Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 27, 2009, 1:13 PM   #1

just curious about how the camera market works -- I'm pretty much settling in on getting a Nikon d40. One of the things I've been wondering about is the fact that it seems that there is a decent chance that Nikon will replace the d40 as the entry level SLR with the d60 during the PMA show in early march.
I was wondering, if that was the case, how much of a price drop would that be? Like would I be able to save $100 (get a d40 for $350) if I waited 6 weeks for the announcement, or does the market move more slowly than that?
I'm not in any particular hurry to upgrade, though I would rather do it sooner of course =)
joypog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2009, 2:58 PM   #2

It is possible that Nikon will discontinue the D40 at or after PMA '09.

There are two possible ways that Nikon will handle it:
  1. Retailers would be left to dispose of their available stock.[/*]
  2. Nikon may recall all the available stock and reimburse retailers for their expenses.
[/*]
If they use option #1, you might benefit from a price drop. If they use option #2, you will have lost you chance of getting one.

If the D40 is what you really want, buying it now would give you that much more time to learn and use the camera. On the other hand, the D40 is fairly inexpensive already, and waiting might not save you very much anyway.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 3:09 PM   #3

good to know....any thoughts on getting a refurb like at adorama or B&H?

http://www.adorama.com/INKD40KR.html

The retailers seem to be very highly thought of...is it usually considered much of a gamble to buy a refurbed nikon?
joypog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 4:35 PM   #4

The new D40 is listed at $450 with a one year warranty, while the refurbished D40 is $375 with a 90 day warranty. That's a savings of $75, butfor a much shorter warranty period. I would worry about that.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 4:58 PM   #5

According to Amazon.com, the D40, with a kit lens that lacks VR, goes for $429.99. The D60, with a kit lens that includes VR, goes for $516.95. It seems like a no-brainer to me - the D60 is a much better deal.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote