Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 23, 2009, 5:42 PM   #1

Does anyone know of a cheap camera. ( I don't care what it looks like. Just that I can adjust the settings like a DSLR & also adjust the aperture. ) I need it to be cheap though, and can be had on eBay. I don't care what it looks like (big/bulky) just that it takes good pictures and I can adjust the aperture and other settings.

Anyone?

Most of the pictures I take will probably be posted online and very VERY few printer out.
Jester2893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2009, 9:29 AM   #2

Canon A590 IS

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 9:28 AM   #3

There are many P&S cameras that have "manual settings and aperture adjustments" if you mean manually controlling exposure factors including aperture. Virtually all the "super-zoom" class cameras (Kodak Z*12 series, Canon S* series, Panasonic FZ* series, Sony H* series to name a few) have that feature as well as the the larger pocket and/or "compact" cameras. The key identifier is PASM - Program, Aperture, Shutter, Manual.

If you include manual focus within the manual settings definition most have that as well but the actual usability of that function varies widely. If your manual settings definition includes custom white balance then the list gets a bit smaller and then it drops to about a hand full if your definition includes RAW.

A. C.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 7:10 PM   #4

It seems like I am at this again.

I was talking to a friend recently and they said an A590IS would not be good for moving car pictures and things like that. (not sure why?)

Basically most of my pictures will be taken outdoors.
I need a cheap camera for 150$ or less that has aperture adjustment. I really want a DSLR so I can get the hang of things, but the problem is I don't think I can get a DSLR (OLD/USED) for that cheap?
As to why I started exploring my other options just as the Fuji FinePix S1000FD?

Any good of a camera?
Any other options?

Old Mar 26, 2009, 12:04 PM   #5

Go on ebay and you can buy an older model dslr with all the manual settings you want for 150 dollars
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 12:55 PM   #6

If you can get a functioning DSLR with lens for $150 or less, go for it.

The Canon A590 is a good point and shoot camera with lots of possible manual adjustments. If you are planning to take pictures of race cars, it might not have a short enough shutter lag or enough zoom for you, unless you are right up next to the fence.

The Fuji S1000fd is a superzoom camera. Whereas the A590 zooms out only to 140mm, the S1000fd will go all the wayout toalmost 400mm. That means you can zoom closer in on distant objects.The S1000fdwill be ok for daylight shots. It will be ok for lower light shots of people and things close to you, if you use a flash. It doesn't have optical image stabilization, which will make it hard to take non-blurred shots in low light. It, too, might have problems with shutter lag though that problem can be minimized with pre-focus (pushing the shutter button half-way).
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 1:02 PM   #7

eharrim wrote:
Quote:
Go on ebay and you can buy an older model dslr with all the manual settings you want for 150 dollars
Any models you can suggest that would be that much or less?
Old Mar 26, 2009, 1:03 PM   #8

robbo wrote:
Quote:
If you can get a functioning DSLR with lens for $150 or less, go for it.

The Canon A590 is a good point and shoot camera with lots of possible manual adjustments. If you are planning to take pictures of race cars, it might not have a short enough shutter lag or enough zoom for you, unless you are right up next to the fence.

The Fuji S1000fd is a superzoom camera. Whereas the A590 zooms out only to 140mm, the S1000fd will go all the wayout toalmost 400mm. That means you can zoom closer in on distant objects.The S1000fdwill be ok for daylight shots. It will be ok for lower light shots of people and things close to you, if you use a flash. It doesn't have optical image stabilization, which will make it hard to take non-blurred shots in low light. It, too, might have problems with shutter lag though that problem can be minimized with pre-focus (pushing the shutter button half-way).
Looks to me as the Fuji would get me better results for my personal style.
Do you possibly know if I can get an adapter piece (like the A590IS) which will let me use a fish eye lens and others?