Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 28, 2009, 12:58 PM   #1

Hello

This is my first time.
I'm finding for a digital camera (can be camcorder) - not too expensive - to make good movies in HD and good photos - particularly, good quality in video, because I have another digital camera for photos and, essentially, with good performance indoors or darker environments. I have gone to the "Vimeo" site but I am confused. I don't know anything about video and much less technical issues, but I think many of those clips are treated and maybe they don't transmit the real picture quality. Initially I thought a Panasonic TZ5 but I read this has poor performance in low light. Then I thought in Sanyo Xacty HD700 but I read also have a lot of noise and the photos are not good. I thought a Aiptek Z600 but I didn't like the video I saw on "Vimeo" because jumps too; I dont't like so Aiptek (my current camera is an Aiptek Z100 and in low light is bad - in thephotos is better than the video). Now there were two others: Samsung NV24HD and Sony T500, but I think that Sony is too expensive. I like the videos from Samsung but I don't know how will be in low light. Finally I am inclined to Kodak V1073, maybe the cheapest, but users speak very badly of LCD and autonomy.

I appreciate your views.

Sorry my bad English.

Thanks.
Mr.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2009, 1:41 PM   #2

Panasonic just upped their offering with the new TZ7, which is supposed to go on sale in April, with what appears to be new processing engine specifically designed to enhance the movie output..

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0901/09...ctz7.asp#press

Just as an aside, not knowing where you live, here in the US the TZ7 is going to be sold under the model name ZS3. I believe everywhere else, TZ7 will be the right model name.

Your English looks fine to me!

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 4:18 AM   #3

Mr.T wrote:
Quote:
....I'm finding for a digital camera (can be camcorder) - not too expensive - to make good movies in HD and good photos - particularly, good quality in video, because I have another digital camera for photos...
I use a camcorder for video and a still camera for stills. The camcorder's controls are designed for easy movie shooting, and the still camera's for stills. I find the techniques and requirements to be quite different. Some of the cameras now are so compact it's easy to carry one of each.

If you want to make 'good movies' I suggest you should at least take a look at the current models in camcorders. It is arguable that the best offerings are still digital tape-based (DVC), though that is an inevitably dying format. Hard-disk camcorders are worth a close look. Given your primary requirement for good video, you might be better asking in the 'hybrid' cameras forum...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...orum.php?id=92
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2009, 8:40 AM   #4

Thank you both for your answers.

Alan T is right - camcorders are ergonomically designed for the film and, therefore, are more practical to make movies; however, most important, is the final result. Samples of "Vimeo", some still cameras are superior to camcorders and I have no doubt the still cameras are better than the camcorder to make photos. I think manufacturers are working better developing still cameras than camcorders. If the movies are similar in both but the pictures are better in still we have to choose a good still camera. I also prefer the design of a camcorders to best fit the hand, but my videos, usually, don't take more than 5 minutes continuous. I think I'll wait for the Panasonic TZ5.

Thanks

Mr.T is offline   Reply With Quote