Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:21 PM   #41

Quote:
That comparison tells you almost nothing, it seems very much like you are searching for evidence to confirm a bias that you already hold. It would be easy enough to find pictures showing you the opposite. You like the Olympus. Buy it! Having a camera that feels good to you is actually a lot more important than ultimate image quality. If you are a working pro where all that counts is getting the best possible shot then follow your head. If you are an amateur, shooting for the love of it, then follow your heart.

Why doesn't the photo comparison tell you anything?
I see Olympic E 520 taking a better looking picture than the Canon XSI equipped with a $1000 lens. The only pictures that I can find showing the opposite are like DP Review where he has advertising revenues to consider. Can you point me to some unbiased examples? I'm not a "Pro" with a commercial bent, if I were I would certainly choose a Canon or Nikon however my main objective is taking photos with artistic appeal rather than commercial expediency.

BUGSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:30 PM   #42

Bugsey,

I've been honest with you, so I will continue to be. I have neither the time nor the inclination to prove to you there isn't a conspiracy against Oly. Really, it's honestly not worth my time to do so. As a serious photographer I would never base an opinion on any piece of gear based upon a single shot.

You are convinced any official review is biased so you won't trust them. So here is the last piece of advice from me as this has become a waste of my time and effort:

Given the types of photos you want to take - look for specific examples of those types of photos on websites here, dpreview, fred miranda, pbase, smugmug etc from users of the gear. You're very unlikely to get a direct comparison. But if you look at various galleries shooting the specific subject matter you're interested in you'll get a good idea of the capabilities of the gear in question.

But I'm afraid you're not going to get many people with the time and inclination to disprove your conspiracy theory.

Good luck to you in your search - both for camera gear and any conspiracies
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:31 PM   #43

Yes and I do appreciate and find the responses interesting thus I hope to get a response to one last question....here's the Olympus E 520 XSI Canon 70- 200 f4 L lens comparison,expert opinion would be very much appreciated

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=43125
Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:43 PM   #44

Hi, not conspiracy theory but simple common sense and logic.
Think about this, how can "official" review sites be unbiased when income comes from advertising. This is the reason I've come to forums to help with my decision.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 1:24 PM   #45

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Bugsey,

I am asking an honet question here - what is the point of this? You like the Oly. People here keep telling you to buy it. If your own test shots tell you the Oly is giving you better results, what more do you need? Buy the camera, take lots of photos and enjoy the results.

Bugsey, like many people, is looking for justification from somebody else for his/her purchase.

Any negative comments, even slightly negative comments, are perceived as an attack on his/her decision making processes.

Your comments, which are always fair in my opinion, could be viewed as negative comments by "some" readers. This camera is lighterweight, that camera is heavier. This camera focuses faster, that one slower. Even points of fact not subject to possible debate, such as the camera weight, are always a negative comment if the reader is inclined to view it as such.

Unfortuately Bugsey seems to be one such person.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 2:37 PM   #46

Quote:
Bugsey, like many people, is looking for justification from somebody else for his/her purchase. Any negative comments, even slightly negative comments, are perceived as an attack on his/her decision making processes. Your comments, which are always fair in my opinion, could be viewed as negative comments by "some" readers. This camera is lighterweight, that camera is heavier. This camera focuses faster, that one slower. Even points of fact not subject to possible debate, such as the camera weight, are always a negative comment if the reader is inclined to view it as such.
Review sites in the US lean heavily towards Canon. I didn't understand because the shots I took were most always better with the Olympus. Because of this I've asked for opinion from this forum and did indeed get confirmation of what I already knew and of some support for the Olympus camera - possibly due to lens. I do accept comments that from a commercial point of view the Canon XSI is more versatile in regards to lens and preformance. My priority is image quality with kit lense. I'm not interested in spending thousands of dollars on lenses but even then here's a link showing the XSI with thousand dollar lens pitted against Olympus with the kit lens.
Are they very close and even the Olympus showing a more pleasing photo? Regards, and I thank everyone...Bugsey

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=43125
Old Jan 27, 2009, 2:50 PM   #47

Good luck. And please come back and post some photos.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 3:19 PM   #48
Super Moderator

I get the impression that although you said "I take only natural light interior decor photos, and outdoor bird dog action shots.... what to do? Please help." you are focusing on the indoor as a main area. That being the case then yes the smaller sensor of the Olympus will probably help as you have a wider DOF with the kit lenses at the same settings as the Canon or Sony.

For the other 2 areas you are probably looking at the worse camera of the 3 you mention.

As for the shot against the 70-200 Canon lens you are looking at one photo as John pointed out so it is really not the most scientific way to look at differences. As for looking at sites such as dpreview, just look at the test results rather than what they say and take it from there. I'm sure if we got down to MFT charts etc then the Canon lens would win (assuming that it is not a bad copy).

Basically, what do any of us want a camera for? To take the photos of the subjects we desire as well as possible within budgetary restraints while having the confidence that the camera will do the job. I'm sure for the indoor shots the Oly will do fine but none of the cameras will do great for the wildlife/dog work without going longer in the lens department and when it comes to these as stated the Canon will be the best option due to the speed/accuracy of the auto focus.

I agree with others that you have pretty much made your decision and nothing anyone could say will make you change your buying decision and even if you did I think there would be something niggling in the back of your mind especially if you found a weakness in a lens or camera feature.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 4:10 PM   #49

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
You're aware of the limitations of the dynamic range, high iso performance and focus performance as compared to the competition. ...
To be honest, the charts look much worse than reality when it comes to the E520 DR. I had the A300 (which according to the reviews has the best DR) and the E520 performs about the same in this department. I hardly experience highlight clipping with my E520. The E510 is a different story, though. It's DR was very limited and highlight clipping was huge (although images were much sharper).

Now, when it comes to handling high ISO, the E520 sucks (and the Sony Axxx do not perform much better either). Here I think the Canon has an advantage over both the Sony and the Oly.

The bottom line is, there is no perfect camera (at least not at this price range). Each has its high points and limitations. I'd suggest you make a list of what's important to you in terms of IQ, what you can live with and what you can not. Then pick each contender, run it through the list and choose the one that fulfills most of the items at the top of your list. Pretty simple, really!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 4:23 PM   #50

BUGSEY wrote:
Quote:
Hi, not conspiracy theory but simple common sense and logic.
Think about this, how can "official" review sites be unbiased when income comes from advertising. This is the reason I've come to forums to help with my decision.
I personally read reviews but take them with a grain of salt. I never made a decision to buy (or not to) a camera based solely on reviews because although I do believe they offer some added value, real life experience is very crucial. I take some review findings more seriously than others. For instance, if a review points out a serious problem with the camera (i.e. very slow focusing in low light conditions), then I tend to be a bit more inclined to do further research on the subject to see if what people have to say goes along with the review. On the other hand, if the review suggests that the camera takes a millisecond longer than others to start up, that to me is totally irrelevant (but it may not be to a professional photographer who needs to capture that unique moment in a split of a second).
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote