Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 18, 2009, 5:20 PM   #41

Rob-

There is equally positive enthusiasm in the Pentax DSLR folder on this Forum for the Pentax 18-250 mm lens. Personally I have one on order and hope to be able to post some sample photos before I leave on another contract on 27 July.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 5:31 PM   #42

Its 115 out, and after running around picking up stuff - I am staying inside for the duration.

The 18-250 makes a lot of sense. You can pick it up as a Pentax lens or as a Tamron lens - they are essentially the same lens. So...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.a...sku=TM18250NA2

The difference I see is that the Tamron comes with a 6 year warranty - and you have to make sure that it comes in a Pentax mount (read down in the description of the lens, since they make it in Canon, Nikon, Pentax and Sony mounts).

I think that the K200 would work out very well for you. I think that you would need to look very hard to see the additional resolution. With the smaller size - it will probably be easier overall.

For the K200D, the best I could find was the refurbished one at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....ci_sku=9348789

One note - when buying mail order through the Internet, beware of the Brooklyn NY camera stores. Check the stores reputation with
http://www.resellerratings.com/

BuyDig.com, Beach Camera, B&HPhoto.com, Adorama.com, Amazon.com are all good. Be cautious with ebay.

You have to come down and visit the Pentax dSLR forum.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...msung-dslr-73/

There are lots of folks, with years of experience and they are all VERY friendly. All are always willing to answer any question(s).

There is also a very inexpensive book that is available over the internet for $5 on the K200D that you may wish to consider... There is a free down load on part of the book that you can examine.

http://www.k10dbook.com/

Hope that helps...
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 6:27 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
peachy-

I saw the refurbished Pentax K-200 at Best Buy for $(US) 379.99, but I did not see an mention of a 1 year limited guarantee. Where did you find the K-200 with the guarantee? Thanks.

Sarah Joyce
The specification page lists a 1 year warranty, but Best Buy has only copied the new camera specifications. Pentax factory refurbished cameras carry only a 90 day parts and service warranty. A refurbished camera may be a demonstrator, a store or customer return, or a repaired camera that has been replaced under warranty. They are usually reliable, but you risk getting someone else's problems. If a manufacturer had complete confidence in the product, you would think a full warranty would be provided (some do, but not Pentax).
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 8:09 PM   #44

Thanks, Penolta-

As I understand it, it is a buyer beware situation, and I will not go for that thank you!

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:20 PM   #45

(Gulp) oh dear... I just came back from a nice day outdoors. Before I left I bought the refurbished K200D from Best Buy. :-/ I called Best Buy and asked if the refurbished K200D had the same warranty as a new K200D and they said yes, a 1 year warranty. Oh pooo, did I just get hoodwinked?

I decided to get the refurbished one because I read in another thread that someone mentioned that Best Buy had a refurbished K20D for $499 and that she had a few refurbished cameras and never had any problems with them. All the other responses to that post didn't say anything about not getting a refurbished camera. So I figured if no one discouraged the idea, it was worth a try. I wish I had waited a bit longer to read your recent posts...

Boo. Well I guess I could always return it without opening it up.

I have a limited budget so to justify getting the 18-250mm lens which is more expensive than the 18-55mm kit lens, I thot I could get a refurbished less expensive camera body. I think I read somewhere that I should invest in the lens and not the body of the camera.

BTW THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH for all your links, reviews, and explanations!!! I'm seriously speechless by the amount of information you guys are providing. I just can't believe you guys. So generous and supportive. THANK YOU!!!!
peachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 11:23 PM   #46

I'm sure you will be OK with it. Most factory refurbs are fine. The K200 does not have a reputation for failure. If there is ever a problem, however unlikely, you can fuss at Best Buy for giving you the wrong information and insist that they make it good and pay for any repair if necessary, or take it back. Print out their sale description page and the specification page for the record, so they will have to honor it as a condition of the sale.

As a general rule with cameras (or other devices) if there is going to be a problem or a failure, it usually occurs within the first few uses, so it would probably be within the shorter warranty period anyway. Now that you have got it, go ahead and use it - if you don't have a lens with the bodymake sure you get the zoom as soon as possible so you can assure yourself that the camera is OK. Maybe the one year is Best Buy's own warranty or guarantee of satisfaction - they do service many of the things they sell. Just save the box and all the papers and accessories so you can repackage it as you received it, in the unlikely event that you should have to return it.

It is even possible that it is a new camera - sometimes close-out items are sold as refurbished if they are being sold below the price they would be allowed by the manufacturer to sell a new item. Pentax does not enclose a warranty card with their products any more, so if there is nothing included that indicates it is refurbished besides the Best Buy ad, it may actually be as good as new. Proof of purchase will be needed to validate the warranty to Pentax so how it is invoiced will determine how Pentax views the warranty period.

Congratulations on your decisions, and enjoy the camera. Be sure to go to the Pentax dslr forum and post some of your pictures for us to see. We are a friendly and helpful group. Hope to see you there.

Last edited by penolta; Jul 18, 2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 4:54 PM   #47

Enjoy the camera!!! Visit the Pentax forum often and post some of your pictures.....

Enjoy!!!
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 9:05 PM   #48

You guys make me want to cry; I feel so overwhelmed by kindness. Thank you everyone soooooooo much for your detailed responses. I see that you guys are a very special group of folks. It's not common to run across folks that are so knowledgable, giving, and helpful.

It might be a while before I post a picture cuz... um, I've seen some of the pictures in the forum and I think it will be a while before I will have anything worth showing to you guys. You guys are amazing (as people and as photographers!).

When I get the camera and lense in the mail (wish there were more stores that carry Pentax), I'll test it out and see if things work!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
peachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 9:44 PM   #49

Quote:
I've seen some of the pictures in the forum and I think it will be a while before I will have anything worth showing
We were all beginners once, so there is nothing to be ashamed of. We are happy to help you improve your skills - you will learn faster with help, and we are always happy to oblige.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:01 PM   #50

Peachy-

I wanted to echo Penolta's post. You only get better by practicing, just like concert pianists do. Please join us in the Pentax DSLR Forum, and we are there to help and assist you in every way possible.

I come and go within the Pentax DSLR Forum, as I am a professional digital camera instructor, and I still have to keep working to pay the family bills, my husband is disabled, so we instruct digital cameras on cruise ships around the world. Its fun, but it makes for sort of a chopped up life style by being here for a short time and then being gone for several months.

Amyway, Peachy, you have made a great decision by purchasing the Pentax D-200 camera. Enjoy yur new camera, and come visit us on the Pentax DSLR Forum.

Sarah Joyce