Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 15, 2009, 7:50 PM   #1

I've started using a DSLR over a year ago and I like my D40x. However, now I want a faster, better, a newer camera. I want more control, such as white balance etc.

Anyway the body only prices for D90 and D200 are fairly close on amazon.com. I cannot make up my mind between those two. D90 is a new model and D200 has been replaced. D90 is a smaller and a less pro camera in my opinion. But being the new technology and just being released recently may give the advantage to it? GPS tagging and more megapixels may be an advantage too.

This is my hobby so it is not like I am a pro. Any opinion, suggestions is welcomed.

Thanks.
Cyrus14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2009, 9:54 PM   #2

D90 is the better camera. But I'm curious - what type of photography do you do? Sometimes it isn't a newer camera body that can have the most impact it's a better lens or flash or other accessory.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2009, 10:28 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I have been reading other forums; it sounds like because of the sensor and the newer technology people are leaning towards D90 in liue of the D200 even though D90 is not as pro.

You also made me think why I wanna new camera besides the fact that it has been awhile I made a major electronic purchase and I am probably itching to spend some money. And I want some new toy to play with. I think what I want is more controls such as the temperature setting for the white balance, faster FPS and more control over the ISO etc. So probably I dont really need a new camera, yet I keep looking at it and have been wanting to buy one. But if it is going to provide better quality pictures, sharper pictures, it may be worth it.

I don't think there is one category for me since it is just a hobby. I have a 50mm f1.8 lens that I started taking portraits. I also take pictures of dogs at the dog park while they are running etc. But when I go to a football game, or I am taking action shots, I feel like the D40x is not fast enough as far as continuous shooting goes.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 10:29 PM   #4

Since now I have iPhoto 09 with the geotagging, I would like to start using the geotagging. So I guess D90 with an accessory will allow me do that. I dont think D200 can do that, can it?
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:17 AM   #5

OK - the easy part first. I can't really think of any good reason to select the d200 over the d90. You talk about the d200 being "more pro" - what makes you say that? The fact it is a Dxxx and not a Dxx model?

Taking shots of dogs at the dog part - the lens will make a difference here too. The better AF system in the D90 over the d40 will help but you still need a quality lens to get quality results.

For football, getting decent shots will depend in large part on the lens used and your location. What level football are we talking about here? And, for that matter - which 'game' of football - I don't see a country in your profile so do you mean American football or European? What level of play? HS, pro? Are you on the sidelines or in the stands? What lens(es) do you currently have?

Quote:
But if it is going to provide better quality pictures, sharper pictures, it may be worth it.
the answer is: it depends. The D90 has a better AF system, better high ISO performance. But technique, the proper lens, the proper use of flash will have a much larger impact on your success. Case in point, if you're sitting in the stands at a HS football game trying to take photos of action under the lights, the kit lens won't cut it and neither will shooting from the stands.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:30 AM   #6

Unless you need the better build quality, the D90 is the better camera. As JohnG said, your lens will have a big impact on your success.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2009, 2:50 PM   #7

Thanks for all the response. I did order the D90 and I received it today. I just played with it for 10-15 minutes since I had to get back to work, but it looks like it is an awesome camera and I love it. I feel like I made the right choice over the D200 thanks to y'all.