Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 6, 2009, 1:49 PM   #1

Hi,

I am in the market for a new camera and need some guidence as to what I should buy. Presently I am using a Panasonic Lumix LZ7 and it takes wonderful shots outside (but most cameras do I gather) but is really disappointing when shoting indoors, so much so that I often use my film camera a Minolta SLR Maxxum 450i.

I am trying to decide between a superzoom or entrylevel SLR or prosumer digicam. I shoot 60% indoors mostly in the house and 40% outdoors. I mostly shoot people(ie my family). I work with a professional photographer, during the day he shoots senators ect.. on parliment hill here in Ottawa Canada and he is trying to point me towards the Canon SX10IS. He always asks me " Do you wan't to carry around a body 2lens minum, or do you wan't to pull it out and shoot". He thinks for an individule like my self the added quality of the picture in a entrylevel SLR will not be great enough to justify the added cost of a body 2 lenses ect.. plus he says the Canon SX10 IS has a shoe for an external flash. My wife on the otherhand wants the absolute best camera to take pictures indoors regardless of the type of camera it is but she does believe that an SLR is the way to go as she thinks picture for picture it will get better results than any other camera.

To be honest we have always used our Minolta like a point and shoot and have never adjusted anything.We have also neveradjusted anything on our Panasonic LZ7.We have used Manule focus ie focusing on Niagara falls ect with the Minoltabut apart from that it has always been point and shoot and I don't expect things to change much here.

So what do we want to do?

Take good pics indoors (this is most important)

point and shoot simpliciy

minimum 10x optical zoom

30mm or less at the wide angle

Is there any recommendations? would like to be around $500 canadian. Do we go entylevel slr Nikon D40 around $450 with 18-55 lense Canon Reble a litlle over $500 with a 18-55 lense or do we stay with a point and shoot like the Canon Sx10 Is or are there better cameras suited to us?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Stephen P Larocque71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2009, 2:48 PM   #2

First, the lens or lenses you have for your Minolta 450i will work on any Sony dSLR, so you would have a head start with lenses. There is one consideration with that, however. Most of Sony's dSLRs have an image sensor that is smaller than a 35mm film exposure, so your lenses will have an angle of view about 2/3 what you are accustomed to. Another way to look at it is that a 50mm lens on a Sony dSLR will have the same angle of view as a 75mm lens on a 35mm film SLR. That's what is often referred to as the 1.5X'Crop Factor' because the dSLR's smaller image sensor crops off some of the image projected by the lens.

But the good news is that if you've got a lens or lenses that are appropriate for low light/indoor photography, they will just as appropriate when used with a Sony dSLR!

All Sony dSLRs have an AUTO mode that gives you the "point and shoot simpliciy" that you want, but can also give you a lot more control when you want it. Depending on what lenses you already have, you could suppliment your lens collection with any number of good, inexpensive, Sony, third party, and used Minolta lenses that you would also be able to use with your Minolta 450i if you wanted.

And most Sony dLSRs come with the 18-70mm kit lens, which gives an angle of view equivalent to a 27-105mm lens, which will satisfiy your requirement for a 30mm wide angle.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 6:28 PM   #3

I have a Panasonic FZ28 and a Pentax K200D. If I had to pick between the two, I would probably pick the superzoom because of its compact size, light weight, and versatility. However, I can easily see that getting a camera like the very reasonably priced Sony A200 might be a good choice for you. DSLR's are almost always better than superzooms in low light unless you use a flash.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 9:12 PM   #4

I too use my FZ-28 even more than my Oly E-510, or my Canon XT for the very same reason. It is compact, light and does a great job even in low light situations. Here is an onstage photo from last night's entertainment with the FZ-28 - F 3.6 at 1/10th at ISO 400, hand held.

Sarah Joyce

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 11:31 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply TCav. I never considered the Sony as my professional photographer friend told me he only buys cameras from company's that have always made cameras, but after reading some reviews online I will add the A 200 to my short list. As for my lenses from the Minolta they are nothing spectacular one is a Minolta AF Zoom 35-70 1:35 (22)-4.5 while my other lens is a Minolta Maxxum AF zoom 80-200 1:4.5 (22)-5.6 so nothing spectaculer for low light but at least it's some extra lenses to acompany the kit lense until I can get a 2.8f, if I were to go down that road. Anyhow definate food for thought, and it's nice to here that Minolta still lives on even if the name says Sony.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 11:38 PM   #6

Thanks robbo and mtclimber. Digital Camera Review recently did a 7 camera comparison and the FZ28 scored 2nd on paper to the Canon SX10IS but the reviewer said she would choose the FZ28 over the Canon. That is a great pic mtclimber. In the end I just don't know if a could convince the wife to buy another Panasonic camera but since I am paying I'll get final word LOL! Not.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 8:35 AM   #7

Sony and Konica Minolta entered into an agreement in 2005 to jointly develop dSLRs. Sony bought all the camera assets from Konica Minolta in 2006, and has continued and further developed the products andtechnology that Minolta created. Sony has always made some of the best video cameras in the world. So Sony making dSLRs isn't much of a streatch. I wouldn't necessarily call Sony a 'Start Up'.

I shoot a lot of available light photos indoors without flash. I have the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and am pleased with the results, but it's >$400. Minolta used to make a 50mm f/1.7 lens (that I also have, and use indoors, and am pleased with) that is available on eBay for less that $100. That is a lot faster than anything you'd get in a superzoom P&S.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:31 AM   #8

Just an update.

After much searching and trying different camera's I bought a New Nikon D60 with a 18mm - 105mm Vr lense. It was a little more ok a lot more money than I was willing to spend but it just felt right in my hands.

I really wanted to like the Sony because of my lenses I already have but in the end the Nikon just felt right.

Thankyou to everyone for all the help.

Cheers