Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:50 AM   #1

Hi
I am looking for a new camera to replace (upgrade) from my current Fuji E900.
I want everything (of course !!) but most important is
Sharpness
Good zoom
Good in low light - I take a lot of pictures at gigs (inside and out) so it needs to have the ability to render decent fleshtones and to cope with "noise"
I also need it to be compact (ish) as I don't want a DSLR as I got fed up with using up all my luggage space on camera equipment !!
Any suggestions ?
I started off looking at the Fuji s1000fd
I then looked at the Nikon P80, the Canon SX1 1S and the Panasonic DMC FZ28
Price is not really a problem but I would like to be about £300 tops (though if there's something exceptional I could stretch this)
Thanks for any help
surreyseagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2009, 1:26 PM   #2
Super Moderator

As a Canon SX1 user I would have to advise you get the Panasonic FZ28 for your needs. The better option is the Panasonic LX3 but probably the zoom will not be enough for your needs but the low light ability is probably the best in the non dSLR camera ranges.

The SX1 is great but the lens is not bright enough when you start zooming and if I wasn't using it to shoot a lot of video then I would have had the FZ28. I also have 3 Canon dSLRs for my Pro work and a Panasonic TZ5 when I need something to just slip in a pocket.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 6:37 PM   #3

Cheers for that Mark - I will check out that one.

surreyseagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2009, 12:06 AM   #4

As per my opinion i would suggest u to go for Canon PowerShot SX1 IS as its very demanding now a days in market than Nikon P80. I have Canon PowerShot SX1 and i didn't find any problem till as i have taken it before 2 months from UK.

I am suggesting Canon PowerShot SX1 IS because i get best digital camera reviews of this model among of all camera reviews
[align=left]The Canon PowerShot SX1 IS camera is the second 20x super-zoom model from the Japanese giant, and the big brother of the SX 10 IS that we reviewed at the end of 2008. Offering a lens equivalent to a massive 28-560mm focal length, Canon have included image stabilisation to help ensure that the majority of your shots are sharp, plus Ultrasonic Motor (USM) and Voice Coil Motor (VCM) technologies that promise fast, accurate and quiet zooming and focusing.
[/align] The 10 megapixel PowerShot SX1 IS also features Canon's new DIGIC 4 processor, full manual control over both aperture and shutter speed and an electronic viewfinder. Key differences from the SX10 IS include a larger 2.7" LCD screen, faster 4fps continuous shooting, a CMOS sensor (instead of CCD) and most notably the ability to shoot full 1080p HD video (1920x1080 pixels at 30 frames per second).

Priced at £529 / €679.99, Gavin Stoker discovered if the Canon PowerShot SX1 IS is worth the substantial price-premium of £160 / €210 when compared with the SX10 IS.

markpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2009, 5:00 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Hi Mark and welcome to Steve's.

I agree that the SX1 is a good camera with many great features but it simply isn't the best option for what the original poster is requesting. Mostly this is due to the lens, which although long, it lets less light in than the FZ28 at the longer end by over 50%. The FZ28 is still not ideal which is why the LX3 gets a mention as low light is its strength however zoom is not.

I'm not sure where you copied all of your information from but the links you used have been picked up previously as spam so they have been deleted.

Would love to see some of your SX1 shots as there are a lot of people here interesting in this camera so it is good to share what others are doing. You can either post in the Canon point and shoot section or there are specific sections for different types of photography.

Thanks,

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2009, 5:15 AM   #6

you may me laugh but i suggest you to wait for .... F200 :-)

other cameras ... not fit very well
s800 maybe ?
S1000 shoot veeery slow, IMO.
maybe this filed in upcoming S2000, who knows ?[no review yet].but in terms of image quality - E900 itself - beats most enumerated here cameras.
if you not too stick to "compackt&lightweight" camera - take look at S100 - these 1 kg camera shots unbelibwable good for ultrazoom P&S[even for top model].
and constly, yes[ i wonder why fuji add tiltscreen LCD, while even not all mid-level DSL have it(mostly need for reporter usage(mean - Proffesional)), for example].

*awaits S8100 replacement and S100 maybe*
SkyShoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote