Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 26, 2009, 12:58 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
dlpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 143
Default

Are you sure you are comparing it to the correct zuiko lens?

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...t/1114/cat/all

I certainly dont see it being outperformed in almost all aspects. In some ranges the canon is certainly sharper, but as I said above, the fact that the olympus lens are made precisely for that sensor gives it a very significant edge at wide angles. At other focal distances, most of the time its too close to call. But the zuiko outperforms the canon on CA throughout, and at the wide angle end outperforms in vignetting and distortion as well. The canon has an advantage at intermediary focal distances and at its sweet spot it is certainly sharper, but it is far from "outperforming in almost all aspects."

In any case, the kit lens was only part of the pros of an olympus system. I have the 14-54 which can be had for under 400 bucks and is as good as, if not significantly better, than any canon lens which could be had for even twice its price.

Now, as I said before, if the OP has some more uncommon lenses in mind (i.e.. 85mm f1.8 ) especially in regards to primes, than the olympus wont have really anything to offer. Same if he is the type that knows that will be wanting a full frame camera in the future, or if he has a very specific need that is one of olympus weak spots.

But if he simply wants a 2 or 3 lens solution , I personally prefer the olympus. It is what I bought and what I recommended family and acquaintances to buy. For those who just want the kit lens, the olympus is a 2 lens kit, and the lenses are very good for kits. The canon kit lens is as good in some respects and better in others, but even then it is still a 1 lens kit. And if the OP is willing to spend a little more on non-kit lens, the 14-54, 70-300 and even the 50-200 are unbeatable for their price ranges (and, in the case of the 14-54, it is unbeatable even at twice its price), and the 12-60 is as good as any comparable zoom lens in almost any price.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 1:43 PM   #12
Super Moderator
 
peripatetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,599
Default

The Canon and Sony crop lenses are also made precisely for their sensors. I'm really not sure what your point is.

The Oly cameras are very nice, but you're coming across as rather manic. Just because someone else may prefer a different camera isn't something to get all worked up about.

Frankly all the cameras under consideration are so close in abilities that it really makes no difference for most purposes and most photographers.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 2:51 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
dlpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 143
Default

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
The Canon and Sony crop lenses are also made precisely for their sensors. I'm really not sure what your point is.

The Oly cameras are very nice, but you're coming across as rather manic. Just because someone else may prefer a different camera isn't something to get all worked up about.

Frankly all the cameras under consideration are so close in abilities that it really makes no difference for most purposes and most photographers.
where did I get all manic? In fact, I pointed several of the short comings of an olympus system, and pointed out that in my opinion, for an all around 2 or 3 lens kit at the entry level I believe that the olympus was the best solution for me.

I agree with all that has been pointed about about focus speed and DR, and even lens selection. And I never said that there are no lenses made specifically for their sensors, just that a huge part of the advantage in terms of lens selection comes from the legacy and the non-specific lenses. I just pointed out that the lens at the entry level for olympus are quite extraordinary for their price, and that whatever shortcomings the olympus body has, the lenses also have to be taken into account.

I have no loyalties to olympus, but being one of the few around that actually shoots it i think it is beneficial to bring in the flipside of the compromises olympus has made.

I apologize to Tcav if at any point he felt attacked, as it really wasnt my intention.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 3:00 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Tullio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,370
Default

I do believe that having IS built in is a big plus (and money saver) and both Sony and Olympus have it. Even though according to dpreview the E520 has the narrower DR when looking at the DR chart, in reality I believe its DR is very close to the A3xx. I hardly ever get any highlight clipping with the E520 (the E510 is a totally different story). I also found Sony's DRO to be almost useless (even harmful at times). It works on shadows at the expense of the highlights (and noise). I had it turned off on my A300.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 3:34 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,544
Default

dlpin wrote:
Quote:
Are you sure you are comparing it to the correct zuiko lens?

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...t/1114/cat/all

I certainly dont see it being outperformed in almost all aspects. In some ranges the canon is certainly sharper, but as I said above, the fact that the olympus lens are made precisely for that sensor gives it a very significant edge at wide angles. At other focal distances, most of the time its too close to call. But the zuiko outperforms the canon on CA throughout, and at the wide angle end outperforms in vignetting and distortion as well. The canon has an advantage at intermediary focal distances and at its sweet spot it is certainly sharper, but it is far from "outperforming in almost all aspects."
The Canon is sharper wide open and sharper stopped down. The Canon is an EF-S lens, so it's also made precisely for the 1.6x crop factor APS-C image sensor, which is actually inconsequential since an APS-C image sensor would only use the best part of the image circle projected by a full frame lens anyway. And at any given (comparable) focal length and any given aperture, either might be better. But the vignetting and distortion charts are quite comparable, so an argument could be made that either was better.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 3:45 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Tullio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,370
Default

I guess it boils down to price then. The Canon XSi kit goes for $650, which is the same price as the Olympus 2 lens kit (14-42mm and 40-150mm). Considering that the Olympus has a 2x cropping factor, the 2-lens kit will provide a FL in the range of 28mm to 300mm, which is quite impressive. So, unless there is a significant reason to get the Canon body, I think the Oly is the way to go in terms of value for the money between these three options.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:13 PM   #17
Super Moderator
 
Mark1616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,397
Default

BUGSEY wrote:
Quote:
I take only natural light interior decor photos, and outdoor bird dog action shots.... what to do? Please help.
I think some of Bugsey's points have been missed with the most salient point being above.

In 2 of the 3 areas the better AF performance of the Canon is going to win which I think is key.

Also it is worth pointing out that TCav is a Sony shooter but is not pushing the Sony over the Canon just because that's what he uses.

And TCav you are right I meant A200 not A300, see I'm not infallible LOL.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:16 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,544
Default

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
I do believe that having IS built in is a big plus ...
Six of one, or a half dozen of the other.

I shoot a lot with available light, and while Canon has a much better selection of large aperture lenses, few of them are stabilized. So even though the Canon handles higher ISO settings better than the others, I'd have to skip the Canon and go with the Sony since Olumpus' selection of large aperture lenses is slim and pricey.

I also shoot sports so my first choice would be the Canon because of the speed and precision of its autofocus system. But my second choice would be the Sony, since the Canon is out of the running because of the lack of stabilized large aperture lenses. The Olympus just doesn't stand much of a chance here.

So stabilization in the body works out better because any lens will be stalized, and Canon doesn't have anything. In fact, unlike Nikon,Canon doesn't even have a stabilized macro lens, something I would require for the third type of photography I do.

Of those three, a Sony would be the clear choice for me, but I'd forego the 'Live View' and get either the A200 or the A700.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:19 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,544
Default

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Also it is worth pointing out that TCav is a Sony shooter but is not pushing the Sony over the Canon just because that's what he uses.
Thanks, but actually I'm still shooting with my Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D. I have an assortment of lenses and accessories, none of which is from Sony.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:20 PM   #20
Super Moderator
 
Mark1616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,397
Default

LOL, my mistake (twice in one thread you will notice), but a lot of technology was passed over and the body progression with your lenses would be Sony.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:58 AM.