Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 31, 2009, 6:18 AM   #1

I'm considering selling my Canon Powershot a620 and moving to an a590. I love my a620, but the 4 AA's make it bulky/heavy for a compact. Are the features in the a590 besides the smaller size/weight worth the switch? I'm most interested if the increase in f-stop and iso is noticeable. Flash/megapixels/video are non-issues. I want to have manual controls and have an extremely limited budget, and the a590 seems to be the camera in that market.
cemicolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2009, 8:31 AM   #2

With the A590, you'll get similar picture quality at lower ISO's, the option of using ISO 800 and 1600 (not great quality but useful to have) and a lighter, smaller camera. On the downside, you'll have longer flash recycling time, a slightly worse movie mode (the A590 only shoots at 20 fps at 640 x 480) and you'll lose the twisting LCD.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 4:44 PM   #3

Does the A620 have optical image stabilization? I know the A590 does.

You should be able to sell your A620 on ebay to recoup a large portion of the money you'll need to buy an A590. But don't hesitate too long - I think the A590 is on clearance almost everywhereit's being sold.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 10:46 PM   #4

I have an A610 (the 5 megapixel version of the A620) and have used an A590 quite a bit. I've always been impressed with my 610 and really enjoy its 'feel'. I've not been impressed by the 590, although it seems to function fine as a relatively inexpensive camera (ie. produces decent pics). It just feels cheap to me. The 610 seems a lot more substantial. Although the 4 batteries do make it a bit bulkier and heavier, they seem to give the 610 alot betterlife. I also enjoy the 610/620's articulatedLCD. Personally, the A590 doesn't offer enough, to me, to give up my A610.

David
David_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2009, 3:41 AM   #5

I'm going to keep the a620, partially because of the bigger sensor, but mostly because it would be easier to have a dedicated manual camera and save up longer to get an ultracompact that I can throw in my pocket. Thanks for the input, made my decision much easier.
cemicolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2009, 2:19 PM   #6

I kinda did the same thing. I got a Canon Elph (used, an older model) to carry when I don't really want to have to deal with a camera. It's the size of a box of cigarettes. I tend to forget I even have it with me. Of the four cameras I own, I use the little Canon the most. It's not my favorite camera, but it's the one that I'm more likely to have with me.

David
David_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 7:04 PM   #7

I love my Canon A620 ,flip monitor is an amazing tool!
glaeken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 7:24 PM   #8

cemicolin-

To get a bigger/better increase in camera qualities: smaller form factor, faster lens, and the ability to handle photos more agile capabilities at high ISO settings, I think you have to make a larger jump up the camera food chain. Budget may prevent this, but the newly introduced Canon S-90 or even the Sony WX-1 seem like choices that will give you that much improvement in form factor, image quality, and high iso capability.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote