Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 4, 2009, 11:46 AM   #1

Hey anyone, hope i'll find some help here... I'm a bit on a problematic decision... so here's the story:
I've been into photography for quite some time, already owned canon SLR and nikon one model as well. but they were film-requiring :P At that time i made one stupid decision - i've sold the great cameras, first went the canon, then later the nikon... Quite some time passed and i decided i couldn't live without photography, but it was the time of digital photography blooming on the regular market, and i ended with a decision to get myself a digicam. My choice ended as Olympus C-4000 great camera btw. :P This camera was used rather extensively up to now, i'm begining to feel the need for more manual type of control. Sure the Olympus works great, it has only 3x zoom, but starts from below 28mm and f2.8 At the time of buying that was really something! (canons offered 32-35mm at f3.5) The lens are simply great, with only some minor gripes - speed of the thing - not that good, memory card - only of the olympus kind, wish it was CF or SD ;/, bulky - almost as if new dslr in my hands :P Now i have quite a few interesting options here to go ahead, back into the slr world...
The Canon eos 1000d (XS rebel) with kit 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS lens goes for 1600,00 PLN = 342,2680 EUR = 443,5819 USD = 307,6154 GBP = 510,9210 CHF, no card included ;/
The Nikon D60 with similar lens (less the stabilization) goes for 1500,00 PLN = 320,8762 EUR = 415,8580 USD = 288,3894 GBP = 478,9884 CHF, no card included as well.
Finally I found an offer here (hope it'll still be on on the weekend) on Sony a200 with kit 18-70mm lenses for 900,00 PLN = 192,5257 EUR = 249,5148 USD = 173,0337 GBP = 287,3930 CHF and regular price elsewhere of 1500,00 PLN = 320,8762 EUR = 415,8580 USD = 288,3894 GBP = 478,9884 CHF. No card included as well.
Basically I'm into dSLR to be able to catch some fast moving objects (yep, 4 legs, barking, hunting everything that moves, very young creatures :P), but i also love and always loved night photo shooting and macro shots. So these are my types of usage. I'm into great image quality, good performance (AF mostly and shutter lag, plus continunous drive mode, that's why i'm totally leaving the pocket-cam group behind), "easibility" (menus, settings, usage etc. - sometimes friends or family members will have to take the shot...). I've heard that D60 has the best high iso performance (iso 800+), canon has good noise control as well and a good lens in the kit... sony seems the weakest here, but has the built-in stability. and as i'm planing to get myself sooner or later a more usable range lens (18-200mm, probably by tamron for the lowly price but with dark f3.5-6.3) it seems sony takes the upper hand. i know canon looks great as well, but to be frank - i'm not overly rich, nor i'm able to spend much money on the camera system (basically i'd have to stick to kit lens for quite some time with the pricier models from my list, but with that a200 i could get myself that tamron at hand)... i'm planning to either get one extra more telezoom lens to the basic kit one, or replace the kit one with something of wider ranger 18-200 as the best and minimal :P At least for now and a couple of years :P
which one would you choose in my place? which do you suggest and why? and which not? :P thx
mkarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2009, 11:54 AM   #2

Lenses will end up costing you far more than your DSLR body.

So I'd focus on shopping for lenses you'd like to own now, and buy in the near future.

Then, depending on your lens needs, buy the appropriate camera body.

It's sort of backwards to the way people traditionally shop for DSLR's - but it makes a lot of sense when you think about it.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:01 PM   #3

it'd be great if not for the problem that the lenses i would love to have would cost more than my car :P and those lenses i have in mind to get now (those tamron's 18-200mm w/ macro magic button and f3.5-6.3) cost the same about 700pln for either of the camera... ultra wide and light lenses will come really later, as i'm short on cash now... but i may get a pay-rise in not that distant future and then those lenses would come real...
still the problem is, apart from those lens-kind decision, which one would suit me best?
Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:05 PM   #4

I'm a huge fan of Canon so if I were buying right now I'd get the Rebel XSi hands down with no reservations.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:16 PM   #5

if i had the funds i would as well, but i don't... so i'm stuck with rebel XS (also know as eos 1000d here in europe) from the canon line-up... or othose other models
Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:27 PM   #6

There are a lot of conflicts in your selection.

The Canon has the best kit lens, by far, and the best autofocus system for sports/action/wildlife.But unlike Nikon, Canon has nostabilized Macro lenses, so handheld macrophotography is probably not a good idea with the Canon.

The Nikon D60 with the AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED would be a nice kit for macrophotography. But of the three, the D60 probably has the worst autofocus system for sports/action/wildlife, so that probably rules out the Nikon.

That leaves the Sony.

The A200 has sensor shift image stabilization in the camera body, so any OEM, third party, or used lens will be stabilized. While the kit lens isn't great, there are lots of alternatives in the used market that can be had for <$100 US. (Unfortunately, you can't buy the A200 without the kit lens.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:30 PM   #7

Nice analysis TCAV!

The Rebel XS would be my second choice.

If I was severely cash strapped, I'd look at the Olympus, or look for a second hand DSLR.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 1:05 PM   #8

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
The Rebel XS would be my second choice.
Yes, for macrophotography, the Canon would work well with extension tubes, which are inexpensive, but not nearly as convenient.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2009, 1:32 PM   #9
Administrator

That's a super deal on that Sony. Are you sure that's a reputable vendor?

Both the Sony A200 and Nikon D60 use a Sony 10MP Sensor. Nikon's image processing is a different, and Nikon has very good noise reduction algorithms.

But, the Sony has a more advanced 9 point Autofocus system, larger viewfinder and the ability to wirelessly control the compatible Sony external flashes via it's built in flash (the Nikon D60 requires an optional commander unit or a separate shoe mounted flash to control an external flash wirelessly). You'd also have the ability to use any Minolta Autofocus lens ever made with the Sony (and enjoy the benefits of stabilization with them, thanks to it's camera body based stablization system). With the Nikon, you'd be limited to lenses with built in focus motors if you want Autofocus (Nikon didn't include an AF motor in the D40, D40x and D60, so these bodies require lenses that have them, limiting your choices on the used market if you want AF)

Personally, between those models, I'd go Sony, even if the price were the same or a bit higher. But, I'm a probably bit biased that way since I currently shoot with a Sony A700. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2009, 2:23 PM   #10

Whatever you decide to buy, make sure it's from a reputable vendor. Use www.resellerratings.com to find out how other customers have fared with the vendor you are considering.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote