Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 5, 2009, 5:28 AM   #1

Hi I am looking for some advice about which digital camera I should get the camera is for the IT department at the school I work at so it needs to be easy to use now the problem is the teachers think that messing about with rechargeable AA batteries is to complicated so I need something that chargers either by plugging in an A/C adapter or can be put onto a docking station, I don't mind if it has AA batteries in as long as it rechargers as specified.

The price range I have is between £50 and £100 I don't mind if the A/C adapter/docking station needs to be bought separately as long as I know it will charge the camera. I have managed to find 2 cameras in the price range that can plug into an A/C adapter but nothing tells me if the A/C adapter actually charges the cameras battery or not, these cameras are the Fuji FinePix J50 and the Canon PowerShot A470

Any information you can give me will be very much appreciated and if you have other suggestions for cameras please do not hesitate to tell me thanks in advance.

John
johnjrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:01 AM   #2

The Fuji J50 uses a rechargeable battery that plugs into an A/C outlet. The Canon A470 uses 2 AA batteries, though it's probably the better camera.

If the Sony W120 is within your price range, it's a much better camera than the Fuji J50 and also plugs into an A/C outlet.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:50 PM   #3

All of the cameras mentioned so far require the battery to be removed from the camera and inserted into a separate recharging unit. Not in-camera recharging, which I think is what the OP wanted? The non-AA cameras do include the recharging unit with the camera. As a rule AA cameras do not include recharging unit.

If in-camera recharging is wanted, that is very limited on today's market. A few select models by Casio, Kodak, Samsung, and Sony. Your staff may be happier simply keeping a supply of 1-shot AA batts on hand.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2009, 10:22 PM   #4

The Kodak V1003 or V803 has the in-camera charging function. It works like what one does to charge one's handphone battery. The Kodak charging adaptor is included in the package.
dancheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 5:34 AM   #5

Hi sorry I did not reply sooner been very busy thanks for all the information and advice it is very much appreciated. I have had a look at the Kodak V1003 and V803 but cannot actually seem to find anywhere that sells them but I think I have found the models that have replaced them (Kodak V1073) so I am looking into them now. If anyone has any other suggestions they will be greatly appreciated as I have to make it look like the teachers have a choice.

Once again thanks for all the help.

John
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:19 AM   #6

Casio offered an optional cradle for their S880. But like the Kodak V803 / V1003 this model has been dropped. So is now hard to find.

A few of the current Samsung models do have in-camera charging via their USB cable. Assuming your computer has that class USB port of course. Dunno exactly which Samsung models, you will have to research that.

And a few of the currentSony T-series work with an optional cradle. But these are rather pricey.

Otherwise, for a current model, Kodak may be your only practical choice. A bit sad that, as the Canon, Panasonic, and Sony W-series in the same price range are really nicer cameras.

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:00 AM   #7

Hi thanks for all the help it has been very much appreciated I managed to find a camera that charges via the USB the Samsung L210.

Thanks

John

Old Feb 11, 2009, 5:59 PM   #8

johnjrhodes wrote:
Quote:
Hi thanks for all the help it has been very much appreciated I managed to find a camera that charges via the USB the Samsung L210.

Thanks

John
Great. Glad you found something.
mariners2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 4:55 AM   #9

USB charging system may cost a bit more; you need to buy a charger that plugs to the wall power socket and also has a USB port for the USB cable to be inserted.

Not everyone is amendable to switching on their PC in order to charge their camera or handphone. I know my wife dislike such hassle.

Good luck!
dancheng is offline   Reply With Quote