Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 4, 2009, 1:04 PM   #21

Yeah Steve is great. I've been visiting the website since about 2003, I think? Very informative.

Guys, I've been thinking it over and I really think I should get either the Canon Rebel XSi or the Nikon D80. I'm sure the D40 and D60 are great cameras too, but I don't wanna feel bad about not being able to get any type of lens in the future, and from what I've read, the general quality of the D80 in pictures is also better. Would you agree with this?

The thing is, I don't know which of these two cameras to get. They both seem pretty damn good, and the reviews are great.
johncd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:26 PM   #22

I've been doing some research on both, and have a couple of concerns:

First, I want to buy a 50mm lens in the future, and when comparing the Canon one to the equivalent Nikkon one, it seems that according to this link http://free.art.pl/fotografie/johnst...kehRatings.pdf , the Canon one has way better bokeh than the Nikon one (AF-Nikkor 50mm ƒ/1.4, and the Canon one is Canon EF 50mm ƒ/1.4). So I'm guessing this would be a factor I have to consider, unless the Nikon lens itself is really better than the Canon apart from the bokeh.

And second, in this Nikon D80 review http://www.bythom.com/d80review.htm , under the Performance area, there's a "Noise" section, which talks about noise in the D80. Now, I'm completely new to SLRS (digital or otherwise), so I don't really understand completely what he's talking about, but is this something I should be concerned about, or is it really not important?

Thanks for all the help you guys have given me so far!
Old Feb 5, 2009, 7:41 AM   #23

Quote:
First, I want to buy a 50mm lens in the future, and when comparing the Canon one to the equivalent Nikkon one, it seems that according to this link http://free.art.pl/fotografie/johnst...kehRatings.pdf , the Canon one has way better bokeh than the Nikon one (AF-Nikkor 50mm ƒ/1.4, and the Canon one is Canon EF 50mm ƒ/1.4). So I'm guessing this would be a factor I have to consider, unless the Nikon lens itself is really better than the Canon apart from the bokeh.
I haven't used either lens so I really can't comment, except for the fact that bokeh is a very subjective matter. Ask 10 guys and you'll likely get several different opinions as to the quality of bokeh in any lens. Another thing to consider is the Nikon f1.4 has been updated and will likely have different results when compared to the older version in this review.
Quote:
And second, in this Nikon D80 review http://www.bythom.com/d80review.htm , under the Performance area, there's a "Noise" section, which talks about noise in the D80. Now, I'm completely new to SLRS (digital or otherwise), so I don't really understand completely what he's talking about, but is this something I should be concerned about, or is it really not important?

Hogan's reveiw speaks specifically about Amp noise. Unless you're doing real long exposures, amp noise shouldn't be an issue. As for noise in general, the D80 does pretty well...you can safely make decent prints at 1600. It doesn't handle noise as well as it's replacement, the D90, but is a very competant camera. I still have mine as a backup to my D300.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2009, 11:52 AM   #24

How important would a zoom lens be?

I'm thinking that maybe to save a little bit of money, I should just consider one of these options:

1) Get the Nikon D80 body + Nikon 50mm f/1.8D lens. My first time using this camera will be when I'm on vacation in NYC, so I don't know if you guys think that's a good place to use a 50mm, or if the 18-55mm would be better for shots there. I would eventually get a zoom lens in a few months, though.

2) Get the Nikon D60 + 18-5mm VR lens. It would save me a lot of money, and I could really be able to use any lens I want except for that 50mm f/1.8D lens, which means I'd have to save until I eventually have enough for the AF-S 1.4 one. Don't know if it's worth it? I also read that the D60 does have a few really minor advantages over the D80, like active d-lighting, dust removal, and better performance at high ISO.

3) Get the Canon Rebel XSi + 18-55mm IS lens, and I would eventually get that 50mm f/1.8 lens which has a reaaaally good price. The ONLY thing is, the Rebel doesn't feel as comfortable as the Nikon's, but if apart from that it's the best option, I'd consider it.

4) Same as #3, but get the Rebel XS instead if it's still a good option for a beginner like me, just starting out but wanting high quality pictures.

What do you guys think about my options so far?
Old Feb 6, 2009, 4:24 PM   #25

Oh and in addition to that: Spot metering for a beginner, is it important?
Old Feb 6, 2009, 5:06 PM   #26

Personally, I'd rather have the D80 over the D60. I don't find the advantages you list as all that important. The D80 is a great tool and a complete camera, where the D60 is somewhat limited (like most entry level cameras). However, I'd also prefer the flexibility of the 18-55, and given the choice I'd rather have a d60 with an 18-55 over a D80 with a 50f1.8. The issue with getting the d60, you'll be forced to get the more expensive 50 f1.4 if you want to autofocus, if you think you need a bright prime in the future. Really, in many cases, you're better off with a flash and a zoom lens, than a bright prime. I've got a 50 f1.8, but rarely use it. Now if you're more into available light shooting, the D60 probably isn't a good choice.

Spot metering is a useful tool, but one that can get you in trouble if not used correctly.

As was mentioned, your skills will likely be the biggest limiting factor in your progression as a photographer.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 8:32 PM   #27

Yeah I do love available light photos. Considering what you just told me, and the fact that I'm trying not to go over budget, what do you think about the Rebel XS? Or even the XSi? When compared to the D60/D80.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 9:04 PM   #28

I can't really specifically comment on the Canon, as I shoot Nikon (I just got an Olympus e-510 though). I think the Canon probably has better specs, and is the better choice at the entry level....better AF, arguably better noise handling. I do think Nikon is better at the semi-pro to pro end (although only marginally). The D80 has been replaced by the D90, but is still a solid camera. Really, any DSLR will give great results. I would handle the camera's and see what feels the best in your hands. You can analyze and over analyze this decision to death, and the more you read and hear, the more confused you'll get.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 9:07 PM   #29

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
I can't really specifically comment on the Canon, as I shoot Nikon (I just got an Olympus e-510 though). I think the Canon probably has better specs, and is the better choice at the entry level....better AF, arguably better noise handling. I do think Nikon is better at the semi-pro to pro end (although only marginally). The D80 has been replaced by the D90, but is still a solid camera. Really, any DSLR will give great results. I would handle the camera's and see what feels the best in your hands. You can analyze and over analyze this decision to death, and the more you read and hear, the more confused you'll get.
Well, I tried the XS in the store today and really liked it. It actually feels a bit more comfortable in my hands than the XSi for some reason.

I'm starting to think about the accessories now. For example, should I get the 4GB EXtreme III 30 Mbps SD card? Or just a regular speed one? Since I'm new to this stuff I don't know if I'll need the extra speed, or even what it's good for.

Second thing is the flash. For now, I'd only be able to afford a 220EX Speedlite TTL flash, and not the 430EX, which seems to be a lot better (bounce, swivel). So I'm not sure if I should just hold off on the flash until I can afford the 430. Or hell, if I even need an external flash. Maybe the one in the camera is enough? That would clear up my budget, and I'd be able to get the Canon 50mm 1.8 lens, which I'm also not sure if I should get instead of saving for the 1.4

And finally I have no idea which camera bag to get :-) . I want a sort of compact one where I can put the body and a flash/lens. I'd upgrade to a bigger one when I need one eventually. But I can't seem to find a small one for now.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 12:52 PM   #30

johncd wrote:
Quote:
So I'm not sure if I should just hold off on the flash until I can afford the 430. Or heck, if I even need an external flash. Maybe the one in the camera is enough?
Definitely save up for the 430. The ability to bounce and swivel is the biggest advantage an external flash provides. And absolutely a good external flash is 1000% better than the built in flash on ANY camera. No question about it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote