Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 26, 2009, 8:58 PM   #31

Kezs,

I sincerely appologize if I somehow offended you. I think the Oly is a great camera. I suggested the OP buy it. I reminded him of how some of the shortcomings might affect his photography - which was something that got sidetracked in the discussion. I can assure you though I would not have recommended the OP buy the Oly if I felt strongly against it. There is much to be said for having a liking to an instrument - much like car shopping. The OP likes the Oly and it will do a good job. I think other cameras might be better suited for the OPs stated purposes - (important aspect here again - what the OP is shooting - not what you or I shoot). But from what I've seen I think it will be good enough and thus a good decision.

I'm struggling to see how that is being touchy.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 9:03 PM   #32

In his initial post, the OP stated:

Quote:
BUT, that dam Olympus keeps taking the best photos at lower ISO, is the just a peculiarity with my picture taking? It seems like the indoor shots generally sharper and have beautiful color and general all round look/feel to them.
So, can't speak to impressions from BEFORE this post, but from when this post started, the OP seemed to like the Oly.

I stated:

Quote:
I say go with your gut. You like the Oly strait away and have re-confirmed your attraction to it.
is that touchy?

Now, I also stated:
Quote:
Now, you had another link with a single photo from each camera of a house. To that I would only say I would caution you from making conclusions based upon a single photo posted in the gear forum of one camera. For example if you go into a Canon forum and see a single comparison photo of that kit to say Sony I would hardly call it a scientific test.
That is just good honest advice I would give to anyone. I would not advise anyone to make a judgement on any gear based upon that type of comparison. It is irrelevant what pieces of equipment are being compared. I don't think that's touchy - I think it's just good honest advice.

Again sorry for the hurt I have caused you.

Old Jan 26, 2009, 9:31 PM   #33

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
(...) But I stand by my advice - you seem to have made up your mind. So why exactly are you arguing the point. (...)
Again, if you like the Oly please buy and enjoy it. Not sure why you want to argue the point. No one is telling you it's a mistake.
johnG, you didn't offend me in any way, or caused any harm. and I directed my criticism not to you as a person, but to the attitude you displayed as in the quoted text above. it's like you're saying - and I'm exaggerating: "if you're not following my advice, you might as well go ahead, get whatever you want and leave us alone - discussion is over".

of course you've given your honest advice. anyone knows you know a great deal about the subject. please take my criticism constructively.

my apologies to the original poster for filling part of his thread with a discussion that doesn't contribute to the matter.
kezs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 9:45 PM   #34

kezs wrote:
Quote:
it's like you're saying - and I'm exaggerating: "if you're not following my advice, you might as well go ahead, get whatever you want and leave us alone - discussion is over".
I see now where the confusion is. My intent was - once you've made up your mind, stop the process. We're not buying a camera so there is no need to convince us. Otherwise analysis paralysis sets in.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 9:57 PM   #35

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
I see now where the confusion is. My intent was - once you've made up your mind, stop the process. We're not buying a camera so there is no need to convince us. Otherwise analysis paralysis sets in.
ok then. I hope you didn't take any offense in what I said. then we're good! let's sit back and wait till the original poster uploads his first shots, which he owes us for the advice! :lol:
kezs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:24 PM   #36

Sorry for that! Here's the XSI Canon 70- 200 f4 L lens comparison,expert opinion would be very much appreciatedI need to bring back one of the sets tomorrow.

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=43125
BUGSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 2:47 AM   #37
Super Moderator

I'm with John.

That comparison tells you almost nothing, it seems very much like you are searching for evidence to confirm a bias that you already hold. It would be easy enough to find pictures showing you the opposite. You like the Olympus. Buy it!

Having a camera that feels good to you is actually a lot more important than ultimate image quality.

The image quality I get from my Canon 5D is (usually) far better than I get with my Zeiss Ikon rangefinder. But although I like the pictures I can make with the Canon, I often prefer to use the camera I like more. The quality is good enough, and the experience of taking pictures with it is so much more enjoyable.

If you are a working pro where all that counts is getting the best possible shot then follow your head. If you are an amateur, shooting for the love of it, then follow your heart.

Get the Olympus.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:15 AM   #38

To me, buying a camera is like buying a mattress. You can not possibly know for sure how comfortable a mattress is by simply laying on it for...oh, 3 1/2 minutes!?! The mattress may feel comfortable at the store but then, you put it on your bed, sleep on it for 8 hours and...your back hurts, your arms go numb, etc. etc. etc. The same CAN occur when you buy a camera. You go to the store, hold multiple models for a few minutes each, take half dozen shots with each (in horrible light conditions BTW) and make a decision to buy camera x. Then, you leave the store, go home and start taking pictures of your favorite subjects only to find out that after holding it for 45 minutes, your hands get tired or your neck hurts, etc. Next you download the pictures to your computer and...surprise surprise, the images are a lot softer than they appeared on the LCD at the store. Sounds familiar? Anyway, my point is, your first selection may not be the best one. So, I suggest you buy the camera from a reputable retailer offering a good return policy (30 days for full refund with no re-stocking fees - Amazon is a great place to start since they even pay for you to send your camera back). Once you get the camera, take pictures of a multitude of subjects in various light conditions at various settings. Analyze the images and combine the results with how the camera feels in your hands after a few hours of constant shooting. Then make the decision to either keep it or get something else. Of course I would not suggest you do this for 4 or 5 different cameras but once you get down to a couple of choices, this is very doable.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 1:06 PM   #39

You're aware of the limitations of the dynamic range, high iso performance and focus performance as compared to the competition. And others here have pointed out how those will affect the subject matter you like to shoot.

I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. Particularly my interior test shots showed the E 520 better focusing or metering ... easier to get sharp focus areas. This despite the american spec sheet/review sites superiority claims of the Canon XSI. This is what perplexes me and why I have come to this forum for help to gain some understanding.
BUGSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 1:16 PM   #40

Bugsey,

I am asking an honet question here - what is the point of this? You like the Oly. People here keep telling you to buy it. If your own test shots tell you the Oly is giving you better results, what more do you need? Buy the camera, take lots of photos and enjoy the results.