Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 5, 2009, 10:15 AM   #1

I'll start with a little background about me and my camera needs. :arrow:

1. Photography is just an occasional hobby: landscape, buildings, portrait
2. Have an old Minolta SLR and a year and half ago bought a Kodak Z712 IS to try out digital
3. Don't plan on acquiring any more lens (see point one)
4. My budget is 300€ for a 2nd hand camera (see point one)

I've found several options within my budget:
230€ »» Nikon D70 + Kit Lens 18-70
220€ »» Nikon D40 + Kit Lens 18-55
280€ »» Olympus E420 + Kit Lens 14-42
350€ »» Canon 30D without lens (can get kit lens for 50€)

I know the Canon is above my original budget but if it's worth the extra 100€ I might forget the budget :roll:

Any suggestions about which one to get?
Karsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2009, 10:42 AM   #2

Can you explain what you're looking for in a dSLR? ... what features are important to you? ... how you managed to narrow your selection down to those four?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2009, 10:49 AM   #3

Mostly I'm looking for an improvement on my low light/high iso shots, using my Kodak as a reference point any dRSL should be able to achieve that.
So I'm listing cameras within my budget that are for sale in my area.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 12:14 PM   #4
Administrator

Those prices all look too low. Are you sure you're looking at prices from a reputable vendor?

For low light/high ISO speed use, the 30D probably is your best bet between those choices. The kit lenses are not really bright enough for low light use without a flash. So, I'd get a Canon 50mm f/1.8 Autofocus lens to go along with it (under $100) as a supplement to a zoom lens or lenses (which would give you more versatility).

If you go D70 (and that's a discontinued model that did have some Quality Control issues causing premature failures in some batches), I'd get a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF lens to go with it for when you need to shoot without a flash indoors in low light.

50mm may be a tad long, depending on what you want to shoot. But, other options in brighter primes (fixed focal length versus zoom) will cost your much more.

Note that the D40 does not have a built in focus motor, so you would lose Autofocus on a lens like the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF lens (since this camera body requires a lens with a focus motor built in to focus). Only the D40, D40x and D60 require lenses with built in focus motors to Autofocus (for example, Nikkor AF-S or Sigma HSM lenses). Other Nikon dSLR models (D50, D70, D70s, D80, D90, etc.) have focus motors built into their camera bodies (so they'll work with Autofocus lenses that don't have motors built in).

Quote:
Have an old Minolta SLR...
Is it Autofocus? What lenses do you have for it? Sony dSLR models can use any Minolta Autofocus (Maxxum, Dynax, Alpha mount) lens.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2009, 12:31 PM   #5

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Those prices all look too low. Are you sure you're looking at prices from a reputable vendor?
They're all 2nd hand. For the time and effort I'll spend I don't want to go overboard.

Quote:
Is it Autofocus? What lenses do you have for it? Sony dSLR models can use any Minolta Autofocus (Maxxum, Dynax, Alpha mount) lens.
I have V-lens... of all Minolta models...

Old Feb 5, 2009, 12:38 PM   #6
Administrator

Karsa wrote:
Quote:
I have V-lens... of all Minolta models...
That's too bad. The APS Minolta Vectis cameras were never very popular. I doubt you'd even find an adapter for those. Minolta did come out with a digital camera that could use them years earlier. You can see Steve's review of it here:

Minolta RD3000

But, I don't think any of more modern dSLR models are going to be able to use those older lenses.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:23 PM   #7

Nobody mentions the Olympus E420... I'll have to defend it's inclusion on my list:
It's the only new camera on the list (promotional gift hence the price).
Picture Quality isn't much different from Nikon models: http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/(appareil1)/229|0/(appareil2)/197|0/(appareil3)/300|0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Nikon/(brand2)/Nikon/(brand3)/Olympus

The Canon 30D is on another level but after further consideration is more them what I want to expend at the moment.

That leaves the 2 Nikons and the Olympus.
Nikon D70,
Quote:
discontinued model... Quality Control issues
Nikon D40,
Quote:
does not have a built in focus motor
Olympus,
Quote:
no IS
I think those are the big disadvantages of each solution, any other thoughts?
Old Feb 5, 2009, 10:27 PM   #8

Take a look of Pentax k100D Super. It is around $450.

Steve's has reviewed and recommended it as a starter DSLR.

Here is the URL of Steve's review in 2007:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...ax_k100ds.html

Here is his conclusion:
Quote:
The bottom line - This lightweight, durable camera was fun to use. While the K100D Super's 6-megapixel resolution lags behind that of some entry-level models by competing manufacturers, the addition of Shake Reduction (SR) and Dust Removal to a set of mature and useful camera features makes for an attractive consumer dSLR. With the street price hovering around $599 (US) with a 18-55mm zoom lens, the K100D Super is a great value. With a price point that overlaps into consumer digicam territory, the K100D Super offers a compelling choice to point-n-shoot upgraders. Further more, users of Pentax film SLR's will be tempted to make the jump to digital, with their inventory of K-mount lenses being compatible with the K100D Super AND its integral Shake Reduction feature.

dancheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2009, 10:28 PM   #9

Karsa wrote:
Quote:
I'm listing cameras within my budget that are for sale in my area.
(emphasis mine.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 8:47 AM   #10

Any system you choose is going to have some compromises. There is no perfect solution or perfect camera. You're also taking a risk by buying a used DSLR, although if it's coming from a reputable vendor and has some warranty, that would lessen the risk. Of the kit's you mentioned the OLY is probably the safest bet. It's a current model, and has had no issues that I'm aware of. It is a bit sluggish in performance especially in AF, but is small and lightweight. I've handled the 420 and I think it's a bit too small, so you should at least handle it before making any decision. The lack of IS is a minus, but none of the other kits you are looking at has IS/VR either, unless you buy VR lenses, which is beyond your budget right now. As was mentioned, D70's had some issues (specifically know as BLGOD). I'm not sure if Nikon is still repairing this issue for free..even if they are, if you get it and it needs to be repaired it's at the very least inconvenient. The camera is also almost 5 years old, which is an eternity in this environment. The 30d is probably the best camera, but it too is long in the tooth, and a used semi pro model camera, likely has some miles under the hood.

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote