Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 26, 2009, 1:28 AM   #1

I thoughtI wanted the Sony Cybershot DSC-H10 but then was told to consider Canon Powershot SX10 IS and Panasonic Luminix DMC-TZ5.

I am a novice but know I want to be able to take pictures inrapid succession, take landscapes and group pictures day and night, be able to get a decent picture of a person 40 yards away, and be able to catch action shots of my nephew playing sports.

Recommendations? Things to consider? Which of these three is best?
NicoleL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2009, 3:16 AM   #2

To do everything you want fairly well, you'll need an expensive dSLR and lenses which will be big and heavy, and unsuitable for a novice. Low light & night photography, and sports are difficult subjects.

The cameras you suggest would be good learning tools, to teach you what you need in a camera.I would add to your list the very cheap Kodak Z1012is, which is small and light. (I have one, and its predecessor the Z712.)

You might be satisfied with your results, or you might want to upgrade when you've learned how to use such a camera. If you have a cheap, lightsuperzoom you could afford to keep it as a spare or for when travelling light.

I gave up film SLRs for small digicams because I seldom had the camera and the right lens near enough or quickly enough when I needed them. I always had a small film camera with me, though, before digicams.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 2:14 PM   #3

Thank you for your insights Alan.I had a feeling I wanted more than these cameras will do. Still,I knowI don't want to deal with changing lenses, so I guess I have to look for the best equipped all-in-ones I can find, and then possibly upgrade later if I really find I need to (perhapsI don't need all the features I currently thinkI need). I'll check out the other camerayou mentioned.
NicoleL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 2:28 PM   #4

I would add the Panasonic FZ28 to your list. I think it's slightly better than the Canon and TZ5 in low light.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:37 PM   #5

NicoleL wrote:
Quote:
look for the best equipped all-in-ones I can find,
Thanks! Depends on your budget, and how much weight you're willing to carry.

Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 6:41 PM   #6

I also think you might look into the new FUji s-2000 I think they call it. I have an earlier model and am pleased. FUjis are terrifically inexpensive for the features. Mine goes to wide angle and takes filters.

I am new to this site, I am not sure what tests are available, but DPReview.com has a full test.
lancekoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:49 PM   #7

Given that we're posting on Steve's forum, we ought to give some consideration as to how Steve rates the cameras that have been discussed here.

Steve hasn't reviewed the Canon SX10is.

Steve reviewed the Sony H10 and he like it a lot:
Quote:
Bottom Line - Sporting a 10x zoom lens with optical image stabilization, 8-megapixel imaging sensor, new sports shooting mode and a very powerful built in flash, the Cyber-shot DSC-H10 is one very versatile camera. These features combined with the outstanding performance and very good image quality make this a great deal with at US$299 or less.
Steve didn't review the Panasonic TZ5, but did review the TZ50, which is practically the same thing. He liked it a lot but the image quality was not quite as good as the Sony H10:
Quote:
Bottom Line - the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ50 is an outstanding little super-zoom. While this model is very similar to its siblings, the addition of the 9-megapixel imager, huge 3.0-inch LCD, 720p HD movie mode and Wi-Fi capabilities are greatly accepted and appreciated. If you are one who is in the market for a compact powerhouse, look no further. Offering good image quality, pleasing performance, and loads of user-friendly exposure modes,
Steve reviewed the Kodak Z1012is and he liked it, except for the limited burst shooting. However, he thought the image quality was superb:
Quote:
Bottom Line - As one of the new Kodak Easyshare Z series cameras, the Z1012 IS is an excellent addition. With the second highest available zoom with optical image stabilization (O.I.S.) on a Kodak model, a 10-megapixel imaging sensor, full auto through full manual shooting modes and HD video mode (1280x720 30fps), this camera is packed full of features. The performance is good, however, it would be nice to see the camera able to capture more than 3 images at a time both in burst and single shot modes. The image quality both indoors and out is excellent with vivid, natural colors.
Steve reviewed the Panasonic FZ28 which he felt was very good in all respects:
Quote:
Bottom line - As with all of the past "FZ" series models, I was impressed with the Lumix DMC-FZ28. If you are one who is in the market for a powerful super-zoom model or one who is unsure about jumping into the dSLR market, the FZ28 might just be the next digicam for you. With an awesome zoom lens, great image quality, robust performance, HD movie mode, and plenty of exposure options, the FZ28 is a well-rounded digicam. The only real issue I had with this camera was the Joystick control.
Steve tries to be positive with his reviews but its easy to see that while he likes the Panasonic TZ5 and FZ28 very much overall, he thinks the Sony H10 and Kodak Z1012 are superior in terms of image quality.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote