Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:59 AM   #1

Hi,

I'm finally getting back into the the world of dSLR and need advice. I'm considering buying either the Nikon D60 or Canon Rebel XSi. Both camera are similar in price (the Nikon has a better deal with 2 lenses).

Which one would you buy? What are your experiences? One primary reason to buy the camera is to take pictures during my kid's performances on stage and sports (low light, action shots).

Thanks,

Dave

dbcafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:21 AM   #2

Although I shoot with Nikon gear, if you're shooting sports or any other action, the D60 is not a great choice. It's af system is not as good as the canon entry level offering. If you're in love with Nikon you'll need to step up to the D80/D90 to get consistently good results.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:40 AM   #3

The Canon has a better autofocus sysem for sports/action, has better high ISO performance, 'Live View', and a better selection of lenses. The D60 is outclassed in every respect.

How did you narrow your selection down to these two?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2009, 12:11 PM   #4

Let me add on to rjseeney's post. While the AF system is better in the Canon you need to be aware that in ANY system, the camera body is only part of the equation. For low light school functions and PARTICULARLY sports the lens is extremely important. No DSLR on the market with kit lens is going to give you good shots for those activities.

So, before you jump in ad buy any DSLR you need to get a better idea of what the total solution will cost to allow you to photograph what it is you want to photograph.

So, let's get specific:

What age group?

What specific sports?

That will drive what lens(es) you need. Depending on the sports aspect you may or may not end up with a lens suitable for your stage work.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2009, 12:13 PM   #5

The Nikon D80 is a much better camera than the D60 and better in many respects than the Canon XSi, though it is larger.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...nikon_d80.html

The price on the D80 has come down a lot recently and it's only a bit more expensive than the Canon XSi.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2009, 12:15 PM   #6

OK - now I'm confused. You just posted here asking what camera to buy but in another post you're asking whether to buy a flash for the D60 for a dance performance.

Are we to assume you've made your decision/purchase in the last hour and a half?
Old Jan 28, 2009, 12:23 PM   #7

Hi John,

I still have not decided the camera yet. The flash quesiton on the other forum is just an example of a bounce flash.

Thanks for the response :-)

Dave
Old Jan 28, 2009, 12:24 PM   #8

price and store reconmendation. Of course - I am open to suggestions as well.

Regards,

Dave
Old Jan 28, 2009, 12:33 PM   #9

You might want to check out the Pentax K200. A friend has one and finds it a wonderful camera. Unlike the Nikon and Canon you are looking at, the K200 has shake reduction built in the body, so any lens you put on it, the body can control the shake reduction feature.

The Canon and the Nikon have shake reduction in the lens, so you have to buy a lens with this feature, which adds up to m ore money, every time you buy another lens.

The Pentax K200 is also well sealed vs the weather.

The Pentax can use most of the 24 million lenses built for or by Pentax over many years.

I'm wary of any camera store that only recommends two makes...there's lots of good makes out there and I encountered the same response at some camera stores when I looked at cameras.

I went to different stores as a result.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2009, 1:25 PM   #10

Hey Dave - still need more details on the sports you want to shoot before we can give you an intelligent answer as to what gear you'll need.

So, let's get specific:

What age group?

What specific sports?