Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 27, 2009, 1:48 PM   #1

I'm only 17 years of age and haven't a lot of money to throw around. I have >$600 to spend on a new slr system.

Long story short my Canon 10D met it's life.

I am looking very very hard at the Sigma SD14. I can buy a brand new one off of ebay for $380. I plan to use the other $220 on a moderate f/2.8 lens. Or perhaps a decent 50mm f/1.8 and a kit "like" f/4 18-55mm.

This is where I need help, I have owned sigma lenses in the past and loved them, however, I know little about there monstrous 14 mega pixel cmos sensor SD14 camera.

Does anyone have experience w/ Sigma Bodies?
What mount is the camera (What lenses fit on it?)
Is there anything I should know that's a drawback to this camera?

Thanks,
Sorry for the tight budget,
-Troy

:-)
ibmnetvista12@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2009, 3:27 PM   #2

Troy,

I'm not sure why you're looking so hard at the SD14 - is it only for the price? If it is, you can buy one on amazon for $358, delivered (I think that would be a much better option than ebay - and not just for the price). If you're looking for some other reason, I'm not really sure what that might be.

From what I've read, the cam is big, heavy, slow, and just about useless at ISO above 200. It was released more than 2 years ago, and since I doubt that sales were very brisk, the one you buy may just be over 2 years old, with a Li-ion battery that has already begun its downward spiral.

You had a Canon....you must already have lenses for the Canon? why not consider another Canon?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 3:44 PM   #3

Quote:
You had a Canon....you must already have lenses for the Canon? why not consider another Canon
The 10D was handed down to me and I sold it on eBay with the lens it came with. So I am basically starting fresh.

Quote:
From what I've read, the cam is big, heavy, slow,
I can deal with Big and Heavy. Slow, I heard the buffer is slow, but when I shoot sports I never shoot in bursts... My max is usually 3 frames in Jpeg. I hear the buffer "sucks" but I would only need a good buffer if I wanted to shoot, I don't know, 14 frames.

As far as the ISO, I have heard nothing about this.

Also the camera appeals to me not only for the low price but the megapixel count and the foveon x3 cmos sensor

Old Jan 27, 2009, 4:02 PM   #4

If I had $600 to spend on a DSLR, I'd buy either the Sony A300, Nikon D60, Olympus E520, Pentax K200d or Canon EOS 1000d (Rebel XS). They are all great cameras and likely to be supported for years into the future. If I had any money left over I'd spend it on a case, a memory card or save it towards the purchase of a long zoom lens. I wouldn't be so confident about the future of Sigma.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2009, 4:44 AM   #5
Super Moderator

This would be one of the last cameras I would personally consider for quite a few reasons.

Specifically as you mention sports then the AF is too slow which is major, it is better than previous Sigmas but still reviews are not great. The next step is wanting to grow with your kit. Sigma is the most limited in this respect as with every other manufacturer you can get lenses from the manufacturer as well as people like Sigma, Tamron, Tokina but with Sigma you get Sigma, Sigma and Sigma. There is a very limited 2nd hand market because of this.

Personally as someone young who will hopefully be into photography for a long time don't cut corners and lock yourself into a limited system. I probably would look at one of the Sony, Nikon, Pentaxor Canon options and would put Sony, Pentax or Canon over the Nikon at the entry level as Nikon has limited some of the lens options by not including a focus motor in the body.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2009, 9:21 AM   #6

Very well, I suppose I'll look deep into Pentax then. I noticed a great deal on the k2000d. Comes with a flash and what not.

Thanks for the aid,
It really helped,
Troy :-)
Old Jan 28, 2009, 9:45 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Just make sure you are buying from a legitimate store and that the flash is worth having, some bundles don't get you much.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote