Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 21, 2009, 2:49 PM   #1

Im looking to step up from a point and shoot camera. My budget is around 1,000.

Is there a huge difference between the XSI and the 40D?

Looking to shoot indoor sports of my kids. Can I do that with the XSI?

Any and all info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Don
donnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2009, 3:00 PM   #2

The 40D is sturdier and has a faster burst mode and good high ISO image quality, which is good for sports photographers. From what you've said about your plans, I would probably recommend the 40D. It has higher available ISO settings, essential for low light shooting. You might eventually have to invest in some fast lenses, though. John is the expert on that.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2009, 3:11 PM   #3

I agree with Robbo - if it's indoor sports you want to step up to the 40d. You'll probably need the ISO 3200 capability at some point. Unfortunately the body is only part of the equation - you need the right lens for the job. What sports are you wanting to shoot and at what level (i.e. middleschool, high school, etc.) and where will you be shooting from (for example shooting swimming from the stands will be difficult to get many good shots but volleyball from stands isn't as much of a problem).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2009, 4:31 PM   #4

The sports for the kids would be swimming, cheerleading, hockey, and baseball.

I can be on the sidelines.

Can I get those shots with the XSI? Im really not looking to spend 1,000 for the body. But, it appears that is what I may have to do since you all dont think the xsi can handle the low light.
donnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 2:18 PM   #5

Don,

It's always a toss-up as to whether or not ISO 1600 will get you fast enough shutter speeds. Shooting at ISO 1600 indoors often requires prime lenses - something like the 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.0 or 135mm 2.0.

The challenge with hockey and swimming is you really need a variety of focal lengths so they're difficult sports to shoot with a prime lens. It's very beneficial to use a 70-200 2.8. Those are a bit pricy though. The least expensive option with fast enough focus speed is the sigma 70-200 2.8 for about $800. So, not only do you have to spend $1000 on the body you have to spend $800 on a lens. The $1100 canon version (without IS) is better but the sigma is good enough and less expensive.

Baseball - what level? If it's a full field diamond then you need at least 300mm if you're shooting from on the field/dugout. Otherwise you need something in the 400-500mm range. So, that's another lens entirely from your indoor lens - unless it's teeball or something in which case the 200mm lens will do.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote