Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:53 AM   #1

Hi there -

I had a Sony Cybershot (6 mp, can't remember the letters) for about two years before my 2 year old got her grubby hands on it and bent the lens arm (thanks hun!) In any event, I'm looking for a camera $200 or under, that will serve my needs:

Taking pictures of children
Indoors and Out
Small, but with a good zoom
Love the new smileshot features.

Before the Sony, I've only used Olympus digicams and currently also have the C-7070 which I love. I did like the Sony, but hated two things:

The selection wheel spun when it was in my pocket, so I'd whip out the camera to take a quick shot and not realize it was on video. Or manual. Or night shot. Or something that made the photo horrible.

Two, after a while, the camera started to just randomly shift from mode to mode - I think due to the whole wheel/pocket thing - might have messed it up somehow.

Does anyone know of when there will be a review of the FE-5010 up here, or does anyone have one? Seems too good to be true (12MP, all the goodies, under $200) but Olympus hasn't steered me wrong before...

Thanks!
Kerry
kerry8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2009, 12:23 PM   #2

Some Olympus point and shoots have received decent reviews, some terrible reviews. The FE 5010 may be a good camera but I wouldn't buy one unless and until the professional reviewers give it good reviews.

However, there is a good, inexpensive Olympus point and shoot available now - the FE-370. I has optical image stabilization, intelligent auto mode (selects the right scene mode for you), smile detection and face detection. It has 5x optical zoom. I've seen it from reputable online dealers for as low as $115.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:20 PM   #3

I like that new Oly FE-370 too. Not so many features as that one, but for very casual use (and child bait) the Nikon S52,Panasonic FS5, and Samsung TL9 (aka NV9) might hold up better than the Oly. Whatever you try, buy from a store that makes returns easy. Just in case.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2009, 9:49 PM   #4

Thank you both for your answers - I've been checking out all of the options. Decided I didn't like the fe-5010 once I saw it at Target - it felt pretty flimsy and I wasn't crazy about the picture quality.

How do you guys (and anyone else) feel about Sony and/or Fuji? I was thinking about getting another DSCW120 (or W220 when it comes out in a week) and I was also looking at Fuji as well.

As you can tell, I'm confused!! I want to be able to capture my kids, so being able to take photos fast is a huge plus for me. Also, I'd love to take videos of them as well, something my old Sony did and I loved.

Thanks again for any and all advice of course!!!
kerry8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:29 PM   #5

I happen to have the Fuji F45fd. Works fine for me, but I'm not all that impressed with Fuji consumer J-series. I think you're on the right track with the Sony W120/220.

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote