Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 12, 2009, 5:06 PM   #1

I'm considering getting a Pentax KM with the 18-55 lens. I plan to use it as a every day...'carry around' camera.

I have a K10D with a number of lenses and the battery grip. I find carrying the K10D + battery grip + 16-45 and the camera bag a bit too much.

I looked at the Canon G10 and the Pentax KM...the KM is a bit heavier and bigger, but when looking at prints from both cameras the KM's pix are better IMO. No surprise as the DSLR has a bigger sensor.

I'm looking to make an informed decision so please tell me the good and the bad about the KM. Thankyou.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2009, 6:53 PM   #2

The KM uses the same sensor as your K10 - pictures will be quite similar in quality (a huge plus for the KM in my opinion). It doesn't have as many features as the K10, the light weight comes at the expense of the top monitor and the weather sealing. It seems to be a camera that current Pentaxians either love or hate, with the majority I've read about really liking theirs. If my K100 ever dies, I'd probably replace it with the KM. If nothing else, it would be a great excuse to buy a couple of the pancake Limited prime lenses (DA21 f3.2, DA40 f2.8, along with theDA70 f2.4)- they would make for a really wonderful small,light-weight/high quality alternative when I can't/don't want to carry the K20.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2009, 11:17 PM   #3

The KM is a great camera for the price. However, you could also consider the Canon SX-10 as an economy alternative. The SX-1 is another alternative, but it is more costly.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 5:54 PM   #4

I'm leaning towards a KM. I have a K10D and a number of Pentax lenses.. Another advantage of a KM...for me, is having another K mount Pentax body would work out well with my Pentax system.

Two K mount bodies.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote