Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 18, 2009, 1:03 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachy View Post
Thanks Penolta for your response!

Do you think the picture quality would be relatively the same between the K20D and the K200D with a Pentax or Tamron 18-250mm zoom lens?

Also, I noticed that Heather mentioned something about the life of the shutter... (the K20D supposedly has 30,000 more than the K200D?!). Should this be a big reason to buy the K20D over the K200D?
The K20D sensor is capable of higher resolution then that of any of the other Pentaxes (except the new K7), but whether or not it would make a difference depends on how you intend to use the pictures. If you want to make prints larger than 8X10, then you would get better results with the K20. If you only make small prints or post pictures the size of those on these forums you might not notice the difference.

It is doubtful that any user who does not shoot hundreds of pictures each week would ever exceed the shutter life of any of these cameras - not a consideration unless you want it to last a lifetime!

This lens I recommended is relatively lightweight and compact. Why recommend a wide to telephoto lens to someone who wants landscapes and flower close-ups? 18mm is wide enough for good landscapes, and the telephoto end gives you reach in the field when you need it - it is also good for close-ups as it focuses fairly closely and lets you get that flower you can't quite reach. Here is a link to some examples of flower close-ups at the telephoto end of the Tamron lens:http://forums.steves-digicams.com/cl...ge-advice.html

Last edited by penolta; Jul 18, 2009 at 11:43 AM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 1:44 AM   #32

Hi Peachy,

Could you tell us how you work a bit. Do you go hiking, camping (weekends, week, etc.) to take your images (on your outdoor adventures)? Do you print them as Penolta asked? If so, how large a print? How much detail from the image do you transfer to your artwork?

Could you expand on what you mean with "an old P&S that just isn't cutting it for me as far as clarity and precision."?

You indicated that weight is a concern, but how about bulk - the overall volume. How do you carry your camera - around your neck while carrying a back pack? The K20 is 28 oz and the 18-55 lens is 7.8 oz for a total of 35.8 oz Other lenses would have their own weights.

On the topic of another recommendation - The reason why the LX3 is such a success is that it is so different from all of the other P&S cameras. It has a wider lens, and a much faster high quality lens (excellent for ambient low light). So there is really nothing else like it. It is pretty unique with its combination of features.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 2:34 AM   #33

Penolta, thank you for clarifying the shutter life for me. That was very helpful! (BTW I clicked on the link in your post and the page that came up was empty).

Penolta and Interested_Observer, usually I make 1 or 2 big trips in the mountains a year. Last year I hiked through the Swiss Alps and then went down and backpacked around Patagonia in South America. I really enjoyed taking pictures during my treks. But, in general, I do not like taking a lot of time to take pictures.
The only camera I own (besides the camera in my phone) is a 3px Kodak P&S that is around 6 yrs old. It has taken a lot of beating over the years and I am surprised it still works. My pictures usually turn out pretty well. When people see my pictures they think I'm an experienced photographer. (Hee hee, crazy I know). But really, the landscape is so beautiful you can't go wrong when you're taking pictures in such beautiful places.

Sometimes I go caving on the weekends, which is usually damp and dusty. I usually carry my 3px P&S in the side pocket of my pants which makes it easily accessible.

I usually go for short hikes around where I live when I don't have time to make longer trips and sometimes I just carry my camera phone with me, which has turned out to be very handy at times.

I usually do not like carrying things. That's why I don't even carry a purse.
But considering the picture quality that a SLR can provide I am willing to carry one around.

I do not plan to print out my pictures larger than 8x10, but I do view them on my 20" monitor from which I draw from. I try to be as detailed and realistic as possible when I draw, especially with my portraits. I haven't actually taken many portraits with my own camera because my 3 px P&S doesn't give me the level of detail that I would like when I draw (I usually like to see every eye lash and the details of the eye clearly). But that is why I am looking into getting a SLR. The artists I know have told me that I should get a SLR. But they prolly don't know about the LX3!

I'm planning a trip the Chicago soon and I hope to use the SLR around the City. I was thinking that I would get a shoulder bag of some sort that isn't too big that I could quickly access the camera from.

Thank you for telling me more about the LX3. I really like the size of the LX3 and its capability! But if a SLR can give me better picture quality I'm willing to deal with the bulk and weight.

I found a factory refurbished K200D with 1 yr warranty for 2/3 the price of what it normally costs, so I was thinking maybe I should go for that over the K20D. But if the K20D's picture quality is going to be noticeably better (with how I am going to use the camera) than the K200D, I might just go with the K20D.

Thanks so much for your help and advice!
peachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:49 AM   #34

Peachy-

Welcome to the Forum. There are certain strategies that might work well for you. You can select a small DSLR to reduce weight and bulk, such as a Pentax K-2000, that got a highly rated professional review earlier, or even the Olympus E-620, that just got a highly rated professional review this month.

Then you can focus on a single lens, or just two lenses maximum to reduce what you have to carry. Personally, I share some of your feelings. I often times leave the house carrying just my Pentax K-2000 with the Pentax 18-250mm lens. That allows me the ability to handle just about anything I encounter to photograph.

So you might give some consideration to keeping your DSLR as small as possible and using a single lens. And yes, I tuck the K-2000 into a small Tenbo bag that doubles as my purse too. Have a great day!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 11:27 AM   #35

Thanks for the information, which turns out to be significant....

So I cut and pasted the important items here -
- 1 or 2 big trips in the mountains a year
- taken a lot of beating
- I go caving on the weekends, which is usually damp and dusty.
- side pocket of my pants which makes it easily accessible.
- I usually do not like carrying things.
- considering the picture quality
- I do not plan to print out my pictures larger than 8x10
- I do view them on my 20" monitor from which I draw from.
- with my portraits.
- I usually like to see every eye lash and the details of the eye clearly
The beating and the damp and dusty - says at least a K200 and maybe the K20, because of the environment seals (in time you might even want to go to the K7 since it is lighter, smaller, and has a machined metal body for increased ruggedness). More importantly, rather than getting the current kit lens, you would want the sealed kit lenses (the WR lenses) that just came out with the K7. This way both the body and lenses are sealed against moisture and dust.

mountains and portraits - says that you are going to want 2 lenses. an 18-55 for landscapes (and you need to know how to do stitching - more on that later) and a 50-200 for portraits. I am no expert, however for portraits you probably need at least 70mm to 100mm. Also, you would probably want a second lens for telephoto shots in the mountains, or flower close ups. So, you might as well get them both sealed.

8x10 and 20" monitor - I think that the 10mp on the K200 would work well. Zooming in for additional detail - you could use the additional resolution of the K20.

pocket of my pants and do not like carrying things - that says the LX3, but I do not know how well it will hold up in damp and dusty situations.

caving - a toss up here. You may want to consider a flash on what ever camera you select. The new flash that is suppose to be coming out for the LX3 is suppose to be small and light.

picture quality - see every eye lash - so you would have a better probability of this with the K20, however it would all be dependent on light, thus you may need a flash in order to utilize all the resolution you have available at the sensor.

So any of the 3 - K20, K200 and LX3 would work well. The dust and moisture would push the K20 and K200 higher. Both would work very well. The resolution on either one would be way beyond what you currently have. It comes down to the weight and size that is particular to each one. Actually - in time I think you will also pickup the LX3 and have a "big" camera and a "little" one, thus sizing the camera to your particular situation at the moment.

So here is the information on the sealed lenses.. and they would work on any Pentax digital camera (*dl K100, K200, K20, K10, K7, etc.)
Standard 3X zoom focal range for a wide range of shooting applications. Weather-resistant to handle damp, inclement conditions. The PENTAX-original SP (Super Protect) coating repels dust, water and grease to keep your lens clean and your image quality at its peak. The PENTAX-original Quick-Shift Focus System allows instant switching from autofocus to manual focus operation. Aspherical elements help to compensate for spherical lens aberration. The focal length is equivalent to 27mm-84.5mm in the 35mm format. Developed specifically for PENTAX digital SLR cameras.
http://cameradeals.1001noisycameras....at-200250.html

http://cameradeals.1001noisycameras.com/pentax/

So have we spent enough of your savings account?

You could save on the 50-200 lens for portraits you really do not need to get it sealed, and you could probably find a less expensive lens in the 50-200 area maybe used for a bargain. The 18-55 would really need to be sealed, thus would help with the longevity of both the camera and lens.

You could also save money, size and weight with the K2000 - but it is not sealed.

http://www.radiantlite.com/2009/07/p...-k200-and.html

Last edited by interested_observer; Jul 18, 2009 at 11:34 AM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 11:48 AM   #36

Quote:
Penolta, thank you for clarifying the shutter life for me. That was very helpful! (BTW I clicked on the link in your post and the page that came up was empty).
The link to the Tamron flower close-ups is now corrected: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/cl...ge-advice.html

Another advantage to using a single lens out of doors is that the chance of getting dust on the sensor while you change lenses is eliminated.

Last edited by penolta; Jul 18, 2009 at 11:51 AM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 12:28 PM   #37

And thanks to Penolta-

For reminding me that another advantage of the Pentax 18-250 mm lens is the fact that you are not changing lenses many times, a real inconvenience, and you avoid the problem of dust intrusion inside the camera when changing lenses.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 18, 2009, 4:36 PM   #38

(Sigh) If only I had $$ to buy all of the great equipment suggested here!! Especially the weather sealed lens! I think it would be a great investment, but I don't have the money right now. (But I will start saving! !)

I want to only carry around one lens, at least to start out with. So I think I will opt for the 18-250mm because it seems to be the most versatile. Hopefully I'll be able to find a good deal on a used one. I hope the quality of that lens is as good as the kit 18-55mm lens...

I need the weather-resistance of the K200D or the K20D, so I'll go with one of those. Knowing me, the bigger the object is, the less likely I'll take it with me. And if I don't take it with me, then why in the world am I spending hundreds of dollars on it? So now I'm leaning towards the K200D. Plus, I doubt I'll ever take advantage of all the features of the K20D. And if I do grow out of my K200D, then maybe the K7 will be more affordable by then!

You guys have been so AMAZINGLY helpful! You've taught me SO much, I can't thank you enough! I had no idea the community here was so supportive and well informed. You guys are awesome! THANK YOU!!!

P.S. I'm thinking of getting a factory refurbished K200D with a limited 1 yr warranty. If you think this is a bad idea, then please let me know!
peachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 5:03 PM   #39

peachy-

I saw the refurbished Pentax K-200 at Best Buy for $(US) 379.99, but I did not see an mention of a 1 year limited guarantee. Where did you find the K-200 with the guarantee? Thanks.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 18, 2009, 6:06 PM   #40

Default From what I've read ...

The 18-250mm (both Tamron and Pentax badged) lenses are supposed to be at least as good as the kit lens. In fact, many people say better.

Go here for some consumer reviews: http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensrevi...uct=305&cat=43

Last edited by robbo; Jul 18, 2009 at 6:16 PM.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote