Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:59 AM   #1

Hi, I wanna upgrade my camera from the sony p&s, need help-

here's what im looking for-

1.i dont want to spend anything above USD 500, i cant picturemyself buying more lenses or flashes,or carrying them around wherever i go. i think good snaps can come off any circumstance and place, i wanna be ready by being able to carry it around in my everyday bag ideally. pref no excess baggage so an entry level dslr with good strong auto mode and good picture quality?

2. i dont want to get restricted bythe limitations of a p&s, whenever i want to play and try and have time for all that, id like some liberty to try out stuff. but i need an efficient enuf auto mode that can give me better pictures than the p&s,i think only a dslr lens can do that no? so no high end p&s?

3.my 3x zoom in sony is terribly less, and the entry level dslr's come with hardly any zoom, what to do? i need a good zoom, specially when we go see wildlife and all, where spotting something far off can be frustratingly discreet in ur pics.

4.i have butter hands, my camera goes all over the place while i hold it, and all my snaps look like they were taken during an earthquake. so i need solid anti-blur and steady shot and whatevernew technology they have figured out to help me out. which brand has taken care of this the best?

5. i want a good viewfinder,it usuallyhelps me in framing right, and keeps the camera steady.so i think high end superzoom p&sis not for meno? and they usuallyharp on the megapixels, while isntit the quality of lens thats more crucial?

6.i wantgood functionalityat high iso's- family snaps are mostly indoor and id like to capture motion, tho i havent yetexperimented with actual shoots- the high end p&sdont really work above 400 iso-will i really need to use iso 800, 1600 and all often? is it that crucial?

ive looked at canon g10,canon10x isand dint really like the waythey felt in my hands. and wasnt too impressed by picture quality. (i maybe a bad judge after all)

iveseen somebody use a nikond90, and played around with itfor a minute, and i thought it was too heavy and looked like i was a hired photographer holding it

what i liked was the sony alpha 200- it felt good and controls seem easy since im used to their menu, but again the zoom is very less. but nobody talks of a sony on all review sites, so i guess its not a genuine photographers brand kind-a-thing no?

im all confused

what else should i look at, if you can actually decide and tell me what i should buy- ill just love u for it! thanks!
skmdcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2009, 7:33 AM   #2

You seem to be saying that while you want a high quality camera with very good picture quality and a long zoom lens, you are not interested in changing lenses, and have little interest in moving beyond auto mode. If that's the case, you'd be much better off with a good ultrazoom rather than a DSLR. A DSLR will give you great shots if you learn how to use it, which means taking it off auto mode. Also, if you buy a DSLR with the standard kit lens, you'll need to buy an additional long zoom lens to be able to take the wildlife shots you enjoy, which means carrying around the extra lens and changing lenses when required. In contrast, a good ultrazoom will take very good pictures in good lighting conditions and you will be able to take long distance shots without changing lenses. Most ultrazooms have good lenses - not as good as the separate lenses you can buy for a DSLR, but those can cost thousands. Finally, while ultrazooms have manual exposure controls, they all have good auto modes, as manufacturers know that most ultrazoom buyers are moving up from a standard point and shoot and like the convenience of the auto mode.

The top ultrazooms under $500 are the Canon SX10is, Panasonic FZ28 and the Sony H50. If you don't care for those three, try out the Olympus SP565uz, Fuji S8100fd, Fuji S2000hd and Kodak Z1012is. They all have good, sharp lenses and very good picture quality in good light. It's hard for me to believe that you wouldn't like at least one of these ultrazooms.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 7:49 AM   #3

I agree with Andy, but also consider the Fuji S100fs if you can find it for 500.00 dollars, it's lens is sharp, sharp, sharp, and is great in low light
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 8:18 AM   #4

thanks andy,

I guess i gave the wrong impression by harping on the auto mode.

but ill take your advice, and i think im inclined to the sony a200. ive tried canon s1x and g10 and sony h50, not happy really. what should i say- the picture dint look all that good. ok considering that ill buy the sony a200, does the slr demand that i buy different lenses for diff situations- say a close-up of a flower, a mountain range shot, a beach shot, a good portrait in low light, catch my son running with his first football or maybe for sports a few years later- cos then im not upto it.

can i get a long zoom lens, and take a macro shot and will it at least be better than the macro on my p&s. i hope you get the fear i have...

ill also check on the fuji options
Old Jan 27, 2009, 8:26 AM   #5

and none of the ultrazooms i know have good viewfinders, i was looking at some of my old snaps and they seem perfect