Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 25, 2009, 8:25 PM   #21

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
OK,

back on point - there's an important aspect of AF that you won't learn from reading reviews - for sports work it's important how good the AF TRACKING is. Most reviews that talk about AF are refering to single shot performance - ability to lock on a target and get one shot. That is only part of the puzzle. As for the E3 being the fastest - that claim is from Olympus. The reality is you're not going to see a single Nikon D3, D700, D300 or Canon 1-series or 50d sell off their gear to buy an E-3 and expect better focus performance. So far I haven't seen anything from an E-3 user in the sports field that competes with the shots the Canon and Nikon folks are getting. To be fair, that's mostly because sports shooters primarily flock to canon & nikon. So the challenge for Oly is actually attracting accomplished sports shooters to use the E-3 and prove it out in the field. But, as of now, I've seen nothing that says the E-3 is in the same league as the above cameras in the field for sports shooting purposes.

Every manufacturer makes marketing claims - I wouldn't pay them much heed. The great thing about photography is you should be able to see for yourself. The reality is, the OP isn't considering cameras in the E3 range. And no, Olys cameras below the E3 can't compete focus wise with canon or nikon, not to mention high ISO wise. If the OP is intent on sticking with budget lenses, the Pentax is probably better option than Oly or Sony at the low model level. And without the right lenses the better af performance of the canon won't be fully realized.

John,

I really appreciate your input (and everyone else's for that matter).

I didn't mean to come off as a jerk or anything - I'm not ignoring your advice on lenses - I'm just trying to state my current situation. Which is I'm not going to spend a ton of money on lenses right now. So it'll be the kit lens, and, maybe in a few months or so, a telephoto.

I understand that to get better shots I'm going to need to have better lenses. I'm not expecting to take award-winning shots. It'd be nice, but I'm realistic about my abilities - which aren't that good right now.

If I understand you right, it seems to boil down to this:

- Canon is the better system for sports.

- But to take advantage of its Auto Focus you're going to need to invest in better lenses.

- If you're not willing to do so, the differences between the XSi and the K200D are probably minor.
Edward B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 1:51 AM   #22

For me at least, the Canon XSi is clearly the choice.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 7:42 AM   #23

Edward B. wrote:
Quote:
I recently purchased a Pentax K200D and it arrived in the mail last week, but I haven't shot at all with it because I've been reading about Pentax's poor autofocus performance.
Let's be clear. The Pentax K200D doesn't have a poor autofocus system. Certainly some dSLRs have better autofocus systems (like the Canon XSi and the Sony A700), but some also have worse autofocus systems (like the Nikon D60 and the Olympus E520.)

Edward B. wrote:
Quote:
I had to drive an hour and a half to find a store that had on hand. As soon as I held it and took a couple of shots, I was pretty much sold.

It's probably a stupid reason to buy a camera, but it felt very comfortable and reassuring. The XSi felt a little too light and small in my hands - not so on the Pentax.
I don't think anyone here has told you that it's "probably a stupid reason to buy a camera." In fact, I think most people here will tell you that it's an excellent reason to buy a camera. And if you don't like the feel of the XSi, then you shouldn't buy it. If the camera isn't comfortable in your hands, if you can't find the controls and commands when you need them, then the camera will not work well for you. So if you don't like the feel of the XSi and anticipate that the autofocus system in the K200Dwon't suit your needs, you should probably look for a third choice.

Edward B. wrote:
Quote:
Here's what I'm anticipating shooting:

People - Especially candid photography, people moving, doing things, etc.

Sports - Not professionally, but I would like to be able to take pictures at high school basketball games, etc.
If you want to shoot sports, you need a good autofocus system. That doesn't necessarily mean you need something better than the K200D. There are people here that have had some success shooting sports with K200Ds, but as JohnG has pointed out, the lens is crucial. And since Canon has a great selection of lenses that are good for sports, and a great autofocus system for sports, perhaps you should be looking for a Canon dSLR that you would feel more comfortable with.

But now we're talking about spending a lot more money. In fact, the Canon 40D is the next step up the Canon ladder, and it costs more than your Pentax plus a Tamron 70-300 Di LD (for outdoor sports)plus a Pentax 50mm f/1.4 (for indoor sports).

It's your choice, but I think I'd open the box.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 4:21 PM   #24

So if I'm not willing/able to invest in $400 and up lenses any time soon then the differences between the two cameras are probably not that profound?

As you can tell, I'm trying to sell myself on the K200D

I obviously like what little I know about the camera, but I'm also worried that because of that I'm trying to blind myself to the faults of the camera.

I'm so indecisive it's pathetic. Well, one way or another I'll have a decision made by tomorrow afternoon as that's the deadline to return the camera.

Again – thanks for the advice so far.
Edward B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 7:18 PM   #25

Edward B. wrote:
Quote:
So if I'm not willing/able to invest in $400 and up lenses any time soon then the differences between the two cameras are probably not that profound?
Not quite.

If you're not willing/ableto invest another $400 in a better camera, you'll have to make a decision between a camera that would be very good at what you want to do but that felt a little too light and small in your hands, or a camera that felt very comfortable and reassuring and that might be OK for what you want to do.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 8:15 PM   #26

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Edward B. wrote:
Quote:
Not quite.

If you're not willing/ableto invest another $400 in a better camera, you'll have to make a decision between a camera that would be very good at what you want to do but that felt a little too light and small in your hands, or a camera that felt very comfortable and reassuring and that might be OK for what you want to do.
Actually, Edward is right - at least about the sports work. Without the right lens you're not going to get good shots with any camera. Even my 1d will take poor sprts shots with the wrong lens. Given that, it's best to consider the features that will impact the other types of photography the OP wants to do. From what he's said I don't see that the xsi will perform any better.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 8:34 PM   #27

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Actually, Edward is right - at least about the sports work. Without the right lens you're not going to get good shots with any camera. Even my 1d will take poor sprts shots with the wrong lens. Given that, it's best to consider the features that will impact the other types of photography the OP wants to do. From what he's said I don't see that the xsi will perform any better.
So, if the XSi won't perform any better, and he doesn't like it, it's not a good choice. Right?

Either he spends a lot more money on a 40D (or the like) or he does what he can with the K200D that he has and likes. Right?
Old Feb 26, 2009, 9:28 PM   #28

I looked long and hard at an XSi before I got my K200D. I don't regret having chosen the K200D as it was the best deal my budget would allow. If, some day in the distant future, I made photography a career or serious money making hobby, I would go for the more expensive camera and lenses.

If Edward B, is really uncertain about what he wants to get, he can take the K200D back tomorrow, get himself an XSi, try it out for a couple of weeks and then decide if he wants to keep it.If he decides to return it, he can pay the restocking fee and get a better choice. He seems to be a realistic guy, and probably won't demand pro performance from an entry level DSLR kit lens, and inexpensive zoom telephoto.

Edward B, whatever you choose, we are with you! Just try to relax and enjoy your picture taking.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 11:55 PM   #29

Hi Edward,

I went to the Pentax forum and did a search for "sports" "ball" and "basket". Here are some of the results.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...ghlight=sports

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...ghlight=sports

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...highlight=ball

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...ghlight=basket

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...ghlight=basket

There is no perfect selection, no perfect camera, no perfect decision. You need to make a decision on what you can afford (and nearly all of us only have a limited checkbook), with a camera that is able to perform to an acceptable level. That means that not all the shots will be perfect or acceptable, however an percentage of the shots will be acceptable. You have to determine if that is sufficient. Through experience, trial and error, timing the shot and such techniques with other methods that you will learn, that will increase this percentage, however this will take some time and work. It will not be overnight, but it will come.

Spending more money will make it easier, however by not spending the funds will not make it impossible. Film is now essentially free, so you can shoot away. The more you shoot, the more acceptable shots you will have.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2009, 12:17 AM   #30

... here are a few more.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...ghlight=Soccer

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote