Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 9, 2009, 6:54 PM   #1

I am looking for a new digital camera for my wife. Looking to get her one for valentine gift. The current one she has is a Kodak easy share that I bought her as a starter camera 3-4 years ago. It is Ok, but does not take very good photos indoors. I still want the camera to be compact and fairly simple to use. The biggest problem she has is with low light pictures andshutterspeed (action photos she usually misses because of the long shutter time). I have been looking at Canon and Sony brands recently (Cannon SD790 IS, or Sony W170 & T77). I am still pretty inexperienced when it comes to camera knowledge so let me know if you think these cameras would fit the bill. I also think a camera with a decent zoom would be good for her. Are there any other models or brands that would be better?
jchav74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:33 PM   #2

Sony and Canon are safe brands.

I amstrong proponent of only buying a camera AFTER the receipient has actually handled the camera. Subtle differences in the layout of the camera can be more difficult to handle for some users.

You mentioned the Canon SD790. The SD790 only has a zoom lens range of 35-105, what in the old days we would refer to as slightly wide angle toportrait telephoto. It is a good range. BUT the Canon SD970 has a zoom lens range of 37-185. Again,nearly thessameslightly wide angle, but increasesout to medium telephoto.

Is the SD970 a better camera? No. Is it a better camera for your wife? Maybe, because of the longer zoom range. Of course Canon has SD cameras with a wider lens as well if wider is better for your needs (like indoor photos trying to get the entire group or scene in one picture).

The Sony W170 looks like a nice camera (I am not a big fan of the Sony's.... back to the handling issue... but that is MY decision and others will disagree) with a nice zoom range of 28-140.

AlsoSony uses the proprietary Memory Stick Memory Card while Canon uses the more commonSD memory card.

All of these cameras will do better than your previous camera. Each generation of camera has a higher level of performance, especially with regards to shutter lag and all around performance and ease of use. However,NONE of the cameras on the market are fantastic indoors unless you use the flash and even then the flash units are not powerful enough to reach 60' or illuminate a really wide angle scene.

There are cameras which accept add-on flash units. And then eitheryour budget increases or the convenience of the camera decreases.

Would I consider any other brands? Panasonic comes to mind. The PanasonicDMC-FX150would be a nice alternative and would add a faster (f stop) lens to the mix. But the lens is not that much faster to make your sole decision process on that lens.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 1:19 PM   #3

Thanks for thr reply. I did take my wife to look at some cameras a few weeks ago. However, she was not very particular about the feel of the cameras. I think for her it comes down to portability (small enough to place in her purse or hand bag when we go out, etc...) and simplicity to take good pictures. I think the more zoom capability the better for her. I did look at a panasonic TZ5 (I think) and a canon 880 IS.
jchav74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 3:42 PM   #4

Take a look at the Canon A2000 IS. It appears to be a good product, easy to use, excellent images results, and fairly compact for her purse.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_...n_a2000is.html

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 6:02 PM   #5

jchav74 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for thr reply. I did take my wife to look at some cameras a few weeks ago. However, she was not very particular about the feel of the cameras. I think for her it comes down to portability (small enough to place in her purse or hand bag when we go out, etc...) and simplicity to take good pictures. I think the more zoom capability the better for her. I did look at a panasonic TZ5 (I think) and a canon 880 IS.
More Zoom?

I love ya babe.

(Just a figure of speech)

You want Zoom, thenby all means check out the Panny TZ5 and the slightly less costly TZ4 OR the newest versions of the TZ family the TZ6 and TZ7.

(Panny ugrades cameras every 12 months. The "old" TZ's have just barely reached store shelves and the "new" camera is scheduled to start production. Don't worry about the age of the camera.... just buy what you like chosen from current models)

The new TZ's are a bit wider (25 versus 28) and have more reach (300 versus 280). Oh, and a few more pixels and updated software etc. And the price will be higher because they are "new".

The TZ4 and TZ5 are about to be a steal of a price at Circuit City..... if any are left in the store in your town. (Discounts increase tonight so buy on Thursday).

The TZ's are light weight, purse friendly, easy to use and have the great big zoom range. Great combination. Are the TZ's perfect cameras? No. But bang for the buck they are hard to beat.

The only even remotely comparable camera on the market to the TZ's is the Canon SX110is. The Canon is physically larger, heavier andlacks the zoom range at the critical wide angle. Personally I like the FEEL of the Canon better than the TZ's, but I love the TZ's for just all around usefulness.

StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 6:38 PM   #6

Just before I left in mid January 2009 to teach Digital Cameras on Cruise Ships for 6 months. I did a whole separate thread on the Sony H-10 camera. Take a look nat that thread and you will find many photo samples and information. The H-10 is an excellent camera. It is a bit bigger than the W-170, but it give you 10X Optical Zoom and great flash capabilities that would be excellent for your indoor photos. I have attached a Sony H-10 photo for your reference. The photo was taken from a distance of 23 feet, using the H-10's zoom.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 6:39 PM   #7

I apologize, this was an inadvertent double post.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote