Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 7, 2009, 10:01 AM   #1

hello everyone, i wanna buy a new digicam and have narrowed my choices to the following
Samsung D760-7.2MP
Samsung D860-8.1MP

Panasonic Lumix DMC LS80-8.0MP
Panasonic Lumix DMC LZ8-8.3MP

Nikon Coolpix L16-7.1MP
Kodak Easyshare C813-8.2MP

i have read on many websites that pixel size doesn't really matter.
Does ISO play a very important role in a digicam?

have you guys had any experience with any of the model listed above?
please tell me which one i should buy and why?
Rishi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2009, 11:35 AM   #2

Of the cameras on your list, I'd go with the Panasonic LZ8 because I like its picture quality and its manual exposure controls. But your needs might be different.

Sony is currently discounting its small cameras. The Sony W120 is now being sold for about as much as the Panasonic LZ8 and it's a smaller, thinner camera with a rechargeable battery that takes excellent pictures.

ISO measures the sensitivity of your camera's sensor. Cameras with high sensitivity (up to 800 ISO, 1600 ISO or higher) can shoot photos in lower light, though the photos may come out grainy depending on the quality of the camera.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2009, 12:27 AM   #3

So many views and just one reply?
@andy thanks for replying mate...
Old Feb 8, 2009, 2:31 PM   #4

How about telling us what your budget is and what you want to take pictures of? Why did you settle on those cameras?

As Andy wrote, high ISO's allow you to take pictures in low light without a flash. However, many digicams have high ISO settings which are of little practical use since the pictures taken at those settings are so grainy and the colors so muddled.

I am going to suggest that you add the Nikon Coolpix L18 to your list. It has gotten good reviews, especially from dpreview, takes decent pictures at ISO 800 and can be gotten for about $100 from some etailers. Actually, it was being sold at that prce at Best Buy and Office Depot recently. Don't know about now.

As for "pixel size", I take it that you mean megapixels. In other words, just because a camera produces 10 megapixel images, it doesn't mean that it's a better camera than an 8 megapixel camera. That's true. Other factors come into play: lens quality, ISO range, start up time, shutter lag (pre-focused and not pre-focused), build quality (sturdy vs. flimsy), burst mode, delay between pictures (flash and non-flash), dynamic range, battery life, etc.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2009, 9:03 PM   #5

Just from your list the Panasonic LZ8 would be my pick as well. But I'd also try hard to find a Canon A590 IS or Panasonic FS3. On the USA market they are all about the same price.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 1:08 PM   #6

@robbo my budget is a maximum of 100USD. I am an amateur photographer so i take random indoor and outdoor pics... I rounded off those camera because they fall in my budget range
P.S. there has been an edit in the cameras list i had mentioned, check 1st post...
Old Feb 9, 2009, 1:27 PM   #7

I would still somehow get another 10 bucks and buy a Canon A590. It is very well reviewed, has lots of scene modes, and manual modes, and produces pretty decent pictures. Go to pricegrabber or dealsofamerica to look for the lowest price. I would suggest buydig. They're a legitimate, fast shipping, and low/no pressure etailer.

I think the quality of that camera warrants the extra 10 bucks.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:10 PM   #8

In India, it is priced at 7800INR, which is around 160USD
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:41 PM   #9

Wow! Very different from the US market. How bad is your price on the Panasonic FS3?

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 4:34 AM   #10

KCook wrote:
Quote:
Wow!* Very different from the US market.* How bad is your price on the Panasonic FS3?

Kelly
Panasonic FS3 is 8000INR i.e. 160USD
50INR=1USD