Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 10, 2009, 2:04 AM   #11
Super Moderator

There are a couple of things that worry me about your posts...

Quote:
I am attaching one of my latest shots, which has blur when viewed at 100%.
I am worried that you think upgrading your camera will solve these issues for you.

Firstly, chances are you may see a lot more blur in a picture from a DSLR unless you are sure that the exif show you have motion blur on those images.

Looking at 100% on screen is a TERRIBLE way to judge whether your images are sharp until you are very experienced. What is the final output for the image? Print or screen? If it's print then you need to adjust your viewing percentage substantially. Usually 25-50% magnification is about right. If screen, then resize according to the output size you want, then judge. DSLR pics by default usually are sharpened much less than P&S images, and they have a lot less DOF.

Same principle applies to noise. Judge at the appropriate output size.

Quote:
It was taken at sunrise...in my opinion there should have been enough light but...
Gotta put a big smiley after that one otherwise it's very worrying. You know how much more sensitive our brains are to changing light conditions right?

I am not trying to warn you off a DSLR, but we see a lot of people who get a DSLR and immediately end up with much worse pictures. The immediate reaction is to blame the camera, but then after a few months their pictures get better and later still they realise they are taking shots they could never have gotten with a P&S.

A P&S does a lot more for you than a DSLR does, if you're not getting the right results from one, 95% of the time it's due to inexperience by the user. And 95% of the time it's blamed on the camera.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 4:23 AM   #12

Thanks for the excellent feedback

A couple of things i would like to mention. One is that the reason that blur bothers me at 100% view is that i have had pictures rejected for sale because of that reason. It is true that for printing, personal viewing it would be no issue at all, but I have some other uses in mind...:idea:

I am pretty sure that it will take some time before i know my dslr quite well, and i will take some pretty lousy shots at the begining. I do admit as well that our eye is probably the best lens in the market!

One final request...coud you please state which one you would go for after sharing your thoughts?

thanks again!
kokiwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 5:53 AM   #13

With a budget of $1,000-$1,400, I'd forego the expensive dSLRs on your list, and get the Canon XSi and spend more on lenses. The XSi is 12MP,has low noise, and the kit lensis quite good. TheCanon 55-250 IS is also very good, but you don't seem to need anything longer than the kit lens.I'd also geta fast prime or two, and you may want to get a flash.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 8:51 AM   #14

With this in mind, would the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS be a good choice of lenses for the camera, let it be the Canon xsi or the 50d? After reading some opinions and reviews here i would say so but...
kokiwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 9:31 AM   #15

Let me say upfront that I like image stabilization, and I like fast lenses. Since Canon puts it's stabilization in the lens, that means I'd be looking for fast stabilized lenses. The kit lens is very nice and its stabilized. The 55-250 is also very nice and it's stabilized as well. But neither of them is particularly fast. That's why I recommended a fast prime or two. While I think that the kit lens may not be long enough for what you do, I think the 55-250 may be overkill as far as the focal length goes.

If I were you, I think I'd be looking at the 17-55mm f/2.8, 24-105mm f/4.0 and the 24-70mm f/2.8. The problem is that they're all >$1,000, which wouldn't leave enough to buy a body. So, in your position, I'd give up on the fast, and go with a stabilized zoom lens that could cover a broader range than the kit lens: the Canon EF-S 17mm - 85mm f/4.0-5.6 USM IS. At a little over $500, it still gives your budgetsome breathing room. And maybe you can get a flash too ... or a fast prime.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 1:48 PM   #16
Super Moderator

If you are submitting photos for sale then make sure the camera you choose has sufficient resolution for the agencies you are hoping to make money from. Best to find out before you buy.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote