Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 25, 2009, 4:55 PM   #1

Good day,

I have a boat load of film and digital SLRs but my wife wants no part of them. The only camera I ever got her to use regularly was the most basic Canon ELPH that took APS film. I have a Nikon Coolpix 3200 that I won that is about the same size but the shutter lag drove her crazy and she gave it back to me. I have been doing some research but many cameras do not list their shutter lag and after being burned in the past by camera makers that usually means that specification stinks so they don't list it. Some of the more sophisticated P&S do list this but I am trying to stay simple here. I need a camera that is quick without half pressing the shutter. If they still sold Brownies that is what I need! :lol:

I would welcome recommendations even if only to a shutter lag database. I really want to get one for Valentines day for her. She sees much more of the grandkids than I do so she needs a camera that she can work with. THANKS

Mike

headmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2009, 5:21 PM   #2

mike,

"...quick without half pressing the shutter. "

Don't think that's going to happen. Pre-focusing reduces shutter lag dramatically. As an example, the Fuji F100 has been tested by a professional reviewer to have a pre-focused shutter length of 0.019 seconds, which is extremely fast. Just pressing the shutter released fully on the same camera, when fully zoomed increases the lag to 0.85 seconds, which is terribly slow.

I think you'll find this to be true with most P&S cameras - it takes time for the auto focus system to lock on to a target.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2009, 5:33 PM   #3

Thanks Rini. I hope that is not true because if it is they haven't made one wit of progress since 2003. You will never capture a moving child with that kind of shutter lag.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 5:43 PM   #4

Well Mike,

I wouldn't lie to you. They have made a lot of progress since 2003...a lot of progress since 2007. When you depress the shutter on a modern digicam, it determines the distance to the target and adjusts the focus automatically...it determines the amount of available light and adjusts the aperture and shutter speed automatically - this take some time.

That's why you should pre-focus...once locked on, the camera maintains the focus until you're ready to shoot.

Don't confuse shutter lag with focus time or cycle time.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:43 AM   #5

headmj wrote:
Quote:
...You will never capture a moving child with that kind of shutter lag.
What is required isa P&S with manual focus that can be prefocused by eye at a suitable distance, or an focusing scale, and that can be set to stay awake (i.e., not close itself down) long enough to catch the child when it's at the correct distance.

I can do this manually on my Kodak Z1012; I've just tried it.With manual focus already set, it took the shot instantly. I'd (probably, not sure) have to remember not to touch the zoom control if trying it in real life. It can be setnot to power off for 1,3,5, or 10 minutes.

Presumably others in that range of cameras orfrom other manufacturers would allow the same procedure.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 7:20 AM   #6

The Sony H10 and H50 are tops when it comes to shutter lag for taking one photo. They are also very good all around cameras. The H10 is a compact ultrazoom and the H50 is a larger ultrazoom.

Check this out:
http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutte...ort=ShutterLag
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 7:00 AM   #7

Thanks eveyone. I will look at the Sony's and I have also sumbled on a casio Exilim that seems fast.

Mike

Old Jan 27, 2009, 5:02 PM   #8

I had a Casio P600 which had fast focus, but you could also set AF to be continuous. My wife has an Exilim S500 - very slim and she really likes it. I've just checked and AF can also be set to be continuousin the REC menu. I have a Nikon D40, Sony H5 and Fuji F31, and the image quality of her S500 is acceptable in good lighting compared to the others. Exposure accuracy is very good and there are over 30 Best Shot modes (scene modes). This model is obsolete but there are modern versions.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2009, 8:46 AM   #9

Hi Folks,

I went out and handles about 15 cameras. I would up with a SONY W120p at Staples on sales for $109.00. A avery good deal. The camera is very fast and best of all my wife seems to like it and will probably carry it which is what I was going for. Thanks everyong for you help.

The Sony and Casio seem to be the quickest. The configuration of the Casio was not as good as the SONY. The Kodaks were acceptably fast but they were 35mm equiv at wide angle where the other were closer to 28mm equiv.

The Sanyo and Samsung were hopelessly slow but at least they were cheap. The Nikons were very slow and expensive!

Mike

Old Jan 30, 2009, 9:28 AM   #10

I think you made a good choice. In general, the small Sony's are excellent with regard to shutter lag, compared to the other brands. Also, Steve's review of the W120 was very positive and the price you paid was ridiculously low.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote