Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 10, 2009, 8:42 AM   #1

I've ordered the Fuji s8100 from Amazon, with the ability to return it within 30 days for a full refund if I don't like it.

The other4 I was interested in are the Kodak 1012, Panasonic FZ28, CanonS5, and the Olympus 565. I'd liketo stay under $300.00, which the Panasonic and Canon are not. The Olympus is interesting to me, but I cannot find any reviews of it online, only specs.

I'm most interested in user-friendliness and the ability to get a good picture. The sample pics from the Kodak online look really good, but somehow the Kodak 1012 felt "cheap" when I tried it out.

I'd really appreciate replies from anyone who has hands on experience with these, or knows of any reason to stay away from any of them.

Thanks - I appreciate it.

Linda in PA
camperlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2009, 8:39 AM   #2

As I write this I am awaiting the arrival of the Fuji 8100 I recently purchased. Having done a lot of research reading reviews I finally took the plunge and decided to purchase this camera, I liked the features, especially being able to have the ability of manual settings, plus the price was good.

Was just wondering if you have tested out the one you bought yet and any pros or cons , since doing so?

SJS314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:22 PM   #3

Yes, and I returned it to Amazon. The picture quality was about the same as the Fuji s5700 I have, and the menu system was the same old thing. I did like the "build" of the camera quite a bit though.

Instead, I exchanged it for the Olympus SP565uz and that menu system is unbelievable. I love it and the pictures seem much better.

Linda
camperlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2009, 7:38 AM   #4

I did recieve my Fuji S8100 two days ago, have not tested it out completely, just having used it indoors to take a few shots of my dog , testing out its low light capability without a flash so far. I am happy with it, although at first it seemed a bit complecated menu wise until I went thru the manual a bit more. As it is replaceing an older much used Kodak easyshare 1 MP , this is a big step up for me and at this point will be keeping it unless something comes up in further testing.

I went and did a comparison of the Olympus model you bought and did like the fact that it has a hotshoe for an external flash and the 20x zoom on it.
SJS314 is offline   Reply With Quote