at least not yet. I've found several web pages descibing how to fix the problem. I'm sure I'll tackle that issue if / when it happens to mine. Models 7070 and 8080 don't seem to have the problem; maybe it was only an issue with certain production runs.

David_NC is offline   Reply With Quote